Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2016, 06:42 PM

Lightbulb Shimergo in 2016? 11 speed Campy w/ 9 sp Shimano

Hello,

I'm slowly accumulating parts for my new 650b-everywhere-do-everything bike and wanted to know what folks' experiences are with Shimergo these days.

Having Campy brifters and a wide gear range is a must for me, and from Googling it looks like I should be looking into recent Campy 11 stuff and mating it with a Shimano 9 speed cassette.

However, I wanted your esteemed opinions on this endeavor. Is this still relegated to mad scientists and fringe eccentrics, or is this feasible without much tinkering these days?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2016, 07:03 PM

My buddy used C11 to Shiftmate to SRAM Exact Actuation 10s RD and cassette on a recent tour and it performed without flaw.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:06 PM

Should work just fine. Campy Ergo 11 controls are known to be compatible with Shimano mechanisms (models prior to the long arm road and Dynasys series) for operation over 9 speed Shimano/Sram cassettes.

Campy 10 Ergos will operate Shimano 9 cassettes with the aforementioned mechanisms if they're are cabled with that funky hubbub cable clamping method.

Campy 10 Ergos and Sram Exact Actuation mechanisms can shift Shimano 10 cassettes too, but it seems variable. This is getting into the fringe stuff to which you refer.

I'm running Campy 10 Veloce Ergo controls and Sram Rival rear derailleurs to shift KMC chains over Shimano 11-28 10 speed cassettes with 34/50 cranks on a few different bikes. I've noticed that this combo shifts the outer two cogs better if the bike has thicker dropouts and replaceable derailleur hangers. It's not as good on steel frames with integrated hangers. On these bikes the first cog is closer to the face of the hanger and the high limit is set further out on the derailleur. The 1st-2nd outer cog shift will over shoot and be noisy, and the 3rd-2nd might not shift at all when the bike is in the inner chain ring.

I think it's the combination of non-uniform Campy cable pull, and the way the Sram derailleur's cable guide changes the amount of cable deflection as the mechanism moves further outward... some kind of over compensation is happening here.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:54 PM

My Mini Velo is equipped with a Jtek Shiftmate 4 mating Campy 11 Ergos to Shimano derailleurs and 10 speed cassette. It functions absolutely flawlessly, I'd highly recommend any of the Shiftmates for their intended uses.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:58 PM

http://wheelsmfg.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=cassettes

Just run 11 speed.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:47 PM

It depends how wide you want your gearing to be. But you have more options beyond 9 speed.

- The new 11 speed Potenza has a medium cage rd option and a 32t cassette. Or you can use a Shimano 32t cassette like 105 or Ultegra.

- Pre- 2015 Shifters will work with an Athena Medium cage derailleur or Campy 10sp medium or long cage derailleurs, and Potenza 32t cassette or Shimano 32t cassette. This mod for the cable clamp is useful:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/com...in-160601.html

-If you want super wide- 11-40 Shimano mtb cassette:
https://branfordbicycle.wordpress.co...y-drivetrains/

Best of luck with your build. It sound awesome!
Old 08-21-2016, 11:56 PM

Sup slowpoke

Here's a good thread about 11 speed CampyMano. Let me know how your experiment goes!
Old 08-22-2016, 05:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Hello,

I'm slowly accumulating parts for my new 650b-everywhere-do-everything bike and wanted to know what folks' experiences are with Shimergo these days.

Having Campy brifters and a wide gear range is a must for me, and from Googling it looks like I should be looking into recent Campy 11 stuff and mating it with a Shimano 9 speed cassette.

However, I wanted your esteemed opinions on this endeavor. Is this still relegated to mad scientists and fringe eccentrics, or is this feasible without much tinkering these days?

Thanks!
Get an Athena or Potenza longer cage rear der and the Campag cogset that goes to 32t..or if ya got a 11s rear wheel, a 6800 11-32..with same rear der choices.

If ya got a 10s shimano wheel, use 10 of 11 cogs..take out a 18t..or take out the 11t and find a 11s first position 12t.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-22-2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:02 PM

To answer your question - Campy 11 shifters plus Shimano 9 speed cassette and rear derailleur (can use 10 speed derailleur too) works great. Been using that for 4ish years.

Front shifting was dicier for me - couldn't get the 105 triple der to work so I wound up with an older Mirage triple front derailleur. Shifted 50-39-28 and now 45-28 (vistigial 50) with no ramps and circa 1983 spacing just fine.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_K View Post
To answer your question - Campy 11 shifters plus Shimano 9 speed cassette and rear derailleur (can use 10 speed derailleur too) works great. Been using that for 4ish years.
I agree that this works, but it's not as smooth as C10 to Shimano 8 or any combination that uses a Shiftmate.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:49 PM

I use

Campy 10 Ergos will operate Shimano 9 cassettes

using a campy rear mech
Old 08-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
Campy 10 Ergos will operate Shimano 9 cassettes

using a campy rear mech
That's true too. Ctr cog to Ctr cog differences are smaller between Campag 10s and shimano 9s than Campag 10s and shimano 10s.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:41 PM

Potenza 11 may be the key

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I was hesitant to use J-Tek because they seemed iffy a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eak12 View Post
It depends how wide you want your gearing to be. But you have more options beyond 9 speed.

- The new 11 speed Potenza has a medium cage rd option and a 32t cassette. Or you can use a Shimano 32t cassette like 105 or Ultegra.
[/url]
Whoa, whoa, whoaaa.. Potenza looks awesome! Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Get an Athena or Potenza longer cage rear der and the Campag cogset that goes to 32t..or if ya got a 11s rear wheel, a 6800 11-32..with same rear der choices.
Hmmm... So I'm thinking of picking up Potenza 11 shifters + medium rear mech (72.5mm length, finally) + front mech and pairing those with Shimano 6800. In that case, this Campagnolo 11 to Shimano 11 mating should work, right?

/me checks wallet and prices of new Campy Potenza..
Old 08-25-2016, 05:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Thanks for all the responses everyone! I was hesitant to use J-Tek because they seemed iffy a few years ago.

Whoa, whoa, whoaaa.. Potenza looks awesome! Thanks for the recommendation.

Hmmm... So I'm thinking of picking up Potenza 11 shifters + medium rear mech (72.5mm length, finally) + front mech and pairing those with Shimano 6800. In that case, this Campagnolo 11 to Shimano 11 mating should work, right?

/me checks wallet and prices of new Campy Potenza..
Yup..11s spacing for all intents and purposes, are identical. Even Wayne Stetina, who has the keys to the front door at Shimano, USA in Irvine, told me he has a Campagnolo wheel on his shimano 9000 bike that works 'flawlessly', his words, to see if shimano 11s was intercompatible..since shimano chooses to not make a Campag compatible hub or wheel.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:53 PM
roadeoheller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eak12 View Post
Pre- 2015 Shifters will work with...

Bumping this back for an inquiry....
Is there and conflict with using 2016 or later shifters for Shimergo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
campagnolo, drivetrain, mechanic, shifters, shimergo