Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2021, 03:25 PM

Wouldn’t get one of these for speed. I’d get one for the pleasure of riding. And from my testing, it is very pleasurable indeed. Fantastic even. And I’m talking of the low-end Expert build with cheap wheels. Way, way, way nicer riding this than my 8-year old Cervelo RS.

It would get me out riding more if nothing else.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:55 PM
Deconditioned!

Has Specialized achieved something really specialized in the Atheos?

Yo! Over the course of my life, no matter the thing, I've not really been an early adopter. I've decided to change that on a few things. Bikes being one.

I'm not old, I'm not young. I turn 50 this year. I still have some good years with a little stomp in my legs. I don't race any longer (I was never really that good anyhow. Made it to Cat 3 and got tired of getting blown out of the field in the 1/2/3 races). I still really enjoy the high performance aspect of riding. Not all the time (Kona Rove ST/partypace bike), but I certainly get giddy when things get fast.

So I pulled the trigger on the S-Works Aethos when they first came out. I'm impressed and happy. Had my F8 had clearance for wider rubber, I would have been content. The F8 has the most pure race/speed/yada yada. I had rub on the chain stays with 28s though. However, I loved it. I wanted to try something with the same/similar performance with more clearance. The Aethos came along just then.

For reference. I ride a 58. The Specialized/Tarmac geo has always just "worked" for me. While I've never owned a Tarmac, I've ridden them over the varying iterations. I always got on well handling/geo. I'm 6'2", 200 lb. Summer down to 190, winter (beer season) up to 210. In other words, I'm a big rider.

It's really hard to say, and everyone's experiences/perceptions are different. The Aethos is truly good. The ride quality is there (especially with 32 RH tires). I won't water down the ride quality to say it's the wider rubber though. I have ridden it with 28s. Same great ride quality. I've heard from other regarding other top end race rigs, like a Cannondale, that they are stiff and not great for long rides. I could ride this bike all day long and be very happy. The handling is also very good. It's race bike handling without being twitchy. I can come out of a corner, be going slightly downhill and sit up no-handed. I mention this because riding no-handed is not something I do on twitchy bikes. The bike is composed. I like very aggressive descending. If folks have read many of my posts, you've seen that I'm an ex-motorcycle racer. I like speed, as a sensation on a bike, more than I likely should. I like when a descent has twists and turns and lumps and bumps. I like it smooth, but I also like when the bike bucks around a little. Decker Canyon in Malibu is a technical descent that a person better be up for the task if going fast. There can be some serious wind off the ocean. It's also VERY fast with the grades there. I was in the top 15% in Strava there without really trying. I say this to say that a bike's handling downhill is where I judge it. I look forward to the day I can visit Malibu again with this bike unde me! Cruising on flat roads at 15-18 mph is where we mostly live...but the downhills is what makes a ride (for me). Notice I haven't really mentioned climbing. That's because of my size. I climb like dragging anchor. That said, the bike's low weight is certainly noticeable. I won't say (or even care) that I may climb a bit faster. For me, this is not that conversation. What I do feel is the efficiency and acceleration when pushing on the pedals. This is true whether I'm trying to close a gap a riding partner, or trying to keep things going when climbing. But this efficiecy/jump is what good carbon bikes do. To me, it's what is most noticeable about them. My steel and Ti bikes do not have this feeling of immediacy when pouring on the power. The low weight also makes it fun when throwing the bike back and forth. It's very noticeable. The handling of the Aethos is sublime. It's a light touch. It goes where I want it to without really any effort. Lean in, or push the saddle with inside of my outer thigh for mid-corner adjustments. Yet, while being quite flickable, it's also stable. It does not feel like a leaf in the wind. No twitching about. I would dislike that feeling. There's likely ride quality/compliance from the slender seat stays (no brake bridge) and also how much post is exposed due to the slope of the TT. I know many dislike a sloping TT. I get that. This is not that bike, nor that discussion. This expose is all about the bike's feel and handling.

The aesthetics of the bike really speak to me. I dislike S's big and bold branding on things. This is the opposite. Aside from the "S" on the headtube, there's not much. The paint is sweet. It looks amazing. I rarely, if ever, see others. I have a few friends I ride with. We all have sweet bikes so nobody thinks I'm trying (or care) to impress. That's not me. I could care less what someone at the coffee shop/beer stop thinks of my bike. Rather, I'd prefer they didn't notice as I'm not looking to chit chat with strangers. I'm there to jaw with my buddies.

I wanted to have one last go at a go fast, modern carbon bike with all the most up to date bits (AXS, integrated handle bar/stem (I cringe a bit a "cockpit")). Aside from the power meter, as I don't care, I like how the bike is configured. It's fun. It's fast. It feels amazing. Any 58ers that are nearby, the invite to give it a whirl is open.

I think Specialized did a good thing with this bike. I think we'll see it ripple through the industry with other makers working to sort out similar offerings.

What's not to like?

Last edited by lavi; 03-08-2021 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:59 PM
Deconditioned!

Forgot to add. There's nothing about this bike that feels fragile. I have zero concerns it'll disintegrate underneath me. It's stiff. There is no give when standing and pushing on things. As mentioned in my other post though, while stiff, it's not harsh at all. It's stiff because it's a high end carbon fiber bike.

Last edited by lavi; 03-08-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Any 58ers that are nearby, the invite to give it a whirl is open.

I'll be over this weekend!
Old 03-08-2021, 04:06 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
I'll be over this weekend!
All yours!
Old 03-08-2021, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Unlike so many of us here who are just guessing about ride quality and fragility (or lack thereof), your experience is truly appreciated.

Quote:
Forgot to add. There's nothing about this bike that feels fragile. I have zero concerns it'll disintegrate underneath me. It's stiff. There is no give when standing and pushing on things. As mentioned in my other post though, while stiff, it's not harsh at all. It's stiff because it's a high end carbon fiber bike.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Unlike so many of us here who are just guessing about ride quality and fragility (or lack thereof), your experience is truly appreciated.
I think it feels a lot like a steel frame...but light.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
At the risk of sounding like Hambini, it's astounding what we accept as quality control in this industry. Check with any bike shop manager for a Specialized retailer and ask them how many S-Works Tarmacs crack from JRA. If you were buying a $100K Lexus that sold 10k units would you accept a 1% engine failure rate. As in 100 units literally exploding, personally knowing a few unfortunate owners?

That said I know a guy who has gone through 4RDs, 2 cranksets, 3 sets of shifters, countless pedals while putting over 200K miles on a 2011 Tarmac. Carbon in bike applications is an interesting material.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Many people don't buy bikes to impress other people -- they buy bikes to ride them.
Wait, what?
Old 03-08-2021, 07:03 PM

Great write-up, thanks very much! I love hearing about these bikes. I could never fit on one, the stack is too low and the reach is too long. But they are cool.
How much more seatpost is in the frame? That looks like a big load on the frame, if it can take that, it's pretty rugged.

Quote:
Yo! Over the course of my life, no matter the thing, I've not really been an early adopter. I've decided to change that on a few things. Bikes being one.

I'm not old, I'm not young. I turn 50 this year. I still have some good years with a little stomp in my legs. I don't race any longer (I was never really that good anyhow. Made it to Cat 3 and got tired of getting blown out of the field in the 1/2/3 races). I still really enjoy the high performance aspect of riding. Not all the time (Kona Rove ST/partypace bike), but I certainly get giddy when things get fast.

So I pulled the trigger on the S-Works Aethos when they first came out. I'm impressed and happy. Had my F8 had clearance for wider rubber, I would have been content. The F8 has the most pure race/speed/yada yada. I had rub on the chain stays with 28s though. However, I loved it. I wanted to try something with the same/similar performance with more clearance. The Aethos came along just then.

For reference. I ride a 58. The Specialized/Tarmac geo has always just "worked" for me. While I've never owned a Tarmac, I've ridden them over the varying iterations. I always got on well handling/geo. I'm 6'2", 200 lb. Summer down to 190, winter (beer season) up to 210. In other words, I'm a big rider.

It's really hard to say, and everyone's experiences/perceptions are different. The Aethos is truly good. The ride quality is there (especially with 32 RH tires). I won't water down the ride quality to say it's the wider rubber though. I have ridden it with 28s. Same great ride quality. I've heard from other regarding other top end race rigs, like a Cannondale, that they are stiff and not great for long rides. I could ride this bike all day long and be very happy. The handling is also very good. It's race bike handling without being twitchy. I can come out of a corner, be going slightly downhill and sit up no-handed. I mention this because riding no-handed is not something I do on twitchy bikes. The bike is composed. I like very aggressive descending. If folks have read many of my posts, you've seen that I'm an ex-motorcycle racer. I like speed, as a sensation on a bike, more than I likely should. I like when a descent has twists and turns and lumps and bumps. I like it smooth, but I also like when the bike bucks around a little. Decker Canyon in Malibu is a technical descent that a person better be up for the task if going fast. There can be some serious wind off the ocean. It's also VERY fast with the grades there. I was in the top 15% in Strava there without really trying. I say this to say that a bike's handling downhill is where I judge it. I look forward to the day I can visit Malibu again with this bike unde me! Cruising on flat roads at 15-18 mph is where we mostly live...but the downhills is what makes a ride (for me). Notice I haven't really mentioned climbing. That's because of my size. I climb like dragging anchor. That said, the bike's low weight is certainly noticeable. I won't say (or even care) that I may climb a bit faster. For me, this is not that conversation. What I do feel is the efficiency and acceleration when pushing on the pedals. This is true whether I'm trying to close a gap a riding partner, or trying to keep things going when climbing. But this efficiecy/jump is what good carbon bikes do. To me, it's what is most noticeable about them. My steel and Ti bikes do not have this feeling of immediacy when pouring on the power. The low weight also makes it fun when throwing the bike back and forth. It's very noticeable. The handling of the Aethos is sublime. It's a light touch. It goes where I want it to without really any effort. Lean in, or push the saddle with inside of my outer thigh for mid-corner adjustments. Yet, while being quite flickable, it's also stable. It does not feel like a leaf in the wind. No twitching about. I would dislike that feeling. There's likely ride quality/compliance from the slender seat stays (no brake bridge) and also how much post is exposed due to the slope of the TT. I know many dislike a sloping TT. I get that. This is not that bike, nor that discussion. This expose is all about the bike's feel and handling.

The aesthetics of the bike really speak to me. I dislike S's big and bold branding on things. This is the opposite. Aside from the "S" on the headtube, there's not much. The paint is sweet. It looks amazing. I rarely, if ever, see others. I have a few friends I ride with. We all have sweet bikes so nobody thinks I'm trying (or care) to impress. That's not me. I could care less what someone at the coffee shop/beer stop thinks of my bike. Rather, I'd prefer they didn't notice as I'm not looking to chit chat with strangers. I'm there to jaw with my buddies.

I wanted to have one last go at a go fast, modern carbon bike with all the most up to date bits (AXS, integrated handle bar/stem (I cringe a bit a "cockpit")). Aside from the power meter, as I don't care, I like how the bike is configured. It's fun. It's fast. It feels amazing. Any 58ers that are nearby, the invite to give it a whirl is open.

I think Specialized did a good thing with this bike. I think we'll see it ripple through the industry with other makers working to sort out similar offerings.

What's not to like?

Old 03-08-2021, 07:19 PM

Damn I'm 6'2 and my Saddle Height from center off BB is 751cm!
Lavi is 98% leg and 2% torso hahaha

That's one sweet build! I've yet to jump on the Disc Brake train, but when I eventually do the Aethos and Factor Disc frames are on my list.

I really wanted a Pinarello but being limited to 25mm tires is a bummer. I have that issue right now with my Firefly and first gen Enve fork. I can only squeeze a 25mm up front without rubbing.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:24 PM

Real nice bike Lavi, real nice.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:31 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
How much more seatpost is in the frame? That looks like a big load on the frame, if it can take that, it's pretty rugged.
There's still 10 cm in the frame. The min insertion mark is still 4-5 cm in the frame. As far as I know, all's well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
Damn I'm 6'2 and my Saddle Height from center off BB is 751cm!
Lavi is 98% leg and 2% torso hahaha

That's one sweet build! I've yet to jump on the Disc Brake train, but when I eventually do the Aethos and Factor Disc frames are on my list.

I really wanted a Pinarello but being limited to 25mm tires is a bummer. I have that issue right now with my Firefly and first gen Enve fork. I can only squeeze a 25mm up front without rubbing.
Lol. I'm am leggy in my height...with a normal to shortish torso. My saddle height is 830ish from center of bb to top of saddle.

The tire clearance issue is the main reason that I cleared the last herd out. Some of my fav bikes could only clear a 25 with issues either being at the chain stays, under the fork, or both (looking at you Love #3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Real nice bike Lavi, real nice.
Thank you.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:32 PM

Great write-up and bike lavi. I really appreciate the detail as it helps put the bike in context.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2021, 09:22 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Looking forward to adding some informed perspectives soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk