Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2013, 01:21 PM

Campy / shimano campatible freehub body help

I picked up a set of eurus wheels with what appears to be a shimano compatible freehub body. I have used the shimano bodies in the past and they have not looked like the attached link and photo.
First picture, shimano with campy box...second picture, freehub in question body mounted on eurus wheel As you can see the spline is much different, but The shimano cass. slides on fine buy has a bit on play that in not noticed once the lock ring is tightened down....
please advise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PACELINE 001.jpg (55.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg PACELINE 002.jpg (69.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 05-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxboy View Post
I picked up a set of eurus wheels with what appears to be a shimano compatible freehub body. I have used the shimano bodies in the past and they have not looked like the attached link and photo.
First picture, shimano with campy box...second picture, freehub in question body mounted on eurus wheel As you can see the spline is much different, but The shimano cass. slides on fine buy has a bit on play that in not noticed once the lock ring is tightened down....
please advise
Is the one in the second pic new? It looks like a portion was machined away.

In any case..HG freehub body and it still needs the 1mm spacer for shimano 10s cogsets, supplied with the cogset.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 05-18-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Small ring

I will defer to spud, but sometimes I have found a spacer/shim is required behind the cassette to snug it up. Some cassettes come with them.

I have next to no experience using Shimano, so I could very well be talking out my rear. Also, it does look like someone machined that freehub.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
I will defer to spud, but sometimes I have found a spacer/shim is required behind the cassette to snug it up. Some cassettes come with them.

I have next to no experience using Shimano, so I could very well be talking out my rear. Also, it does look like someone machined that freehub.
Hi..I've had countless campy / shimano freehubs and all of them look like the f.h. in picture # 1.
The second picture is stock, it has not been modified, and I did use a spacer when mounting the cass.
I'm just trying to figure out its origin...please help
Old 05-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Cat-6 Pro

Shimano requires the use of a .5mm spacer behind the cassette. As in put the spacer on, then the cassette.
As for the freehub body, seems to be just a Campy mfg'ed Shimano freehub.

Different mfg's will do odd things sometimes with the splines in freehubs/cassettes- SRAM Powerdome for example