Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 01-06-2020, 08:01 PM

Baltimore

Hello All!

I'm currently looking for routes and riding advice for the greater Baltimore area. My sister just had her 2nd little girl and it seems my family will likely be gathering primarily on the east coast instead of my home state of Colorado for the foreseeable future. I just spent my first Christmas there without a bike and my initial assessment was that it's not that bike friendly. I do not like being bike-less for more than a day or two. I'd really like to spend more time with my sister and her new family so finding a way to ride while I'm there is on my list of things to do.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-07-2020, 07:30 PM

Some good routes in North Baltimore county heading north and west of the city. Baltimore Bike Club website wouldn't be a bad place to start, or feel free to PM me for more info.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:41 AM

Baltimore

Also check out Joe's Bike Shop in Mt. Washington (northern edge of Baltimore City) for local ride suggestions as well as Veloccino in Butler (Baltimore County). There is a nascent trail system within the City, as well as the NCR rail-trail that runs from the southern edge of Baltimore County all the way to the PA state line. There are lots of good road routes north of town. Great riding with varied topography.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:19 PM

My mother used to live in Baltimore for a few years, my initial impression was also like yours that it wasn't bike friendly, but after a few phone calls I ended up going on a group ride with a few guys from Joe's Bike shop (mentioned above) and I couldn't believe how good the riding was if you just know where to look.
It helped that my mom lived only about 10 minutes from there.

I also ended up doing a group MTB ride out at Patapsco state park and the trails were super fun, so there is that as well.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post
Also check out Joe's Bike Shop in Mt. Washington (northern edge of Baltimore City) for local ride suggestions as well as Veloccino in Butler (Baltimore County). There is a nascent trail system within the City, as well as the NCR rail-trail that runs from the southern edge of Baltimore County all the way to the PA state line. There are lots of good road routes north of town. Great riding with varied topography.
Yes - I'd center my start areas around Veloccino (Butler Rd @ Falls Rd), Meadowood Park (Falls Rd @ Greenspring), or Oregon Ridge State Park. Joe's Bike Shop is a good reference, but you'll have to navigate north through some congestion to get out to the good riding. A lot of folks also drive out a little further west to Westminster or Taneytown to ride up around Gettysburg, and south toward Thurmont, or up into the Catoctins. Plenty of nice options....

Edit:
The NCR trail actually runs all the way to York, PA, FWIW. Pick it up on Ashland/Paper Mill Rd, ~1.5 mi E of York Rd.

Last edited by OtayBW; 01-30-2020 at 08:47 AM.