Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2020, 11:13 AM

Yikes. You can find pictures of her injury through a twitter search. I don't recommend it.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
Yikes. You can find pictures of her injury through a twitter search. I don't recommend it.
That's the worst pro cycling injury I've ever seen. Hopefully it's just a 'degloving' of skin from muscle and bone.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:14 PM
50 bpm

Trying not to think of Taylor Phinney and what a leg injury can do to effectively end a world-beating career.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:16 PM

really bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Trying not to think of Taylor Phinney and what a leg injury can do to effectively end a world-beating career.
Yeah this injury is pretty bad hopefully not as bad as Taylor's.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:30 PM
PegoNagos

Ya, hopefully more of a WvA injury than a Mini Phinney injury
Old 09-24-2020, 01:45 PM
what's a little rust?

Sure looked like some form of mechanical failure. Not sure how she could have ridden that out any better than she did.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:59 PM
Vendor

I know everything is sooooo easy from the couch, but I have to get this off my chest.

How do they decide on the placement of the padded barriers in cycling? Maybe it makes sense but I don't get it. Have you EVER seen a cyclist go straight, dead straight into a corner so that they hit the first 10 meters of barriers?

I haven't. I can only imagine that almost every crash is going to be slightly pre apex to 90+% exiting the corner... and the barriers barely cover the exit.... like 2 meters of the exit of a turn. Why not take all those dozens of first entry barrier pads and place them at the exit where they will be useful?

Does what I'm saying make sense? Or is it like this in all races for a reason I don't understand?
Old 09-24-2020, 03:10 PM

Oh man.. that looks very painful. It does look like a mechanical with the front wheel.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
I know everything is sooooo easy from the couch, but I have to get this off my chest.

How do they decide on the placement of the padded barriers in cycling? Maybe it makes sense but I don't get it. Have you EVER seen a cyclist go straight, dead straight into a corner so that they hit the first 10 meters of barriers?

I haven't. I can only imagine that almost every crash is going to be slightly pre apex to 90+% exiting the corner... and the barriers barely cover the exit.... like 2 meters of the exit of a turn. Why not take all those dozens of first entry barrier pads and place them at the exit where they will be useful?

Does what I'm saying make sense? Or is it like this in all races for a reason I don't understand?
If I were to guess, some volunteer who has no experience riding bikes at race speed is told to "put up barriers on the corner" and they drive out to the corner and put barriers around the point where the road bends the most, without understanding the path that riders will take through it.

It really was a tragic injury that could have been greatly reduced if only the barriers had been positioned better.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:54 PM

Never cared for Zipp wheels and even less so now.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:14 PM

Yep, what you are saying is on Point and totally makes sense.
I sure hope that she can recover more like WvA and less like Phinney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post

Old 09-24-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Never cared for Zipp wheels and even less so now.
I'd reserve judgement on the wheel for a bit-yes, that was a hell of a wobble but the wheel didn't look collapsed when I froze the video of the bike going over the guardrail. Could have been a full or partial steerer failure, of something in the stem/bars, or even a severe speed wobble.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:50 PM

I'm going with speed wobble for now.

Is it normal for TT'ers to take high speed corners on the aero bars instead of the handlebars? Looked like she was on the Aeros the whole time. Could that have caused speed wobble?

Totally agree on padding placement. Didn't go nearly far enough through the corner. IMO padding should start just prior to the corner (looks like it did) and end past the exit; how far past depends on the curve. Better safe than sorry. Another case of rider safety compromised.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
I'd reserve judgement on the wheel for a bit-yes, that was a hell of a wobble but the wheel didn't look collapsed when I froze the video of the bike going over the guardrail. Could have been a full or partial steerer failure, of something in the stem/bars, or even a severe speed wobble.
Yeah, I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the wheel - it appeared intact and didn't appear to be flexing. Also, the tire didn't appear to be sliding on the road, the front of the bike was going left and right because the front wheel was steering left and right. Very odd.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
I found one elsewhere. As previously mentioned, it looks like her left knee was attacked by a shark.