Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2019, 04:56 PM

White Flint, Twinbrook and Rockville areas would be where is at in terms of looking for rentals and proximity to shops, walking distance to the red line. There likely be a premium associated with that.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:30 PM
Two wheels good

And head up to just north of Baltimore sometime. It's only an hour (or less) by car and there are great roads through "horse country".
Old 07-06-2019, 09:10 AM

A short update. I have been in the area for about 3 months now and my time here has been coupled with a shoulder problem (non-cycling related) that has kept me off the bike. Only in the last couple weeks have things started to feel close to normal so I have done a couple short rides this week.

I now have an apartment in Bethesda, so not a bad location to ride from. My first ride, 12 Miles, was just to check out the Capital Crescent from Bethesda to around by the boat house: a bit busy on 4th of July morning but OK. Today did a ride down the CC trail again, hoping to get on MacArthur Blvd going north, but somehow missed the turn. Came back and wound up riding several miles down Bradley Blvd, which has a decent shoulder and enjoyed this more than the CC trail. Thinking about a ride west on Bradley and River Rd. to Potomac, then maybe back by Falls Rd. to MacArthur. Any tips from the locals? Taking it easy now to see how the shoulder handles the milage (so far, 20 miles seems OK).
Old 07-06-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
A short update. I have been in the area for about 3 months now and my time here has been coupled with a shoulder problem (non-cycling related) that has kept me off the bike. Only in the last couple weeks have things started to feel close to normal so I have done a couple short rides this week.

I now have an apartment in Bethesda, so not a bad location to ride from. My first ride, 12 Miles, was just to check out the Capital Crescent from Bethesda to around by the boat house: a bit busy on 4th of July morning but OK. Today did a ride down the CC trail again, hoping to get on MacArthur Blvd going north, but somehow missed the turn. Came back and wound up riding several miles down Bradley Blvd, which has a decent shoulder and enjoyed this more than the CC trail. Thinking about a ride west on Bradley and River Rd. to Potomac, then maybe back by Falls Rd. to MacArthur. Any tips from the locals? Taking it easy now to see how the shoulder handles the milage (so far, 20 miles seems OK).
that should be fine
Old 07-06-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
And head up to just north of Baltimore sometime. It's only an hour (or less) by car and there are great roads through "horse country".
Second the recommendation for riding north of Baltimore - as you get out past the Beltway (695) the riding just gets better and better in "horse country". Some of the more challenging up-and-down riding I've ever done. That 28t cog comes in handy.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:08 PM

There a ride the guys from veloviet do, is up and down like a maniac, the darn profile looks like a guy having cardiac arrest. When i saw it the 1st time thought was wrong, good that day I took the compact and the 29T cog

Done that ride once... not willing to do it again ever! specially like with 10 miles in my legs during the whole summer.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Thinking about a ride west on Bradley and River Rd. to Potomac, then maybe back by Falls Rd. to MacArthur. Any tips from the locals? Taking it easy now to see how the shoulder handles the milage (so far, 20 miles seems OK).
Take Bradley all the way to Persimmon. Take Persimmon to Potomac Village. Or go straight onto Oaklyn. Less traffic than River Rd. You can add a hill if you ride down Falls (heading south) and turn right at the ss. This will take you down to the park, the park ranger will let you through then go around the circle to head back out and up the gradual hill. Then continue straight onto MacArthur. When you feel better you can also go up Mountain Gate and Brickyard (which does go to Falls) for some hill work.

Lots of neighborhood streets you can incorporate in that area.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post
Second the recommendation for riding north of Baltimore - as you get out past the Beltway (695) the riding just gets better and better in "horse country". Some of the more challenging up-and-down riding I've ever done. That 28t cog comes in handy.
I lives there. Gives me a holler if you wants some recommendations!
Old 07-06-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post

I’ll third the recommendation for North Baltimore county. Moved here about 6 months ago and really digging the riding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2019, 03:59 PM

Maryland’s Eastern Shore …

No longer in NY’s Westchester County, I’m now a flatlander, living in Easton MD and managing a new cycling club called ‘Chesapeake Cycling Club’. Having hung up my bike for almost 5 years up there, there were no excuses once we moved here. Very few hills, by any definition, the obstacle here can be the wind.
Anyone interested in coming out here, join us for a ride.
||O,
|| \_/\_
--"----------"'---''-----'---''-------'---

Last edited by Kevan; 07-06-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Take Bradley all the way to Persimmon. Take Persimmon to Potomac Village. Or go straight onto Oaklyn. Less traffic than River Rd. You can add a hill if you ride down Falls (heading south) and turn right at the ss. This will take you down to the park, the park ranger will let you through then go around the circle to head back out and up the gradual hill. Then continue straight onto MacArthur. When you feel better you can also go up Mountain Gate and Brickyard (which does go to Falls) for some hill work.

Lots of neighborhood streets you can incorporate in that area.
This is just the kind of advice I need right now. I noticed Persimmon is marked on some maps as a bike route and many ridewithgps routes include Oaklyn. Hard to tell which local roads are the ones to concentrate on. Will want to work some hills into things as I get more miles in, with the goal of getting out to Sugarloaf eventually. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:29 PM

Yeah I would also say anything out and around Poolesville. Great loops around sugarloaf and to whites ferry.

Also some of the best gravel roads in the country are out by middleburg and Bluemont VA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2019, 10:29 PM

i've been away from the area for 15 years

Quote:
This is just the kind of advice I need right now. I noticed Persimmon is marked on some maps as a bike route and many ridewithgps routes include Oaklyn. Hard to tell which local roads are the ones to concentrate on. Will want to work some hills into things as I get more miles in, with the goal of getting out to Sugarloaf eventually. Thanks.
but lived in Bethesda not far from Glen Echo area near MacArthur Blvd. My Favorite ride was to head up MacArthur and eventually it curves right as Falls Rd, then left on River Rd all the way out until you go right on Seneca, then all the way on that until left on Darnestown , then left on White's Ferry. After that you have to go right to loop back but I forget the roads now. I'd end up coming around to Darnestown rd (also route 28 at some point) and eventually hit Seven Locks Rd south that goes back down to MacArthur.

Anyway, some beautiful riding and you can do even bigger loops where you go capitol cresent trail to C&O canal, through G-town and then north out of DC via rock creek park that you can take out into Rockville, then west on route 28/Darnestown and back into Bethesda via the reverse of my earlier description above.

jim
Old 07-07-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Will want to work some hills into things as I get more miles in, with the goal of getting out to Sugarloaf eventually. Thanks.
Sugarloaf and the surrounding area is nice. Grade up is not hard. Take time to take in the views at both overlooks. The downhill portion gets a bit bumpy and you have to remember that the lower section has 2 way traffic.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Baltimore is an easy MARC train ride to DC. LOTS of commuters live in the area and the cycling is nice - Avalon has some of the best mountain biking on the East Coast. There is a 50 mile 'hill' circuit around Ellicott City, and horse country to the west.