Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 12:12 PM
#BLM

This thread is great! Gives me a chance to add some names to the “ignore(ant)” list
Old 10-15-2018, 12:13 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
The article the OP linked to is a disgrace.

For a better and more nuanced view on the situation at hand read this article which compares the differing views of two transgender female cyclists, one of whom was the UCI winner:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ess/995434001/

My $.02, which counts for even less than that, is if the rules were followed as set by the UCI congrats on her victory. And for those who are confused about the UCI's transgender rules, read below:

https://www.usacycling.org/about-us/...thletes-policy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicrump View Post
case closed. anything else is opinion.
Thank you. We may have our opinions but USA Cycling has made their position clear

Elite Competition

At elite competition levels, members may have the opportunity to represent the United States and participate in international competition. They may therefore be subject to the policies and regulations of the International Cycling Union (UCI) and International Olympic Committee (IOC). USA Cycling therefore follows the IOC guidelines on transgender athletes at these elite competition levels. For purposes of this policy, international competition means competition sanctioned by the UCI or competition taking place outside the United States in which USA Cycling’s competition rules do not apply.

The IOC revised its guidelines on transgender athlete participation in 2015, to focus on hormone levels and medical monitoring. The main points of the guidelines are:

Those who transition from female to male are eligible to compete in the male category without restriction. It is the responsibility of athletes to be aware of current WADA/USADA policies and file for appropriate therapeutic use exemptions.

Those who transition from male to female are eligible to compete in the female category under the following conditions:

The athlete has declared that her gender identity is female. The declaration cannot be changed, for sporting purposes, for a minimum of four years.

The athlete must demonstrate that her total testosterone level in serum has been below 10 nmol/L for at least 12 months prior to her first competition (with the requirement for any longer period to be based on a confidential case-by-case evaluation, considering whether or not 12 months is a sufficient length of time to minimize any advantage in women’s competition).

The athlete's total testosterone level in serum must remain below 10 nmol/L throughout the period of desired eligibility to compete in the female category.

Compliance with these conditions may be monitored by random or for-cause testing. In the event of non-compliance, the athlete’s eligibility for female competition will be suspended for 12 months.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:22 PM

The 10 nmol/L threshold that has been set seems high when 20 nmol/L is normal for males and 1 nmol/L is normal for females.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:24 PM
Kind of OK

Congratulations to the athlete.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:29 PM

Cautious

I will cautiously dip my toe in the water here...

I try to put myself in the shoes of the other women on the podium. Do you think they are honestly believing that they competed on a level playing field?

While I have absolutely no gripes with folks that have chosen to change their gender orientation, I am first and foremost concerned that we don't allow unfair competition just because it is politically correct to do so.

I doubt that any level of scientific eveidence regarding current Hormonal levels will ever convince the second and third place riders that they were beaten fair and square.

Last edited by StephenCL; 10-15-2018 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Wrong noun!
Old 10-15-2018, 12:30 PM

male is male female is femaie. it is that simple the way i see it.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
+1. Only took six posts for the Paceline to turn into a drunk uncle's facebook account. Those attitudes need to stay away from this community.
As an Uncle, I'm offended.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Offended.jpg (59.9 KB, 255 views)
Old 10-15-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCL View Post
While I have absolutely no gripes with folks that have chosen to change their sexual orientation, I am first and foremost concerned that we don't allow unfair competition just because it is politically correct to do so.
Gender* - be careful here -- it may seem like semantics, but gay vs. straight is not the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
male is male female is femaie. it is that simple the way i see it.
That's good for you (that it can be so simple). Clearly you've not known people who fight with their identity for years and undergo re-assignment, or you wouldn't be so callow.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:40 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
I doubt that any level of scientific eveidence regarding current Hormonal levels will everconvince the second and third place riders that they were beaten fair and square.
neither will conjecture, and i think without asking them, we shouldn't try to guess as to how they feel.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:42 PM

This is a pretty interesting time to be alive. As a public school teacher and athletic coach, this topic is one I find myself dealing with daily. I have faith that cooler heads will prevail...perhaps those that believe in science and accept its findings.

I think there are a lot of people out there talking about this topic and considering multiple perspectives on the subject that don't just involve sport. I'm thinking of podcasters/professors/scientists/comedians from Canada and America. And there are a lot of people out there using this topic to sew seeds of discontent and get a few extra clicks.

I think the bigger questions that get overlooked in the social-outrage media machine are:

How can we become more egalitarian while maintaining some semblance of our unique individuality if we continue to expand/blur the definition of biological markers like gender? Never mind the implications of CRISPR coupled with an innate belief that we should be altering our DNA because we can.

How can we ensure that those involved in competition are not subject to unfair standards? No one sees a problem with a female identifying as a male and getting beat in every 100m sprint, but a male who identifies as a female and destroys every female they compete against occasionally raises an eyebrow (thinking MMA).

How can we move forward as a united group when so many people are willing to ignore and silence those from a group they don't identify with? Without a path to unity there can be none...

If we keep splitting people into groups of like us and not like us, we're only avoiding the issue and not figuring out a way to connect people. Take for instance the very act of people deciding to ignore people who respond to this thread with their opinion. How do we ever expect our society to be accepting of others if we won't accept that others don't agree with us first?

I don't think the paceline is going to solve this issue anytime soon, heck we can't decide to own just one bike, but I do think it's good to know there are people thinking about topics like this and it is always good to be reminded that there are people who don't think the way we do!

Last edited by dustyrider; 10-15-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:45 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
I will cautiously dip my toe in the water here...

I try to put myself in the shoes of the other women on the podium. Do you think they are honestly believing that they competed on a level playing field?

While I have absolutely no gripes with folks that have chosen to change their sexual orientation, I am first and foremost concerned that we don't allow unfair competition just because it is politically correct to do so.

I doubt that any level of scientific eveidence regarding current Hormonal levels will everconvince the second and third place riders that they were beaten fair and square.
I honestly do think the other podium females were fine with it.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:46 PM
Administrator

dustyrider -- Excellent post, thank you.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:40 PM

Subscribing and learning. Never too old for that.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:43 PM

[QUOTE=Nooch;2440827]Gender* - be careful here -- it may seem like semantics, but gay vs. straight is not the same thing.

Great catch bud!!! Fixed!!
Old 10-15-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I doubt that any level of scientific eveidence regarding current Hormonal levels will ever convince the second and third place riders that they were beaten fair and square.
My partner got knocked off the podium/out of first place multiple times and lost out on a scholarship to her preferred school; to a athlete who had transitioned from male to female between their junior and senior year of high school.

This was before we met, almost a decade ago, but it's still an extremely triggering topic for her. She's still mad about it.
Closed Thread