Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2019, 03:39 PM

Moots seatpost with Enve bits

I finally have most of the parts for my RSL build, with the frame and SR group purchased on PL. I planned to buy a Moots Ti cinch post, because of its simplicity and good looks. However, I have a new S-Works Chicane saddle, purchased for my previous bike, that was sold to fund this build. Has anyone tried the carbon rail compatible Moots post ? Enve told me it was their previous gen design. My funds are drying up, so I want to make a cost effective choice. I guess to play it safe I should go with the cinch post and buy a Ti rail saddle. My bar/stem are 3T, which doesn't have a 30.9 seatpost....
Old 11-08-2019, 03:56 PM

I don’t have experience with the moots enve combo but did use the old enve post with this design and had zero problems. I have heard complaints about this design slipping but it wasn’t my experience. Personally, I would have no concerns but ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 04:32 PM

I do not have any experience with the Moots/Enve carbon-OK post either (but have had 2 regular Moots Cinch posts for years and love them).

1) Since Moots specified the ENVE hardware, I would trust the combination 100%. Moots will certainly back it up.

2) However, you wrote that "Enve told me it was their previous gen design." Say something happens to your ENVE hardware next year; can you still get a replacement piece from ENVE or Moots? That is definitely worth checking out on a $360 post.

3) Since you have the Specialized saddle, I assume you like it. So, why not keep it and use a carbon-rails-OK seatpost (Moots or other), rather than "go with the cinch post and buy a Ti rail saddle."?

4) Some people hate the idea but you could also look for a carbon-rails-OK 27.2mm seatpost (ie the 3T if you want) and shim it to 30.9mm.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:09 PM

The previous style Enve design works just fine and is much smaller. The new Enve clamping design is huge.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the info and suggestions...
Dino... I have used Specialized Toupe gel saddles for about ten years. I came across this carbon railed NOS S-Works Chicane saddle while visiting family in PA. Thought I would give it a try on my S-Works Roubaix. But, before I tried it, I sold the Roubaix to help fund my quest for a Moots. So... I now have an untried saddle for possibly an older style enve bits post. Swapping saddles is one thing, but I wouldn't want to change post if it had slipping issues. Think i will play it safe and get another Toupe Expert gel for a Moots cinch post and sell the Chicane. Also... I'm not a fan of shims either... thanks all for your input...
Old 11-08-2019, 08:32 PM

get a good torque wrench, especially for gen 1 design. I've had problems slipping
Old 11-08-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonaBP View Post
Thanks for the info and suggestions...
Dino... I have used Specialized Toupe gel saddles for about ten years. I came across this carbon railed NOS S-Works Chicane saddle while visiting family in PA. Thought I would give it a try on my S-Works Roubaix. But, before I tried it, I sold the Roubaix to help fund my quest for a Moots. So... I now have an untried saddle for possibly an older style enve bits post. Swapping saddles is one thing, but I wouldn't want to change post if it had slipping issues. Think i will play it safe and get another Toupe Expert gel for a Moots cinch post and sell the Chicane. Also... I'm not a fan of shims either... thanks all for your input...
OK, yes.
Given those details your logic is spot-on.
The Moots Cinch seatpost is secure, beautiful, and will last forever.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:53 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
get a good torque wrench, especially for gen 1 design. I've had problems slipping
While some folks report no slipping with Gen 1 there are plenty of folks (including everyone I know who has one) that report slipping. For that much $$$$ it should be a non-issue so either get the Gen 2 or go back to a metal rail saddle.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:58 AM

I have the gen 1 on my Lynskey post. Not a fan of the design but it worked for me. As long as I used a torque wrench I had no slippage. Tightened it one time without and it slipped. I checked the torque later and it was well under spec.

I went back to the Ritchey Classic. Much simpler, no need to pull out the wrench. And IMO, better looking.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:54 AM

I had problems with slipping as well...until I figured out that I had a mismatch between the rail dimensions and the clamp upper craddle. Since swapping it out for the right one, it hasn't budged. ENVE still sells Gen 1 parts kits, both full kits and replacement upper cradles.