Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2022, 06:40 AM

So, that's what winter looks like. I forgot.

Warm and dry here outside Boston. For a change, it's actually below freezing this morning - just below. I don't even have a ski day (alpine), yet.

Enjoy your snow!
Old 01-03-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I've heard of some trails in the Deep Creek Lake area, but know nothing about them.

Yeah some resort in WV like Cannan Valley have trails for them. But it would be nice if there are trails close to me that is under a hour away. I like the winter atmosphere in the woods and enjoy the catwalks in the ski slopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2022, 07:53 PM

Here comes Diggins

Just a friendly reminder /flashback to a fun moment in 2018 ...

https://www.nbcolympics.com/videos/p...-historic-feat
Old 02-05-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
I'm going to try this since it may be a good alternate activity for the winter, but I'm mostly in the dark about skis, poles, and boots, so I am in the hands of my local shop. They seem pretty good. One salesperson recommended some Rosignol Evo skis while another an Atomic equivalent. I live near some ski trails that seem more for advanced to intermediate folks, but I have access to a lake with a few inches of snow on it and it is occasionally groomed for the local high school ski team.

Having just relocated from a climate where I could road bike year round, I'm adjusting to how to stay in shape and XCountry skiing seems like an option. I get out on local trails and walk or snowshoe and compliment that with some time on the trainer to maintain some fitness.

I have been watching You Tube videos about skiing while on the trainer, so sometime soon I plan to get some skis, go out on the lake and give it a try and see where it goes. It is going to be a long winter and I need to do something ...

I never made it out last year, couldn't find skis locally that fit, but early fall this year the local shop received their order and I bought some classic Atomic skis. Went out a couple of times on mostly flat terrain, fell a few times, but generally did ok. Some cycling friends here who have skied all their lives asked me to go with them so they could give me some pointers. We went out to a more intermediate rolling hill course and I learned my limitations.... I fell 6 times, each while snow plowing. My left leg wouldn't dig in as hard as my right and I kept veering off to the left into the woods or else I would fall. Sprained my left ankle pretty good and I have been laid up a week. I got back on the trainer yesterday and I hope in another week or so I can go back out to the less hilly course and do some practice snow plowing. I can stay up jus fine on a slope with a good straight run out but when there is a slope with a curve I'm challenged. And, my 77 year old bones don't bounce like they used to. Still, when I get the hang of it it will be a good supplement to the trainer for the rest of the winter...
Old 02-05-2022, 03:05 PM

Sublime conditions here today.
Thursday night we had freezing rain followed by sleet and then we went over to powder.
The base has frozen solid and the powder skis superbly on top of it.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
Just a friendly reminder /flashback to a fun moment in 2018 ...

https://www.nbcolympics.com/videos/p...-historic-feat
That woman is such class, lets hope for repeat but those Norwegians and Swedes are kind of tough