Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2024, 01:42 PM

Chain Waxing, Cassette Etc

Hey y'all

I'm going to go waxed chain on my triathlon bike (my old Look 595!)

Gonna start with a new chain with my Shimano Ultegra/Dura-ace Di2 10 speed setup from way back.

I'm going with the Silca strip chip and wax on a new ultegra chain and cassette...

Thanks for any pointers!

Last edited by hairylegs; 09-14-2024 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-14-2024, 02:05 PM

Sounds like you're pretty set up, just keep up with maintenance/reup on wax as needed. One thing I'd maybe suggest is deep cleaning the chainrings to get any old lube/muc off so you don't containment the newly waxed stuff.
Old 09-14-2024, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylegs View Post
[..]
I'm going with the Silca strip chip and wax on a new ultegra chain and cassette...
Hopefully you're not planning in waxing the cassette
Old 09-14-2024, 02:46 PM

I like this starter guide - https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/w...r-guide-v4.pdf
Old 09-14-2024, 02:49 PM

Clean your cassette the "normal way" where it is grease free. As someone else suggested, clean your chainrings but also clean the pulley wheels on your deraileur. Anything that touches the chain should be cleaned.
Old 09-15-2024, 09:51 AM

Just did this. I echo everybody who said to make sure and do a good deep clean on all parts that aren't brand new. I pulled my lightly used cassette and made sure to do a good degrease and tooth brush job on each cog.

Also I'd say if you can get a dedicated wax heating device it's much preferable to using the Silca wax bag in a pot of water. If you do go that way careful not to let the bag tip over. The body of the bag in the water is fine but the top of the bag will melt on the rim of your pot if you're not careful.

Next time I'll be getting one of those 20ish dollar temp controlled wax heaters from Amazon.
Old 09-16-2024, 10:48 AM

Waxing Is it Worth It?

I have a new bike coming this week and am considering waxing but the work necesary to keep it up, seems daunting. I would appreciate hearing others about their experience with this option.

TIA
Old 09-16-2024, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmsj22 View Post
I have a new bike coming this week and am considering waxing but the work necesary to keep it up, seems daunting. I would appreciate hearing others about their experience with this option.

TIA
it is simple buy a cheap crock pot $10-15. the only time you need to strip your chain is when it is brand new..I used the silca brand stripper was simple and clean...after that every 600 or so miles tag a dry rag wipe the chain and them dip it in the hot wax swirl it around for a minute or so and them pull it out let it hang for a few minutes and then install it. I was worried about the quick links but now after 6000+ miles i am not worried about them. I get many uses out of one. I found much easier installing if the wax is still a little soft ie chain still warm. I will hit the chain with wet wax once in between hot waxing. takes 20 minutes once the wax is melted. so I just turn the crock pot on a couple hours before I intend to wax the chain. simple and super clean.
Old 09-16-2024, 11:06 AM

I seem to have settled on starting with a melt wax, and then topping off with a drip wax.

I have the Silca wax station (got it on sale, still a little pricey, but idiot-proof), and an ultrasonic cleaner (also a bit of up-front money, but great for lots of things besides cleaning chains).

I have been really happy. I have a lot of bikes, and some of them still have chains with oil-based lubes because I haven't replaced the chain since I started waxing. Every time I work on one of those bikes, I cringe. I can't believe how filthy everything is, or that I accepted that as the status quo for so long.
Old 09-16-2024, 11:06 AM

You can't avoid having to degrease the cassette and chainrings (or start with new ones), but you can now buy pre-waxed chains of multiple brands from multiple sources. These can be refreshed with drip-on wax a few times before they need to be cleaned and re-waxed. This might be an option for those who want to give waxed chains a try before investing in all the equipment to clean and wax a chain.