Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 04:36 PM

Shoe Forefoot Width?

For 20+ years I've worn 45 Sidi's. The past three years I've developed a Morton's neuroma in my right foot. One of the contributing factors can be snug shoes. I have narrow to regular width feet; narrow heel, and arch. Could anyone recommend a road shoe that can accommodate a narrow heal yet has a bit broader forefoot width? Or are custom shoes the answer.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2019, 06:00 PM

I would go new insoles way... like solestar carbon.

If you have a normal foot pretty much any italian brand of shoe will so, but if u want to try a shoe that is wider in normal I would try lake. For the record I do not like lake insoles, I use solestar carbon insoles.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:03 PM

Do you use a metatarsal pad?
My Morton’s neuroma from July is getting better.
I am using a meta pad in my shoes. And I’ve been off the bike.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Do you use a metatarsal pad?

My Morton’s neuroma from July is getting better.

I am using a meta pad in my shoes. And I’ve been off the bike.
I have not. Being the stubborn person that I am, I gimped around and didn't see a doctor until 2 weeks ago. He suggested the steroid shot. So far it's been an improvement until I rode today. Once I took my foot out of the cleat I could easily feel the neuroma, hence thinking my cleats are too narrow.

Where did you buy it, a drug store?

The damn things run in the family; grandfather, father and sister all have them. My dad tried surgery at it didn't help him.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
I would go new insoles way... like solestar carbon.

If you have a normal foot pretty much any italian brand of shoe will so, but if u want to try a shoe that is wider in normal I would try lake. For the record I do not like lake insoles, I use solestar carbon insoles.
Thank you for the recommendation. I'll give them a try. Interestingly Solestar recommends the Lake CX 237 for people needing a wider forefoot.

Last edited by Hellgate; 11-17-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:41 PM

Sorry to hear that you are having foot pain on the bike. That's a bummer.

I have a wide forefoot and have been wearing Sidi in their Mega widths for years. They work for me for the most part.

I've heard good things about Lakes, for wide feet. The issue is that I also have a narrow heel and the Sidi's that I ride offer a heel retention thingie that helps with slippage. I don't think Lake offers that, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Bont also makes some wide shoes from what I understand. I measured my foot using Bont's sizing system and their website said that I should go with their custom program. Stock may be wide enough for you but maybe not.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:57 PM

Bont.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:20 PM

I had some from the store where I got my Birkenstock footbed and insoles. They're just a teardrop shaped piece of foam. The insole is molded to accept the pad.
They are very soft so for my neuroma foot, I made a stiffer one with Sugru. Took a couple of packets to match the shape/ volume.

When I first wore the Sugru meta-pad, I thought it would be really painful since it was much firmer than the foam one but it turned out just fine. I think I needed the harder material to spread the load in the bad foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
I have not. Being the stubborn person that I am, I gimped around and didn't see a doctor until 2 weeks ago. He suggested the steroid shot. So far it's been an improvement until I rode today. Once I took my foot out of the cleat I could easily feel the neuroma, hence thinking my cleats are too narrow.

Where did you buy it, a drug store?

The damn things run in the family; grandfather, father and sister all have them. My dad tried surgery at it didn't help him.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:42 AM

For me, Sidi Mega has meant an increase in upper volume, but less dramatic increase in toe box width, which is what I’m really looking for. Other than certain Lakes, I’ve been told that Shimano tends towards a wider forefoot.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:43 AM

Lake shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Thank you for the recommendation. I'll give them a try. Interestingly Solestar recommends the Lake CX 237 for people needing a wider forefoot.
I highly recommend Lake shoes. I have a Morton's and other foot issues that require a wide and tall toe box. I ride the Lake CX241 wide, they have two boa dials and fit very well, great shoes! These shoes can be heat molded in the heel area. Good luck!

quattro
Old 11-18-2019, 07:19 AM

Anyone tried lakes in both their 'wide' and 'extra wide' widths? Much difference, and/or can someone compare to other shoes?
Thx!
Old 11-18-2019, 07:37 AM

I have relatively wide feet (wear a ee on an Alden Barry last for dress shoes) and what I would say is a normal heel.

I went from Bonts to Lake CX402. The 402s have a heat moldable heel cup and are pretty wide in the forefoot so this may be a good, if expensive option.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
I highly recommend Lake shoes. I have a Morton's and other foot issues that require a wide and tall toe box. I ride the Lake CX241 wide, they have two boa dials and fit very well, great shoes! These shoes can be heat molded in the heel area. Good luck!

quattro
Good to know about the moldable heel cup, I wasn't aware of that. One of the reasons I've used Sidi is the adjustable heel.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post

quattro
Another thanks for clarifying. That gives me another option to consider down the road, with the heel fit adjustment.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Bont.
This...specifically the "Asian" fit. Narrow heel, wide forefoot.

Nobody is going to stock this configuration, so expect a couple of weeks lead time.