Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
+1 Billionty... I am not Mr. Muscle but did get some strength coaching long before picking up cycling.

You don't see that many people in the gym with good squat form. It's very noticeable if you've ever had a coach. It makes a HUGE difference.

Also another one.. air squats on a bosu board (upside down) or on some form of wobble board. Good stability training for us cyclists who spend all our time locked into the pedals neglecting our stabilizers. You can step up to doing it with dumbbells once you're good at it. I got turned onto this in PT for a knee injury about 10 years ago. 10 years of cycling had made me horrible at this kind of stuff. My knees are way healthier cycling now than they were before I started training this stuff. From 33-42 I have had vastly fewer knee issues than I did from 23-31.
You can use a broom handle to assist with one leg squats on a bosu board. Martial arts are another excellent way to build leg strength.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Yeah. Avoid the leg extension machine (and most machines) at all costs. It puts way too much strain on your tendons and ligaments when in a fully extended position. I'd opt for more body weight exercises, specifically one-legged stuff, such as toe touches.
Interesting.

I used to start with leg extensions to tighten up my knees before progressing to leg presses. Lots of really easy extensions as part of the warm up just made my knees feel ready for more. But I have never had any knee problems.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:34 AM

The problem with machines is you have to adjust to the machine's range of motion. Plus, you can put undue stress on your low back. The leg extension machine is terrible, don't use it if you like your knees. Goblet and front squats are a great exercise but don't forget about your hamstrings. Do Romanian deadlifts and add some deadlifts and you'll be good to go. Start low and go slow.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:50 AM

Closed kinetic chain exercises.

If you are concerned about knees, then a lot of the gym work and machines are problematic. I'm not saying they can't work, but they can hurt you. Leg extension machines, as pointed out, are terrible, ask any PT.

Also, the closed chain exercises can deal with specific muscle groups and areas more than machines. I fixed most of my long term knee issues by targeting my hips with a series of closed chain exercises from my PT.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
1) don't fully extend

2) don't bend beyond 90 degrees (squats, leg press, etc...)

3) slow is the key; muscle builds faster than connective tissue. It takes time for your tendons and ligaments to catch up. It isn't a race - let the testosterone kids do their thing. They won't have knees, shoulders, or backs when they are 50. I know. I used to be young and dumb and do leg press with over 900 lbs... all the sled would hold. I ended up with a hernia as a result.

Don't be like me.
I've had two so far, most recent this past summer. Hernias are so annoying.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:30 AM

I did all sorts of heavy weight leg exercises on my Weider home gym, for about 20 years. I put the full weight stack on and did leg presses with only 1 leg doing the work.

I got two new knees in 2017.