Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2019, 08:32 AM

Meivici derailleur cable routing between models?

I was looking at the various Meivici models offered over the years from the 2005 original through the AE, SE, SG, etc. I'm just curious about the placement of the derailleur cable bosses on the various models. It appears that on the original 2005 the bosses were attached to the down tube but after that they were mounted on the head tube on all the other variations? Were they always mounted on the downtube for the "standard" Meivici or at some point did they move to the head tube? Or at some point did the "standard" Meivici go away and all that were offered were the SE, SG and AE? Just curious about the history of the various models with respect to this. thanks
Old 11-16-2019, 10:06 AM

Not sure of the exact year, and someone from the inside like Brian Smith would know for sure, but my understanding is that the lower headtube lug was redesigned with the integrated cable stops in 2007 or so, and afaik that newer lug design was used on all all-carbon models (MeiVici, HSG, Fierte Carbon, etc.) going forward. When you see a MeiVici with the cable stops on the downtube, it indicates that it is early generation.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:48 PM

Mine is a 2006 mounted on the down tube. Kind of wish mine came with barrel adjusters but no big deal as shifting has been good. I think the head tube version is a cleaner look. But I do love the bike!!
Old 11-16-2019, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Nice to know the chronology. This forum is such a great source of information.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:06 PM

Mine is also the earlier style with the derailleur bosses on the down tube. There is no barrel adjustment possible while riding, but that has never been an issue. I agree that the head tube version is a cleaner look, but the older approach is more minimalist. The ride makes any of them worthwhile.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:25 PM

I should have noted that MeiVicis and other all-carbon models that were specifically built for Di2 (beginning in 2010 or so) had the lower headtube lug without cable stops, of course...

And I'm with Matthew, my MeiVici is a keeper.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:35 PM

And for nostalgia's sake, here is a photo of Jack Brunk's MeiVici:

RIP JB. That bike was so over-the-top.

And here is a photo I took of one of the first production Di2 MeiVicis (delivered to Signature Cycles):

Old 11-16-2019, 06:08 PM

So nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post

Old 11-16-2019, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Man, i wonder what became of that bike, it sure was a looker!

RIP indeed!

Old 11-16-2019, 06:48 PM

I can't believe I've considered selling mine once or twice. Great ride and incredible craftsmanship. Hey happy, that is stellar. Love the "Indy" scheme yours has. I've got panels on mine that come to a point, like the one in the 2006 catalog. Same color scheme too. And all painted logos. Never selling mine.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Man, i wonder what became of that bike, it sure was a looker!

RIP indeed!
Here's a link to the whole gallery:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=27796

The red-tint carbon with nude carbon logos and gold outline was such a bold move. Only JB could pull that off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I can't believe I've considered selling mine once or twice. Great ride and incredible craftsmanship. Hey happy, that is stellar. Love the "Indy" scheme yours has. I've got panels on mine that come to a point, like the one in the 2006 catalog. Same color scheme too. And all painted logos. Never selling mine.
These were the inspirations for mine. First, a classic CSi with Indy panels:

and second, a MeiVici that I bought secondhand here from Jerome (forgot his screen name) and moved on to another Paceliner when I got mine:

The frame was a bit big for me, but otherwise was the best-riding bike I had ever ridden. I had Serotta duplicate the tube selection, but with the proper geo for me.

For the paint scheme, I created dozens of mock-ups in the paint program. Here are some examples:

In the end, I decided to go with a very "modern" and subdued Indy panel, with a metallic anthracite panel, metallic silver-painted logos and bands, and nude carbon outlines. With all of the masking involved, it was a "four-color" paint job, without screaming four colors. But ridiculously expensive enough that it would prevent others from copying it.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:19 PM

Yours is gorgeous. Absolutely can't go wrong with panels. Mine is nude carbon, true blue panels with white edges that come to a point, and Serotta logos in quick silver. Instead of Serotta on the seat tube mine just has an S like the head tube. Love it.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:18 PM
v a n i l l a

Meivici derailleur cable routing between models?

JB sold it to jimcav. I thought about buying it.
Would have been nice. I think it’s still somewhere in the Paceline universe
Old 11-19-2019, 03:55 PM

very close

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
Not sure of the exact year, and someone from the inside like Brian Smith would know for sure, but my understanding is that the lower headtube lug was redesigned with the integrated cable stops in 2007 or so, and afaik that newer lug design was used on all all-carbon models (MeiVici, HSG, Fierte Carbon, etc.) going forward. When you see a MeiVici with the cable stops on the downtube, it indicates that it is early generation.
I could look up dates, and I'm not certain off the top of my head at what point the materials changed, but it is correct that the Meivici model twice received changes with respect to derailer cable routing. The diameter of the down tube at the head tube end was enlarged, and the bottom head lug produced to accommodate the down tube also at the same time grew some appendages for cable housing threaded adjusters/stops. Thereafter, with the advent of internally-routed electronic cabling, a version of that bottom head lug was produced without the cable housing threaded adjusters/stops. Frames with both styles of cable routing were produced concurrently, but were different models, so in the end it is not strictly a question of model year or production date that determines the cable routing style employed.