Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 07:44 PM

>>Pro tip: when visiting loved ones at health facility, coffee and donuts delivered to the nurses' station go a long way. Here in NJ I do a Dunkin Donuts Box o' Joe and a dozen donuts. I've done this countless times over the years and it's never failed to get some folks excited.

My mother used to bring in bouquets of prize winning roses from their garden. Thats a real winner.

Dentist a batch of fresh chocolate chip cookies
Old 11-17-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Just had a screening colonoscopy yesterday.

Not a "fun" process, but the nursing staff did an amazing job.
What do you mean, not a "fun" process? The post op fart is the best!

I have to echo steveandbarb1's comment; when mom was in a nursing home, I would visit her and bring the staff pizza or KFC.

In my time as a patient in hospitals, I always treated the nurses with great respect and made sure to be the best patient they ever had. They deserve it.

Last edited by Peter P.; 11-17-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:46 PM
Two wheels good

My mother had leukemia and we thought it was lucky that being in Baltimore we were close to one of the "best" hospitals in the world, Johns Hopkins. It wasn't. She passed away due to complications from the drugs they gave her that destroyed her liver. What Hopkins may be best at is the nurses at the Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center. These nurses encompassed all of the best traits of what humans are capable of, caring, patience, humility and then to that added competency. I'm forever grateful for what they did for her.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:11 AM

When I was being treated for cancer at the James (Ohio State) I made it my mission to be a good patient for those who were helping me. I believed (and still do) that just because I felt terrible and was scared out of my wits it didn't give me the right to be coarse or ugly with people; they were only trying to help.

When I went back for check ups (for a few years) I would go to the ward where my room was. I thanked the people at the Nurse's Station and told them I was grateful for the work they chose to do. Because of their choice, I was living my life and it was better than I ever dreamed. My surgeon and oncologist get an email every December with photos of all the things I did/experienced in the previous 11 months and I thank them for another year of life I didn't have coming.

Honestly, I don't know how they do it but I'm glad they did.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:36 AM

Do have to mention one frustrating note. 4 years ago had an appendectomy, preop was pretty horrid, left in hallway of ER. For the surgery they had to remove my insulin pump, frustrated I let them. Then 4 hours after surgery I needed pump back on and let me back in control, I "fought" with the nurses to get insulin, and they initially refused. Basically saying they knew more than me. My sugar was going out of control (even without eating) due to stress. After trantrum or 2, was allowed to take back my control.

Other, more significant surgeries (back fusions) I was allowed to keep my pump on, let me control how much I needed post op and my sugar was stable.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:08 AM

I'll chime in - ER nurse part time, and charge nurse in a nursing home (hospice/alzheimers/etc...) when I am not working my full time fire department gig. Nursing isn't a job one does for money, but it is rewarding in a different way. Of all I do, I love working with my old folks the best. Let me talk about the true unsung hero's... Custodial services and CNA's. Both keep everything flowing... I make sure (when I am working on the Fire side) to get to know the CNA staff and custodians in facilities I respond to. They know far more than anyone else about what makes a place operate. If you have loved ones in a facility, get to know them too... The DD coffee and bagles is great for the nursing staff... but please remember to include the ancillary folks who are so often forgotten. 5$ gift cards to the hospital's coffee shop... get a handful and give 'em out as you notice workers who go above and beyond. The guy pushing the mop... who moves chairs... It is easy to see who is caring and who isn't. Give the cards, a thanks and remember a name. A note to their supervisor is HUGE - and improving morale among these essential staffers improves outcomes for patients overall, including your loved ones. It is a cheap investment in good people with a fantastic payout.

Oh yeah, Glazed... never enough glazed donuts. All of the other weird stuff gets left... Hint...
Old 11-18-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Do have to mention one frustrating note. 4 years ago had an appendectomy, preop was pretty horrid, left in hallway of ER. For the surgery they had to remove my insulin pump, frustrated I let them. Then 4 hours after surgery I needed pump back on and let me back in control, I "fought" with the nurses to get insulin, and they initially refused. Basically saying they knew more than me. My sugar was going out of control (even without eating) due to stress. After trantrum or 2, was allowed to take back my control.

Other, more significant surgeries (back fusions) I was allowed to keep my pump on, let me control how much I needed post op and my sugar was stable.
You are in control of your own care. Next time just say you are willing to sign an AMA note to keep the pump, and that you want to discuss it with the doctor before they take it away. They won't.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
You are in control of your own care. Next time just say you are willing to sign an AMA note to keep the pump, and that you want to discuss it with the doctor before they take it away. They won't.
I have to agree. The first important lesson I learned in the process was that health care professionals manage the team, YOU own it.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
+ ∞ on nurses. Like them so much I married one!

Me too. Good nurses are born, not made.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:02 PM

After 12 years in radiology I went back to school to become a nurse. Just finished a year long internship on a VA hospice unit. Quite a humbling experience to say the least but extremely rewarding. Recently started another assignment on an acute mental health unit at VA. A whole different side of nursing, not sure that it is the unit for me but time will tell. Trying to get motivated to get back into school for my NP.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:38 PM
Descent fitness

Agree with all above.
I work in a NICU with an average of 8 RNs and 2 RTs per shift. If I didn't have to be there to sign orders, they could pretty much run the place without me...great group of people.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:54 AM

Whereas my initial post was based on a personal situation, I want to reiterate my gratitude to everyone in the medical field helping during those challenging times.
Heard the other day of retired doctors and nurses, some in their late 70s, that volunteered to go back to work.
Keeping in mind that those folks automatically fall into the prime risk group due to their age, I have nothing but admiration for them.

THANK YOU!
Old 03-20-2020, 11:56 AM

Many thanks to the nurses who treated me when i was in miserable shape.