Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2019, 06:23 AM

Have had one a little over a year at wife’s insistence. Use it regularly when the weather is poor (prefer to be outside) or I get busy, it’s very solid. The pedal thing is a nit. It works the legs differently than the bike probably because it’s more ‘upright’ but maybe that’s just how mine is set up. Wide variety of classes. It’s not cycling - it’s spinning - but I like it.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:05 PM
aka RAEKWON

Got the peleton today. Wife is very excited and already did a class. Got her some spd shoes and changed the pedals to spd, was told I could and warranty would still apply. Not sure why they did not go dual side spd to begin with. The bike is actually very nice, very good built quality, tablet is nice, fast and responsive . Very easy to jump on it and so a class. I did a quick 10 min climb class and I left a pool of sweat on the mat. I hope she uses it a lot and who knows maybe will make her want to ride her bike outside more. I will probably use it a bunch over winter. I never liked trainers, I can do maybe 1 to 1 and half hours on zwift and then I want out... so I never really enjoyed it. With this thing, you are only suppose to do an hour or even less and the music is so bad that you want to just go faster so maybe it can end lol but no its pretty fun. As said above, its not cycling and does not beat going outside (even in winter) but when you dont have time it cant be beat.

Also it was still expensive and I dunno if I would have gone for it had I not got the friends and fam discount but very happy.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:52 PM

$900 for this one: https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/b...021881929.html with all the accesories, in case anyone else is looking. NYC is raining cheap spin bikes.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:39 PM
What? Where?!

Update?

hey R3awak3n any long-term "ride" update on your wife's Peloton?

I'm contemplating one and doing my homework.

I thought about Zwift, but I currently do not have a trainer and only have my Ottrott as a bike. If I already have to spend $800-1000 for a fancy trainer for Zwift only to spin away on my Ottrott, I think I may rather spend the extra for a nice spin bike (AKA Peloton) and spare the wear and tear on my Ottrott for the real riding.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:01 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrawny View Post
hey R3awak3n any long-term "ride" update on your wife's Peloton?

I'm contemplating one and doing my homework.

I thought about Zwift, but I currently do not have a trainer and only have my Ottrott as a bike. If I already have to spend $800-1000 for a fancy trainer for Zwift only to spin away on my Ottrott, I think I may rather spend the extra for a nice spin bike (AKA Peloton) and spare the wear and tear on my Ottrott for the real riding.
We like ours a lot. Wife barely rides it lol (surprise surprise). I rode the crap out of it in the beggining, its pretty fun. I enjoy it a lot. Then I started training for DK200 so I switched back to my trainer and trainer road because I was following a training plan.

Personally I would spend my money on one of those wahoo bikes (yes they cost more money but then you can use anything you want). Its kind of wack that I have to pay peleton $40 a month and have the bike but if you just do peleton through the app you pay only $20. I mean you don't get the "power" thing like the peleton bike but its not like the bike has a power meter anyways.

The good thing is, the bike is VERY nice, its very well built, I will give them that... its not a expensive thing thats crap, its not, QC is very high. I also paid substantially less so I am still have with it but I don't think I could pay full price.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:21 PM

Don't understand all the Peloton hate. I think it's a great model and bought a bunch o' PTON stock in November at $23. Doubled my money and I see it going up from there. But I guess haters gotta hate, even if it's not a high paying profession.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
The good thing is, the bike is VERY nice, its very well built, I will give them that... its not a expensive thing thats crap, its not, QC is very high. I also paid substantially less so I am still have with it but I don't think I could pay full price.
IMO, the peloton is built nicer than the Wahoo bike. The wahoo is more adjustable and has more features though.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:55 PM
LateStart

2 years in...

My wife is afraid to ride on the road despite having a really nice Fierte...

She LOVES LOVES the Peloton and rides it 3-6 days a week All kinds of rides -- classes, visual tours, listening to books on tape, etc. Still has no interest in actual riding.

I have maybe ridden it 5 times. It's nice, but doesn't really work for me. I don't mind running on a treadmill, but something about the Peloton bores me to tears. I think the lack of movement.

I have ordered all the bits and hope to be up on full rollers and Zwift in the next month (AliExpress is a bit slow!). Hope that is more entertaining.

The bike itself is rock solid and we've had no problems. Like all exercise subscriptions, it's probably worth it if you use it.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:52 PM
I need you cool.

Peloton placement in real life.....

Not mine....wish it was...the house, not the "stationary bike"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Peloton in real life.jpeg (78.2 KB, 236 views)
Old 09-14-2020, 09:28 PM

Reviving this thread as my daughter is contemplating a purchase. Any additional thoughts/comments?
Old 09-15-2020, 12:13 AM

https://www.bowflex.com/bikes/veloco...iAAEgLJxPD_BwE
Look at this it less money and has more features I think
Old 09-15-2020, 05:08 AM

We have the peloton bike. My wife did the regular spin bike and app for about a year and loved it. Decided to purchase the bike. She now continues to do it everyday just about and still enjoys is. And not going to lie I love using it as well in the off season. Definitely makes you stronger and the content is fantastic. It gets you to hop on the bike which is everything.

Yes there are a ton of competition for Peloton bikes. Much cheaper solutions as well but..... the money in Peloton is not so much the bike but the content. Much much better than the competition and that is what gets you to ride it everyday day rather than just being a clothesline in a couple months.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:30 AM

My wife recently purchased a Keiser, and uses Peloton workouts streaming through a Firestick. Seems to be a pretty good setup.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:26 AM

Wife and I turned 40 within a few weeks of each other a couple years back.
She got a Peloton, and I got a 333Fab frameset (and access to the Peloton). I got the better end of the deal.

She loves it.
We have small kids so I have grown to like it too, given that I can ride it at night after they've gone to bed, or when they're playing in the next room. It's not the same as riding a bike outdoors, but you can make it as good a workout as you have the willpower to manage.

I do the Power Zones with Matt Wilpers when I want structure. He's not overly shouty. Otherwise I do Ally Love rides to zone out, or just put her classes on mute, ignore the actual class, and watch TV. Been doing a lot of that during pandemic, cranking through documentaries etc.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:10 AM

Peloton (slightly OT - weight training related)

Getting ours tmro - will sit between one of my bikes (on the Wahoo Kickr/Trainerroad) and the Concept 2 erg. My wife has expressed interest in a Peloton, and I've enjoyed the Peloton the few times I've done that - so there.

I'd like to get a simple weight set for the basement too. Any suggestions? Back in pre-covid days, I would be able to hit the gym for a series of leg-specific workouts (squats, leg extensions etc.) and would like to do the same - wondering if PLers have suggestions on home weight training solutions for somewhat tight quarters...doesn't have to do everything (i.e. we have pull-up bars in the basement) but some leg/arm stuff would be handy I would think.

many thanks

m_b