Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2019, 08:05 AM
aka RAEKWON

I wonder if one of those things fits in my wagon. Do those things fold at all? Looks like I will be much luckier to find one in nyc or westchester than up here in the catskills.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:11 AM
Administrator

i'm reasonably certain you could get that in the vee-dub. i envision pulling the seatmast thing and the handlebar support columb and i bet it would slide right in.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:18 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'm reasonably certain you could get that in the vee-dub. i envision pulling the seatmast thing and the handlebar support columb and i bet it would slide right in.
yeah I think so too. Apparently the screen comes off easily. Still not 100% on this but might be a nice xmas gift. Decided not going to buy new though... and if you change the pedals there goes the warranty and I would definitely change the pedals right away to SPD or SPD SL so I could use it too (and SPD is so much better for this so you can walk around the house...)

We were at my wifes halloween party yesterday and talked to a few people and they mentioned that they just bought a peloton. I can't believe these things have got so popular. I guess thats why they went public, a lot of money flowing.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Decided not going to buy new though...
yea, good call.

something like this, even if popular is going to drop in value pretty quickly, especially since you can't just ride it home. the moving hassle is worth something for sure.

you know if you offer this guy like 900 in hundred dollar bills and show up ready to move it out of his crowded living room, you've probably got a deal.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:34 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
... and if you change the pedals there goes the warranty and I would definitely change the pedals right away to SPD or SPD SL so I could use it too (and SPD is so much better for this so you can walk around the house...)...
I am still trying to figure out how the pedals have anything to do with durability or anything that affects the warranty?!!

They should sell the things without pedals as a benefit ("Use your own!") and offer pedals and shoes as add-ons ("I don't ride outside").

Weird.....
Old 10-25-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I am still trying to figure out how the pedals have anything to do with durability or anything that affects the warranty?!!

They should sell the things without pedals as a benefit ("Use your own!") and offer pedals and shoes as add-ons ("I don't ride outside").

Weird.....
B/c they sell shoes branded with Peloton logo, though that could at least be made compatible with Look Keo and Shimano...
Old 10-25-2019, 09:38 AM

I am wondering if the rise of Peloton and then the impending crash is related to the life cycle of the indoor cycling "boutique fitness studios".

A couple years ago there were 3 spin cycle studios within 1/4 mile of my office. They had all the typical characteristics:

$200+ a month for an all you can spin plans
Darkened rooms with candles and booming techno
Stuff like locker rooms or showers not provided
Have to register for classes every time to get a spot
Some of them provide bike shoes? (Gross?)

We had:
- life cycle fitness (local spin place)
- RevX
- Cycl3 (from the Barr3 people)

Also within 1/4 mile:
- Orange Theory (not really indoor spin but I think they throw you on a bike 1/3 of the class)
- Pure Barre
- One of the kickboxing boutique fitness gyms (with another one another 1/2 mile away)
- A boot camp type place
- A crossfit box

As of now 2 of the 3 spin studios are out of business 2 years later. The crossfit box went out of business AFAICT, the boot camp place also went out of business.

We had a "Lifetime fitness" mega luxury gym open maybe 1/2 mile away. I think that is about $250/month but it basically has everything these boutique places offer + full weights, cardio equipment, multiple gorgeous pools, hot tubs, sauna, yoga classes, spin, actually has showers & locker rooms, etc.. I think that might have imploded the market for these places locally. On top of that the gym in our office park got much much nicer and that's free if you work in the offices.

But at least for the spin it also seems possible a bunch of their customers bought a Peloton. The Peloton is more affordable than going to one of these studios, you don't have to drive there, when you're at your house you have a shower, etc.. I'm not sure how long it takes for the cost of the Peloton bike to get paid for but the monthly fees are significantly cheaper than the studios, it probably pays for itself within a year.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
You probably can't argue against it. The used idea is a good one.

The question is really how long does it stay fun.

My wife got convinced she had to have a fancy Nordic Track treadmill that has an onboard computer and basically does "Peloton for running" last year. She used it for a while but then hurt her knee and fell off the wagon and has been off for a long time now. So it sits, and it does have fees just like Peloton due to the computer/video service built in.

I've got a BNIB ProForm treadmill in my dining room waiting to be assembled on Monday. My only fear is that even though we're both runners already, we'll gradually used it less and less until I've got a $1500 coat rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-26-2019, 08:47 AM
Randomhead

I think I see more treadmill set out as trash than any other kind of exercise equipment. Or maybe they are just so big that they are easy to spot, dunno.

Ours gets used a couple of times per year. I bought my daughter a trainer stand for her bike and she used it once, I think. We had a trainer bike and my wife finally gave it to someone. Two small trampolines. I used to use one for warm up before I went skiing, worked great for that. Two rowing machines. I was thinking about getting one out of storage, I think we gave the other one away. We have a stand for practicing boxing/martial arts. My wife does use that for exercise occasionally, but mostly it's a clothes rack.

I try to fight any new piece of exercise equipment.

Last edited by unterhausen; 10-26-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:59 AM
what's a little rust?

Dad got a treadmill for walking as a way to manage his weight and blood pressure. He's a big college football fan and he'll typically walk well past his timer due to some tense game situation, so I figure it's a good purchase. I use my rollers on the weekends while I catch up on bike races and world cup xc skiing. I don't enjoy spin classes.

P.S. to the OP--if your wife wants it, and it's affordable for you, why not. Maybe she'll love it.

Last edited by 72gmc; 10-26-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:02 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Dad got a treadmill for walking as a way to manage his weight and blood pressure. He's a big college football fan and he'll typically walk well past his timer due to some tense game situation, so I figure it's a good purchase. I use my rollers on the weekends while I catch up on bike races and world cup xc skiing. I don't enjoy spin classes.

P.S. to the OP--if your wife wants it, and it's affordable for you, why not. Maybe she'll love it.
100% but she also does not want to spend $2200 on it lol but I think we are good with 1200 or so for a used one so I will start shopping around craigslist when we 100% sure. Will she love it? Maybe. But at least I know I will use it in winter.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:15 PM

https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/b...012191657.html
Old 11-03-2019, 05:02 AM
aka RAEKWON

Good deal but I may have found something already.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:09 AM

We have a Peloton.

It has SPD pedals, swapping pedals is no different than any other bike.

It is solid, all around. Nothing flops.

It’s in our 1780 farm house.

I would be fine with Kurt Kinetic + iPad + Zwift, my wife would not.

$2k is cheaper than many used bikes in the classifieds.

Quality is on par with a $2k Trekalized, atmo.

My wife is the primary user, and is happy.

We also use it to dry clothing.

I don’t see a super strong business model, but Peloton is unusually sticky - sustained engagement rates are very high.

My calculus is: if we get 3-4 years out of this bike, and my wife is happy - then I’m happy.

We’re on year 2.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:22 AM
aka RAEKWON

Exactly as I see it and she is very excited about it. Will be her xmas gift.

I have a friend that knows a friend so in the middle of getting a friends and family bike. Its usually an customer return bike, current generation and with 1 year warranty for $1500. Still a lot of money but closer to what I want to spend. We will see what happens.

As far as changing pedals, I would immediately but apparently voids warranty so I guess I will have to live without my spd sls for a minute (actually id probably put pds, which I am surprised its not what comes with it since they are the best shoes for walking around the house and dual entry very easy for new ppl)