Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2019, 11:11 AM
aka RAEKWON

Peloton

My wife wants one of these things. I am not gonna lie, I have done a class (not peloton but a competitor) in nyc and it was actually a blast. I could put her bike on my trainer and have her do zwift but its not the same thing, I don't actually think she would enjoy it (and she does not like her bike, more of a 1x townie).

Anyone have one of these? Is this a dumb idea? I figure it will be good and easy (but that I mean convenient) for her, she is usually super busy and this might be great for her. The price is my only thing, $2000 + membership. Not like we don't have bikes that cost that but what will stop her from never using it and here we are out of 2k and with an ugly bike in the office. I know Id probably use it too though, those spin classes are great imo.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Their warranty/customer service is reportedly crap.

They use old Look Delta pedals (go find cleats) and if you change pedals - no warranty on the whole shebang.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:20 AM

Incidentally, I was listening to a podcast the other day that mentioned that Peloton’s newest lawsuit was against a competitor: Echelon
Funny enough, I’d never heard of this company until the news of the lawsuit, so, if anything it is serving as advertisement for this smaller company. They do seem so be cheaper in all accounts. Don’t know about customer service or product quality.

I personally think that for the amount of cash involved here the customer should be getting a full “smart” bike that control resistance on its own . All of these bikes have a manual resistance. Anyway...
Old 10-23-2019, 11:23 AM

We bought a used one a few months ago for my wife. I went through the same logic, including how nice of a trainer we can get for similar money - but it was the structured workouts and group rides for accountability that interested her most. She's enjoying it and using it regularly.

My rec - get one used. We found one locally in good shape for half of retail and the previous owner even transferred the remainder of their subscription to us as part of the package. So far it has been reliable (knock on wood). I have heard that the earlier models had some problems with the screen. My wife did the heavy lifting on the research so I'm not sure which ones specifically but that might be something to look into.

Aside from the electronics, they are not terribly complicated and major wear items like belts/bearings are available and reasonably easy to install.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:30 AM
I need you cool.

The real question, is do you have the right place for it?
Old 10-23-2019, 11:36 AM

You probably can't argue against it. The used idea is a good one.

The question is really how long does it stay fun.

My wife got convinced she had to have a fancy Nordic Track treadmill that has an onboard computer and basically does "Peloton for running" last year. She used it for a while but then hurt her knee and fell off the wagon and has been off for a long time now. So it sits, and it does have fees just like Peloton due to the computer/video service built in.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post

They use old Look Delta pedals (go find cleats) and if you change pedals - no warranty on the whole shebang.

BK
This warranty response was the same response that I got (i.e., you replace the pedals, then no warranty). However, from the Peloton facebook group, I know that other Peloton owners have gotten other answers from Peloton about whether the warranty is voided. I just ended up getting a cheap pair of spin shoes to use on the LOOK pedals because having the warranty (particularly because I was planning on moving) was more valuable to me than low-end shimanos.

As someone else suggested, the best thing to do is to get one that hasn't been heavily used.

One more thing--there is a big copyright infringement lawsuit against Peloton right now, so depending on your taste in music, the classes might not be as interesting as they used to be. This is probably a temporary problem, but if music is your thing...
Old 10-23-2019, 12:36 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post

BK
I did not know this. This is VERY dumb. I use shimano pedals and though, hey I can just put shimano peals, get my wife shimano cleats and happy we are. This is seriously dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
Incidentally, I was listening to a podcast the other day that mentioned that Peloton’s newest lawsuit was against a competitor: Echelon
Funny enough, I’d never heard of this company until the news of the lawsuit, so, if anything it is serving as advertisement for this smaller company. They do seem so be cheaper in all accounts. Don’t know about customer service or product quality.

I personally think that for the amount of cash involved here the customer should be getting a full “smart” bike that control resistance on its own . All of these bikes have a manual resistance. Anyway...
I also think big music companies are sueing peloton because they were playing commercial licensed music and technically streaming it in their classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
We bought a used one a few months ago for my wife. I went through the same logic, including how nice of a trainer we can get for similar money - but it was the structured workouts and group rides for accountability that interested her most. She's enjoying it and using it regularly.

My rec - get one used. We found one locally in good shape for half of retail and the previous owner even transferred the remainder of their subscription to us as part of the package. So far it has been reliable (knock on wood). I have heard that the earlier models had some problems with the screen. My wife did the heavy lifting on the research so I'm not sure which ones specifically but that might be something to look into.

Aside from the electronics, they are not terribly complicated and major wear items like belts/bearings are available and reasonably easy to install.
I am into the used idea, I never buy new bikes either. My problem is I looked at them earlier today and no joke they are $1800-$2000 around here. So the new one is $2200 which I would glady pay for a warranty... Id consider one for $1200 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
The real question, is do you have the right place for it?
Absolutely do not and I hate the way they look. We have a 200 year old farm house so this thing will not fit anywhere. Then again, most of the house looks like crap still and many years till we remodel it all so really it could go anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
You probably can't argue against it. The used idea is a good one.

The question is really how long does it stay fun.

My wife got convinced she had to have a fancy Nordic Track treadmill that has an onboard computer and basically does "Peloton for running" last year. She used it for a while but then hurt her knee and fell off the wagon and has been off for a long time now. So it sits, and it does have fees just like Peloton due to the computer/video service built in.
Just like zwift I think it will be fun for the first month, then its another chore and I rather be outside. However might be different to my wife. I don't think she will even find it fun the first time, its more of the whole, I get some exercise and can compete against other people (a couple of friends of ours have one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDFWrider View Post
This warranty response was the same response that I got (i.e., you replace the pedals, then no warranty). However, from the Peloton facebook group, I know that other Peloton owners have gotten other answers from Peloton about whether the warranty is voided. I just ended up getting a cheap pair of spin shoes to use on the LOOK pedals because having the warranty (particularly because I was planning on moving) was more valuable to me than low-end shimanos.

As someone else suggested, the best thing to do is to get one that hasn't been heavily used.

One more thing--there is a big copyright infringement lawsuit against Peloton right now, so depending on your taste in music, the classes might not be as interesting as they used to be. This is probably a temporary problem, but if music is your thing...
funny, the worst thing about taking that spin class I did was the music. I cannot take any more beyonce EDM remixes lol. But I do think its going to suck for them if they have to license music or use crappy stuff.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I am into the used idea, I never buy new bikes either. My problem is I looked at them earlier today and no joke they are $1800-$2000 around here. So the new one is $2200 which I would glady pay for a warranty... Id consider one for $1200 though.
I think we paid $1100 for the one we got and that included two pairs of shoes and the remaining time on the subscription. It needed to be cleaned up a bit - the previous owners were prodigious sweaters and they didn't always wipe it down after use but that was an easy fix. We sold the pedals, shoes, and saddle and I replaced with her preferred options for each.

I haven't used a ton of spin bikes, but this one feels more solid, smooth, and quiet than anything else I've used.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:52 PM

while no doubt a good workout, like almost anything cardio, my prediction is it will turn into what most expensive workout apparatuses turn into: a space occupying, well marketed paper weight. but if you have a dedicated workout room and your wife is a serious indoor workout person, the stationary bike may have a long useful life ahead of itself. I personally can't get over the amount of sweat generated indoor cycling without the movement of air around me, and the room begins to stink, which is why I've abandoned both my rollers and trainers over time.

there is a beautiful peloton store here in old town. I can't believe they are able to invest in a walk in demo store on Colorado blvd from selling stationary bikes. Either they are doing incredibly well, contrary to their stock price, or are more of a marketing company than a workout company.

Last edited by cinema; 10-23-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post

I also think big music companies are sueing peloton because they were playing commercial licensed music and technically streaming it in their classes.
Actually, in this case Peloton is suing Echelon. The specifics is duplication of patent, not sure if it would hold, per the podcast explanation. But for sure it is helping Echelon with free advertising
Old 10-23-2019, 01:24 PM

Also, will Peloton be around in 5 years? Seems like something that dies in the next recession.

https://www.inc.com/business-insider/peloton-ipo-losses-john-foley-profitable-cnbc.html
Old 10-23-2019, 01:26 PM

Peloton

I tried one at a nice Washington DC Hotel. Honestly, the thing felt “flimsy”, the monitor was not well anchored and “flopped” around and when I got up off the saddle it just did not feel solid. I think that a nice “smart” trainer with the right “application would be just as fun. BTW, that thing ain’t cheap....
Old 10-23-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post

Echelon used to make virtual racing software that was compatible with my old Schwinn Velodyne 20 years or more ago if I recall correctly.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I tried one at a nice Washington DC Hotel. Honestly, the thing felt “flimsy”, the monitor was not well anchored and “flopped” around and when I got up off the saddle it just did not feel solid. I think that a nice “smart” trainer with the right “application would be just as fun. BTW, that thing ain’t cheap....
Might be because it was more abused than used as a hotel work out piece. Ours is solid.