Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2019, 03:01 PM

I've only ever been on a hardtail and only 26ers at that. But a good buddy went from an S-Works Epic to a ti hardtail and has no regrets at all. Most of the trails here in west Michigan are fairly smooth but occasionally some rocks and roots. For our conditions a hardtail is probably all you need. But there are lots of folks on FS bikes too. I believe you get wore out faster on a hardtail though.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I'm in the process of deciding whether I want to upgrade my 04 C'dale Scalpel to a 29er full suspension or hardtail. I don't do big drops, just ride with my kids MTB team for fun and fitness, and am riding mainly singletrack in central Virginia.

I am leaning towards getting a hardtail for budget reasons and wanted to see if anyone here had moved from full suspension to hardtail and had some feedback on what they liked or didn't like.
Thanks
From this description you definitely should ride a rigid 29er. It´s all about what trails you are riding. A FS may take all the fun of mellow trail riding.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I don't do big drops, just ride with my kids MTB team for fun and fitness, and am riding mainly singletrack in central Virginia.

I am leaning towards getting a hardtail for budget reasons
Thanks
on a budget, a hardtail 29er with a dropper post is capable hi-value option.

Instagram
Old 09-12-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I went from FS to Hardtail to Rigid. Complete opposite of most people.

But depends on your end goal. If speed is top priority, FS XC bike is probably your best bet. I'd imagine riding in VA, there are a lot of roots and rocks. FS would be faster there than HT.

Or you could go softtail.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black
Only $11k for the supercaliber, I'll take two. My scalpel is a softtail as it has the carbon chainstays that just flex rather than having pivots. Sounds like a hardtail is probably in my future unless a nice FS falls into my price range. Anyone want an XL Scalpel?
Old 09-12-2019, 08:33 PM

29x2.5 with a dropper, suspension fork if wanted, dropper for sure!
Old 09-12-2019, 09:37 PM

slight thead drift -- is it possible to retrofit a dropper on an older frame? I have an aluminum Fisher X-Caliber 29er from about 2006. Still works great but discussions of droppers have me intrigued....
Old 09-12-2019, 10:27 PM

At least you guys are no longer attempting to get the OP to buy the only bike he'll ever need...a used 26er FS off of the list

Modern mtb offerings are a lot of fun and there's a lot of choices based on travel, head angle and wheel sizes. Where you live is important too, what passes for trail in California is a lot different than Pennsylvania. Test rides and talk to some locals

If you get any suspension, you'll have to pay someone to maintain it every so often. Doing it yourself is not worth the rabbit hole. But it works well so it's worth it
Old 09-12-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
slight thead drift -- is it possible to retrofit a dropper on an older frame? I have an aluminum Fisher X-Caliber 29er from about 2006. Still works great but discussions of droppers have me intrigued....
It´s all about seat tube diameter. Most droppers are 30.9 or something. There are some units w/ 27.2 diameter but w/ less drop and maybe less stout. Other than that.. sure why not?
Old 09-12-2019, 10:30 PM

Inexpensive externally routed are available...if you have room for a lever That left shifter gets in the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Old 09-12-2019, 10:42 PM

I’ve got one of each.

2016 Trek EX9 FS 29”. Fast, fun, climbs OK. I’m in CA, don’t ride in the mud or rain. Cleaning, lube, brake pads, a rotor, no bearing service.

For further bearing service interval, I had a Turner 5 Spot FS for 6-7 years. Rode it all over the country. Wet and dry. Never a pivot issue.

Hard tail is a Retrotec Funduro 27.5+. I ride this bike more than the FS. Not as fast, not smooth in the rocks, climbs maybe better, real fun.

At 58 I’m not as fast as I used to be, but I still like a turn of speed. Both bikes serve that purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2019, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post

I am really intrigued by the Supercaliber and the isostrut.
Me too, it looks like a cool bike.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:19 AM

'So many variables......but another consideration is buying a used FS....check pinkbike for huge assortment and visit mtbr or bikeradar for reviews.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:37 AM

I might sell my Chameleon HT or try to trade it for some sort of XC race rig as soon as I get 30 posts.

Bike is awesome but I grab the FS 29er every time when the choice is available.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdog98 View Post
'So many variables......but another consideration is buying a used FS....check pinkbike for huge assortment and visit mtbr or bikeradar for reviews.
Definitely going the used route. Have a couple HT options on the radar here and on pinkbike.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:32 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Definitely going the used route. Have a couple HT options on the radar here and on pinkbike.
If you ride a medium, I can certainly help out with a Top Fuel 9.9

M