Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2016, 10:04 PM

Real life benefits of carbon wheels?

Dead sexy on the right bike, but it seems a lot of the advances are to get back to aluminum rim performance and weight benchmarks. I get the aero benefits at speed, but is there any day to day benefit for the typical rider? Think neighborhood streets with stop signs and long avenues but nothing epically epic.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:12 PM

If you like creaky wheels with a really limited lifespan, buy em. Otherwise save your dinero. Aero is the only benefit, plan on them lasting less than 5000 miles
Old 08-30-2016, 10:16 PM

Lol.

I love my Shamals, but Hyperons are head and shoulders better.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:16 PM

About the same real life benefits of a carbon frame.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:27 PM

They're fast. Borrow a pair or test out some loaners from your LBS. There will likely be naysayers around here but I suggest you make your own opinion.

I'm 5500 miles in on a pair if Chinese carbon clinchers. 200+\- miles a week of shotty intown Atlanta roads. When I ride other wheels, I miss my carbons. I'm a roadie racer with a 15# bike.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:30 PM
aka RAEKWON

maybe my alloy wheels are not as awesome but my enve wheels spin pretty fast and they are stiff. I do feel faster with them but could just be in my head.

braking sucks but I quite enjoy ridding carbon wheels
Old 08-30-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post
They're fast. Borrow a pair or test out some loaners from your LBS. There will likely be naysayers around here but I suggest you make your opinion
Yep. Im curious enough that i will eventually. But its good to have some expectations. thats not a cheap experiment either.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:59 PM
aka RAEKWON

there has been some really great prices on used carbon in the classifieds, great time to give it a try
Old 08-31-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
They're fast. Borrow a pair or test out some loaners from your LBS. There will likely be naysayers around here but I suggest you make your own opinion.

I'm 5500 miles in on a pair if Chinese carbon clinchers. 200+\- miles a week of shotty intown Atlanta roads. When I ride other wheels, I miss my carbons. I'm a roadie racer with a 15# bike.
They're fast if you're fast.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:55 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:

We've had a few people renting wheels (303s, 808s) coming back saying either it didn't make a difference or they were actually slower.

First and foremost, you have to (get this!) PEDAL THE @#$% BIKE! The aero wheels are that last little bit of speed to help you hang on to the back of the pack or go OTF to win. They're not a panacea for not doing the intervals, etc. Wheels won't make you Cancellara, YOU make you Cancellara.

They certainly aren't a motor that will pedal the bike for you.

Real world? They'll get you about a gear harder (at speed) for the same effort. That's about it. Slower speeds = less benefit other than 'hey lookit me! I'm kewl!'

Having said that: I like em. I've got a few pair now.

...and ride whatcha want. If it makes you want to go ride your bike, it's a good thing.

M
Old 08-31-2016, 08:05 AM

when i travel i borrow a bike from a pal that has 'em, and they're a heck of a lotta fun when going on terrain and at a pace that suits them (flattish/rolling). i'd call that sweet spot high teens+ mph.

otherwise, it's embarrassing when the road tilts up and i'm "that guy" grinding along at 6-7 mph with high zoot aero wheels.

one thing i'm not a fan of is the braking feel vs. alu. especially if wet/damp out. really takes some finessing/getting used to.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:47 AM
Dadwatts

Quote:
200+\- miles a week of shotty intown Atlanta roads.
Brave soul right here riding in Atlanta.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:23 PM

wow. thought it was a simple question, just wanted to know what to expect from these when i satisfy the curiosity and buy a set.
i assumed that carbon wheels are established enough that they weren't so polarizing anymore.

let's focus on the braking then. all the other stuff, weight, "speed", sound, i can decide for myself if it's for me, but the braking is a function that just absolutely needs to be there. are we at the point that standard rim brakes (with whatever recommended pads) will work reasonably well? riding in populated areas, there can be lots of surprises some days.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
wow. thought it was a simple question, just wanted to know what to expect from these when i satisfy the curiosity and buy a set.
i assumed that carbon wheels are established enough that they weren't so polarizing anymore.

let's focus on the braking then. all the other stuff, weight, "speed", sound, i can decide for myself if it's for me, but the braking is a function that just absolutely needs to be there. are we at the point that standard rim brakes (with whatever recommended pads) will work reasonably well? riding in populated areas, there can be lots of surprises some days.
Fwiw, my Hyperons brake slightly worse than my Shamals, but it ain't by much. Still on par with a lot of alloy rims I've ridden, and that's down some rather funky descents here in the East Bay.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:28 PM

Many carbon rims still struggle when wet. In dry breaking is a non issue on carbon rims imo