Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2024, 01:00 PM
Meh

Motivation and frame color

Have you ever had a bike build that was perfectly dialed except for one aspect - the color of the frame - and found that demotivated you from riding it?

Or conversely, have you ever had a bike where the color of the frame caused you to favor it more?

I have a mountain bike like this. And it's a great bike, exactly the one I wanted, build is completely dialed - except that I compromised on the color because it was the only one I could find in my size and as a frame-only instead of a complete bike. Every time I look at the color I try to make peace with it and yet...
Old 03-29-2024, 01:08 PM

At the high end, that is a $900 problem that Ollie from Dark Matter could fix. I bet Earl Scheib could get you right for $99.99. If you love the bike, paint that SOB. That's how I've solved the problem twice and I've been happy both times.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:13 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLQ View Post
At the high end, that is a $900 problem that Ollie from Dark Matter could fix. I bet Earl Scheib could get you right for $99.99. If you love the bike, paint that SOB. That's how I've solved the problem twice and I've been happy both times.
I'm aware of that. It's a full suspension carbon bike so it wouldn't be a cheap process. This is more about the motivational phenomenon which I find interesting, since it should not matter at all rationally speaking.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:39 PM

"rationally speaking" : O

there is nothing rational about anything going on anywhere on this site.

i have that issue with a few tiny decals on a nude carbon bike. i've tried to get the maker to supply me with different color vinyl so i can replace them, but to no avail. does that make you feel any more sane?

Old 03-29-2024, 01:50 PM

I bought a couple bikes based on price/availability when I didn't like the color.

After some time, I never thought about the money I saved, but still thought about the color that didn't like. Ultimately, those bikes got moved on.

In short, I no longer compromise in this area.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Have you ever had a bike build that was perfectly dialed except for one aspect - the color of the frame - and found that demotivated you from riding it?
Yes. I wish I didn't let it bother me, but it seems I can't escape this behavior. It's irrational, but it's also real.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:17 PM

I have refrained from buying some frames or bikes due to the color or graphics. Seeing a bike on the hook that I really like how it looks is a momentary pleasure when getting ready to ride. I felt that way about the red Casati I had, and the dark blue Firefly. And now, the Supersix. Especially with the Supersix, I lucked into that Cobalt Blue model, because they made a lot of versions of the Hi-Mod that I didn't care much for aesthetically.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLQ View Post
I fully agree with this. He etched one frame (Stainless Steel) for me and I just got a repaint back from him. It is an exact repaint of the frame as it was. He really does nice work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 432930230_7369666759780721_3666708373537079432_n.jpg (143.9 KB, 420 views)
Old 03-29-2024, 02:42 PM

Yes, same exact issue with my hardtail. I looked into having it painted, but then I had an idea: I found the same bike in a better color, gently used, swapped my parts onto it and sold the offending one.

I realize the whole sequence is absurd, but it didn't cost much, and now everything about the bike is perfect.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:51 PM

Color matters! A guy was trying to sell me a black bike - ugh - and said “You can’t see the color when you’re riding it! I replied “But I can see it in my garage!”

My road bike and my gravel bike are perfect for me in size, fit and specs AND I love how they look!! Win-win!!!

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2024, 03:00 PM

I could care less. I own a lime green bike that I painted myself.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:05 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
I could care less. I own a lime green bike that I painted myself.
You, sir, are the smarter person. I wish I could feel this way!
Old 03-29-2024, 03:08 PM

I can't say that the color prevents me or de-motivates me from riding a particular bike I currently own, but it does make me want to sell it. The color I wanted was unavailable when I bought and I've been wanting that other color ever since. Maybe I should look in to having the frame painted, as some have suggest above.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:12 PM

When I saw my C50 listed on eBay in nude carbon, I had to have it. I still love it.

Conversely, my first Colnago, a Spiral Conic SLX, had a pink and pearl weave that for some crazy reason was popular around 1990. Before I ever built it, I had Peter Mooney align it, prep it for a threadless stem and send it to Ted Wojcik for paint in my favorite shade of blue.

I took a David Rourke cyclocross frame to Toby Stanton to have the yellow paint obliterated, replaced with another favorite shade of blue...but Toby, bless him asked why I wanted to do that. I said I didn't like the yellow...he said sure, he could paint it but it would still be the wrong size for me. So...Toby built me a custom 'cross frame that was in fact both the correct size and in a favorite shade of blue.

Turns out that 'cross bike sits next to a yellow unicorn Colnago Master CX in my workshop. But since it's a unicorn, I'm not touching it, paintwise.

Yea, color matters.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-29-2024, 03:34 PM

Yes, color matters.

So does the font.