Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM

Challenge tires

What is the difference between Strada and Strada Bianca? Some product descriptions say they both have puncture protection layers. I can usually figure this stuff out but I’m stumped.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:36 PM

I think the Stradas are just pavement (25-30mm) and the Strada Biancas run larger (30-45mm) and are also a dry condition gravel tire.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:52 PM
Forward the Foundation

You’ll need this.

https://www.challengetires.com/shop/...ing-tool/55172
Old 04-04-2024, 10:41 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweitee View Post
I think the Stradas are just pavement (25-30mm) and the Strada Biancas run larger (30-45mm) and are also a dry condition gravel tire.

Strada to 27mm, Bianca starts @ 30mm. I'm running 30 and 36mm Bianca tubular tubeless.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Strada to 27mm, Bianca starts @ 30mm. I'm running 30 and 36mm Bianca tubular tubeless.
On the Challenge site right now they have both Stradas and Biancas @ 30mm for tubular, tubeless, and clinchers.

I'm not sure what the difference between a 30mm Strada vs a 30mm Bianca would be.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:58 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweitee View Post
On the Challenge site right now they have both Stradas and Biancas @ 30mm for tubular, tubeless, and clinchers.

I'm not sure what the difference between a 30mm Strada vs a 30mm Bianca would be.
Yep, I missed that.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:16 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8357 View Post
nope you need this:

fun aside, i started my "mount a Challenge" Challenge with woodworking clamps, motorcycle tire irons, buckets of soap water and a lot of cursing; and now, after mounting just a few more of them, i barely use a Michelin tire lever. Its all about the technique.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:46 AM

I have the handmade clincher stradas (30mm) on my road bike and I love them. Not sure why, but the tires were extremely easy to mount. paired up with latex tubes and the comfort is amazing.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:54 AM

This brand used to have a terrible reputation for lacking durability. Has that changed?
Old 04-05-2024, 09:21 AM

Challenge Getaway Pro HTLR is my favorite gravel tire. Rolls great on pavement. Solid on gravel. No issues with durability - got a good 3500 miles out of the last rear tire which is all I can expect from any fast design.

Mounting is a bit of a PITA, especially if you don't follow the recommended procedure!
Old 04-05-2024, 12:33 PM

As mentioned for different conditions and different sizes.

Loving the Stradas that came on my bike.
Old 04-05-2024, 01:30 PM

I have one 30mm Strada Bianca (not TLR) that mounted on an Open Pro with tube without a problem. I’m looking for a match but if the Strada is the same but without extra puncture protection that is fine.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
Challenge Getaway Pro HTLR is my favorite gravel tire. Rolls great on pavement. Solid on gravel. No issues with durability - got a good 3500 miles out of the last rear tire which is all I can expect from any fast design.

Mounting is a bit of a PITA, especially if you don't follow the recommended procedure!
Any experience in the wet? I'm planning to run this exact tire on the front this year with a Strada Bianca rear.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harblhat View Post
Any experience in the wet? I'm planning to run this exact tire on the front this year with a Strada Bianca rear.
Yes, plenty. It's nearly always wet here in upstate NY it seems. I have no issues with these tires in the wet, understanding that they have very minimal tread. That said, our roads tend to be rough chip seal that drain well and have good traction even when soaking wet. On the gravel they do fine considering the limited tread type and that they are a bit of a round, rather than square (MTB) profile so your contact patch is limited.

I say these ride like a cross tubular as opposed to the other gravel tires I've put a bunch of miles on lately, the Tufo Gravel Thundero which is more like a narrow MTB tire, and the outer tread layer is a bit more supple and therefore a bit better wet traction. But those roll slower on pavement so I prefer the Getaways.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
Yes, plenty. It's nearly always wet here in upstate NY it seems. I have no issues with these tires in the wet, understanding that they have very minimal tread. That said, our roads tend to be rough chip seal that drain well and have good traction even when soaking wet. On the gravel they do fine considering the limited tread type and that they are a bit of a round, rather than square (MTB) profile so your contact patch is limited.

I say these ride like a cross tubular as opposed to the other gravel tires I've put a bunch of miles on lately, the Tufo Gravel Thundero which is more like a narrow MTB tire, and the outer tread layer is a bit more supple and therefore a bit better wet traction. But those roll slower on pavement so I prefer the Getaways.
Thanks. I've read many accounts of poor wet traction with the Challenge handmade tires, particularly the Strada Bianca and Getaway. Happy to read a different opinion. I don't often ride in the wet so made a conscious choice for fast dry weather tires, but you never know.

Tags
challenge tires