Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2022, 12:40 PM
Meh

Question about SRAM XPLR group compatibility with third-party chainrings

So the XPLR group looks to be a 1x group that uses the AXS flat top chain, and which is incompatible with Eagle chains and cassettes because reasons.

SRAM also makes clear that existing X-SYNC chainrings work with this group: https://support.sram.com/hc/en-us/ar...ed%20cassettes.

Will existing third-party chainrings like Wolf Tooth Drop-Stop work with this group? I don't see anything that leads me to believe otherwise, but curious if anyone has direct experience. Thinking of re-building the Ritchey with an XPLR group with a nice crankset like the Engin Cycles Port Royal.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Will existing third-party chainrings like Wolf Tooth Drop-Stop work with this group? I don't see anything that leads me to believe otherwise, but curious if anyone has direct experience. Thinking of re-building the Ritchey with an XPLR group with a nice crankset like the Engin Cycles Port Royal.

Wolf Tooth chainrings with their Drop-Stop B profile are compatible with SRAM flat-top chains.
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...e334eb55&_ss=r

Some Praxis 1x rings are also flat-top friendly. I am sure there are other brands too.

Those Engin Port Royal cranks look super nice.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 03-29-2022 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:54 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Wolf Tooth chainrings with their Drop-Stop B profile are compatible with SRAM flat-top chains.
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...e334eb55&_ss=r

Some Praxis 1x rings are also flat-top friendly. I am sure there are other brands too.
Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:58 PM

Most Garbaruk 1x chainrings are flattop friendly too.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Most Garbaruk 1x chainrings are flattop friendly too.
As much as this looks like a nicely made product the offset is not making any sense to me. The offset is a very defined thing and to achieve the correct chainline for a road bike it is 45mm. They list the offset different for every tooth count. That makes zero sense to me. The 44, 46 and 48 seem to be in the ballpark of 6mm which is the correct offset for a 3 bolt chainring. But why is it not actually just 6mm throughout the range of rings?

Let me add that the other thing that is slightly odd is that Wolftooth says the 6mm offset produces a 49mm chainline. This is correct if it is for a MTB application and a 73mm shell. If you install a 6mm offset ring on a road set up it is going to produce a 45mm chainline. Their chart does explain this but the menu at purchase says 49mm chainline, which it is not. It seems confusing but really there is one option which is a 6mm offset ring and it will get you a 45mm chainline.

Hope this helps make sense of things.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:35 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnginCycle View Post
Hope this helps make sense of things.
Thank you, Drew, this is helpful. I definitely knew that the 6mm is the one to get for a road / 68mm application, and I agree that the menu is a bit confusing.

The Port Royal crankset looks amazing - are you still taking orders on the 170s?
Old 03-29-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Thank you, Drew, this is helpful. I definitely knew that the 6mm is the one to get for a road / 68mm application, and I agree that the menu is a bit confusing.

The Port Royal crankset looks amazing - are you still taking orders on the 170s?
All sizes are available to order. I am almost done with the spindles (both MTB and Gravel Road) and then I will make all the arms to go off for anodizing. I have already made all the bolts and the caps. I technically have a few of each length done but in order to make a production run I need to make a few pallets and that is all that remains. They are targeted to ship out in 6-8 weeks (to the end users) max.
Old 03-29-2022, 03:31 PM

Here is mine, Rival XPLR with White Industries 1x in 46T

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attac...1&d=1648086839

Tags
axs compatibility