Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2019, 06:20 PM

Thoughts on this product, please ( disc brake content )

Hi all,

Never used disc brakes. Don’t know much about them. But I’m slowly learning as a frame I’m interested in only comes in a flat mount-disc brake version.

Rather than spending big $$$ on replacing my ETap shifters-brake levers, I came across this item. Seems like it could be a great ( and a much cheaper ) way to build up this bike.

https://trpcycling.com/?product=hyrd

Lastly, I dont ride in rain and my riding doesn’t include super long steep descents.

Thoughts, opinions, experiences and flames welcomed.

Thank you all in advance!

Steve
Old 03-05-2019, 06:33 PM

I have HYRD flat mounts and they have been perfect. The other alternative is the Juin Tech F1
Old 03-05-2019, 06:35 PM
aka RAEKWON

Probably better than cable disc brakes, probably worst than full hydro brakes.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:39 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nublar View Post
I have HYRD flat mounts and they have been perfect. The other alternative is the Juin Tech F1
I built a bike for a buddy with the Juin Tech brakes. They actually feel pretty darn good.

Key to any mechanically actuated disc brake is compressionless housing. The M-Sys housing I used isn't compressionless, but it's what the LBS had available. I knew they had it because I ordered it when I worked there! ...specifically for mechanical discs!

Jagwire and Yokozuna both make compressionless housing that work very well. I've used both on other bikes.

M
Old 03-05-2019, 07:23 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Probably better than cable disc brakes, probably worst than full hydro brakes.
^ this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I built a bike for a buddy with the Juin Tech brakes. They actually feel pretty darn good.

Key to any mechanically actuated disc brake is compressionless housing. The M-Sys housing I used isn't compressionless, but it's what the LBS had available. I knew they had it because I ordered it when I worked there! ...specifically for mechanical discs!

Jagwire and Yokozuna both make compressionless housing that work very well. I've used both on other bikes. M
it's not perfect but if you want to use your existing kit then hy/rd + compression less housing is the way to go. but do NOT confuse your experience with how a full hydro system feels or performs
Old 03-05-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
^ this

it's not perfect but if you want to use your existing kit then hy/rd + compression less housing is the way to go. but do NOT confuse your experience with how a full hydro system feels or performs
I’m sure that is true. But I cannot imagine my needs would require full hydro. Or would they?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2019, 12:21 AM
v a n i l l a

Has nothing to do with your needs

It's all about the overall.
Function performance modulation lever pressure maintenance

HY/RD is a band-aid albeit a decent one but still a band-aid.

There was a reason for that product upon introduction but at this point it exists as a corner case for a dwindling population

I'm not saying yes or no for you. But be assured it's better than cable but not equivalent to full hydro
Old 03-06-2019, 02:52 AM

I'd prefer Paul Klampers or would go full hydro.

SPP™
Old 03-06-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpokepete View Post
i'd prefer paul klampers or would go full hydro.

Spp™
+1.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:36 AM

If you're not riding in the rain, or engaged in steep long descents. I see absolutely no reason to mess with disc brakes. Seems you volunteered these facts for a reason. I'm guessing you thought about this and want disc brakes anyway for some reason that's not baked in logic. Maybe you think they look nice?
Old 03-06-2019, 05:44 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColnagoC59 View Post
If you're not riding in the rain, or engaged in steep long descents. I see absolutely no reason to mess with disc brakes. Seems you volunteered these facts for a reason. I'm guessing you thought about this and want disc brakes anyway for some reason that's not baked in logic. Maybe you think they look nice?
Here we go again...
Old 03-06-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColnagoC59 View Post
I would agree with this. And all the above statements. I’m not sure disc brakes are “needed” in SoCal unless you are really doing a lot of steep, technical descents. And even then maybe not. My quality rim brakes never ever leave me wishing for more in dry, paved road scenrios.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:08 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I would agree with this. And all the above statements. I’m not sure disc brakes are “needed” in SoCal unless you are really doing a lot of steep, technical descents. And even then maybe not. My quality rim brakes never ever leave me wishing for more in dry, paved road scenrios.
sure but why are we question why he wants/needs something? carbon bars are not needed yet people have them?!??

also maybe he wants to take up up up to Seattle and ride in some crazier routes? regardless, let the man have what he wants... and he wants hydro braking, none of this half way crap (and I agree with SPP, I think I rather have klampers than hy/rd, and definitely anything over spyres)
Old 03-06-2019, 06:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
I’m sure that is true. But I cannot imagine my needs would require full hydro. Or would they?

Thanks!
Quote:
Lastly, I dont ride in rain and my riding doesn’t include super long steep descents.
If the frame is what you are after(disc) and etap/hydro($$!) is not in the cards, one of these 'hybrid' set ups is a decent solution, IMHO. Think about how much you actually use your brakes..I think the TRP or equivalent is gonna work for you. A $$ for full hydro(any of the 3 makers) doesn't seem 'worth it' to me.
Quote:
Has nothing to do with your needs
I would say it's all about his needs..it's a tradeoff, $ vs how well these things stop you. No absolutes here.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:35 AM

Thank you all for your responses!

My original post said that the frame I am interested in only comes in a flat mount disc version. Not a matter of needing them for any other reason than if I want this frameset, I have to get disc brakes.

No other reason. Thought I’d mitigate the cost by not having to replace my shifters.