Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 06:17 PM

Zonda C17 Spare Spoke Kits?

I'm being dragged into the present with a new pair of wheels. I have a set of Campagnolo Zonda C17 wheels and being the old curmudgeon I am, I want some spare replacement spokes and nipples. I've looked at several spoke kits that have 2 fronts, 2 rear DS and 2 rear NDS but they seem to be for Zondas to 2010 model year. Are those the ones I want for my wheels and/or where's the best place to source them?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2019, 07:48 PM

The local lady wheel builder around here has no trouble getting campy Zonda spokes. Imagine from one of her suppliers. So they are available.

And not nearly as expensive as those C17 kits on E bay.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
The local lady wheel builder around here has no trouble getting campy Zonda spokes. Imagine from one of her suppliers. So they are available.

And not nearly as expensive as those C17 kits on E bay.
You make a good point. I'm looking to have something on hand when traveling (by vehicle) to different places to ride so I can self rescue. Do you know if the older kits listed as up to 2010 are suitable for new Zonda C17 wheels?
Old 03-19-2019, 05:32 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
You make a good point. I'm looking to have something on hand when traveling (by vehicle) to different places to ride so I can self rescue. Do you know if the older kits listed as up to 2010 are suitable for new Zonda C17 wheels?
Are you thinking of carrying spokes with you on a ride? Those wheels are solid and the odds of a broken spoke are so low that it will not be worth carrying a spoke.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
I have some Zonda wheels that were the last edition before C17, like 2014 or so, and I think the spokes are different than the 2010's, so "NO", I don't think the 2010 spokes are the same as yours. But not 100% sure, and maybe fronts are the same. And maybe some of the spokes are the same as the older higher level Campy wheels before they went to the fat aluminum spokes.

I did break a Zonda front spoke on a ride a few months ago.....riding along smoothly....no bumps or anything and just heard a "twang", and front wheel was wobbling. Had a kid run into the front of my bike a few months earlier. I went down and broke my leg. We discovered traces of red paint on the broken spoke....so guess the small kid broke more than my leg....cutest little kid....with a mohawk helmet....on way to school.

My lady wheel builder fixed that with a spoke out of a trashed Fulcrum front wheel she had laying around, Identical spoke to mine, then ordered some Zonda spokes to have on hand, because a lot of guys around here ride Zonda wheels, C15 mostly.

Last edited by Ralph; 03-19-2019 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I'm being dragged into the present with a new pair of wheels. I have a set of Campagnolo Zonda C17 wheels and being the old curmudgeon I am, I want some spare replacement spokes and nipples. I've looked at several spoke kits that have 2 fronts, 2 rear DS and 2 rear NDS but they seem to be for Zondas to 2010 model year. Are those the ones I want for my wheels and/or where's the best place to source them?

Thanks
Have your LBS call either Campagnolo NA or QBP..they both have these spoke kits.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:38 AM

Thanks all!

I wasn't thinking of having spokes with me on the bike in case I break one. I was thinking more along the lines of having them in my tool kit in the truck for when I'm traveling/riding/camping. Given that I've had a tough time finding them now, I was thinking I might avoid this part while on a trip.

I'll go check with the only bike shop around here that's even heard of Campy and see if they can order some
Old 03-19-2019, 08:49 AM

I have a similar story to Ralph regarding my pre-C17 Zondas. About 25 miles into a planned 65 mile solo ride, rural roads, when I hear a twang and the back wheel starts rubbing on the brakes. Fearing I may be stuck, I pull over and find a drive side spoke broken at the hub, but after opening the brake the bike is ridable. So I carefully rode back to my car by the shortest route and made it, no problem. Upon inspection, it looked like something may have damaged the spoke enough to cause weakness where it snapped.

I went on eBay and found the mini spoke kit 500ZOB for about $30, which consists of 2 front, 2 rear drive side and 2 rear NDS, plus nipples. For these wheels, the DS and NDS spokes look to be the same length, but the DS are about 0.7 mm wider. The front are slightly longer and could probably be used on the rear in a pinch if you were to cut off a bit (the threaded section being fairly long).

I have some newer C17 Zondas too, but have never seen the spoke kit for those, hopefully I will not need one. One always hears about how these reduced spoke count wheels with funky lacing will leave you stranded if a spoke breaks, but I was impressed that the G3 laced rear was still ridable after a DS spoke broke. A friend who had a hand-built 32 spoke wheel on the rear has a similar breakage and I wound up riding back to get the car, so one never knows. Installing the new spoke was a cinch and the wheel trued up nicely and has been fine for a number of years.