Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2021, 12:38 PM
#RYFB

Thru axle for Elite Workstand Race

At some point in the near future I will have my first thru axle bike. I just realized that I will need to buy some kind of adapter(s) for my Elite Workstand Race to work on this bike. Have any of you faced and surmounted this problem?

I see this adapter on the Elite site, but it seems it will only work for the wider, rear wheel QR since only that one is threaded.

thanks
Old 05-10-2021, 01:02 PM

Do the QR endcaps just pop out like the picture, or are yours different? Looks like no adapter needed for 12mm axles, although yours could be different than the picture on their website.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:48 PM
#RYFB

That's a different model. Mine looks similar to the one pictured below except the tripod and hinge pieces are black, not orange. The "rear" QR has endcaps that screw out and, including those endcaps, measure 12cm. The "front" QR just inserts into a fixed piece with no threads (10cm wide).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg elite-race-workstand-E0060307.jpeg (33.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 05-10-2021, 03:53 PM
Randomhead

Seems like when I was looking for 15 to 12 adapters, there were 12mm to QR adapters that came in from the outside. Or maybe I'm confusing the original kickr TA adapter kit, which came with plugs and a long QR. I expect you could use that. The skewer is for rear, so too long for your front https://www.wahoofitness.com/kickr-1...u-axle-adapter

I don't see how you are going to put an adapter that uses the TA skewer on that model of stand unless they sell a whole new axle holder
Old 05-10-2021, 04:20 PM

Can you weld, or know anyone who does? You could weld a 100mm x 12mm ID tube in the middle for thru axle, but it it will burn the paint off. You could carefully screw a tube on as well, just counter sink the holes thru the bottom of the carrier so they wont catch on anything above or below. Could also use one of the Fork Up adapters used for roof racks.
Have you contacted elite for their suggestion?
Old 05-10-2021, 04:49 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Can you weld, or know anyone who does? You could weld a 100mm x 12mm ID tube in the middle for thru axle, but it it will burn the paint off. You could carefully screw a tube on as well, just counter sink the holes thru the bottom of the carrier so they wont catch on anything above or below. Could also use one of the Fork Up adapters used for roof racks.
I have no welding experience nor do I know anyone who does, but I'll ask around as it's a good suggestion (I don't care about the paint). Most likely, I think, will be the roof rack adapter, especially since it can double for use on my rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Have you contacted elite for their suggestion?
All the support resources I could find on their site were about their trainers. The current model of my workstand has a TA adapter (pictured in the first response to my OP), but visually it looks like the bar on which it slides has different dimensions than mine. Of course.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:37 PM

I had the same stand and sold it to buy a Park PRS 22.2 when I got a thru axle bike. Maybe not what you want to hear, but it's a nice stand.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:36 PM

Go with the roof rack QR to through bolt adapter. Think I paid $14 for one on Amazon and it works like a charm. I have the same work stand that you do and it’s much cheaper than buying a new stand.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibran View Post
Go with the roof rack QR to through bolt adapter. Think I paid $14 for one on Amazon and it works like a charm. I have the same work stand that you do and it’s much cheaper than buying a new stand.
Do you by chance have a link to the one you purchased? I am also in the same situation as the OP, however all of the QR-to-TA adapters I'm seeing on Amazon are closer to $60...
Old 05-11-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post
Do you by chance have a link to the one you purchased? I am also in the same situation as the OP, however all of the QR-to-TA adapters I'm seeing on Amazon are closer to $60...

Looks I paid $25 not $15. It’s currently not available but here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRGS4VH...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-11-2021, 09:16 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post

Looks like Competitive Cyclist has the Yakima adapter on sale for $30, think I’ll grab one

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/y...u-axle-adapter