Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2021, 07:13 PM

I'd check the headset first.

Second, I'd try some heavier wheels to see if that helped. For example, going from a 1400g to a 1650g wheelset can calm down the steering.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:16 PM

John builds wonderful bikes. I suspect user error. HS set up, or fork offset are most likely the issue.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:21 PM

Not sure if this is related but every steel landshark I have ridden was more flexible than a wet noodle, and not in a good way. Like push laterally on the pedals when the bike is sitting and see the BB flex a few cm type of flex.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Not sure if this is related but every steel landshark I have ridden was more flexible than a wet noodle, and not in a good way. Like push laterally on the pedals when the bike is sitting and see the BB flex a few cm type of flex.
Really?! Every Landshark I have owned rode great, and I have owned more than a handful. I doubt the bike in question is too flexible with its OS tubes.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:18 PM

Landshark

Do you know anything about the geometry and also tubing for this bike?

Yes- John is a good frame builder, but he is also super accommodating. So he will make whatever a customer wants unless it is outright stupid.

I have seen sharks with really high bb's, crit angles, etc.- also bigger bikes made out of some pretty lightweight tubing.

So if the original buyer asked for something weird- you could be the recipient.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:40 PM

Update: Just went on another terrifying ride down Tunnel Rd in Oakland and realized that a more accurate way to describe the problem is that the turning is incredibly slow/unresponsive. I tend to lean into turns and expect the bike to come with me; this one hesitates significantly. Similar to my gravel bike at 25psi. Climbing feels pretty normal.

At the same time, going straight, downhill, into the wind is equally terrifying because the bike doesn't feel very stable at all.

For what it's worth, I know that the previous bike was built for someone who raced on John's team. I'll probably email him to see if he remembers anything about it.

The saddle setback (from BB) is the same as the previous bike - it is just slammed forward because this is a setback post. On a straight post it would be slammed back.

I'm going to take it to Cycle Sport in Oakland to have them give it a look over. I've done 99% of my own maintenance for the last decade but I could be missing something...

Thanks for all of the responses!
Old 04-07-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I love it when people use this as a test to determine the stiffness of a bike.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Bull****
Old 04-07-2021, 09:52 PM

Another vote for something else being wrong.. headset? Crack somewhere? Something in front wheel or hub? I had a steel landshark with a steel fork and it was solid, comfy, planted.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvillain View Post
Another vote for something else being wrong.. headset? Crack somewhere? Something in front wheel or hub? I had a steel landshark with a steel fork and it was solid, comfy, planted.
+1

You sure there wasn’t front end damage?

I’ve had 6 Landsharks and they are some of the most stable bikes I’ve ever ridden.

I still have my 1 favorite/sentimental LS that still hangs out and feels great
Old 04-07-2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
+1

You sure there wasn’t front end damage?

I’ve had 6 Landsharks and they are some of the most stable bikes I’ve ever ridden.

I still have my 1 favorite/sentimental LS that still hangs out and feels great
Not sure since I picked it up on eBay...

Headset feels fine, wheel is good and was the same as on the previous bike. I visually inspected the frame and fork but if a proper frame alignment test and everything else checks out I may put up a WTB for another fork...
Old 04-07-2021, 10:56 PM
Randomhead

I rode a friend's bike that handled like a truck. It was a fairly decent aluminum Giant. It had a replacement fork though, which is what I blamed it on. Never did figure out what was wrong with that bike before it got stolen.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:15 PM

How does it handle when riding up a steep hill out of the saddle? Does it want to flop side-to-side?

dave
Old 04-08-2021, 10:02 AM

Can you ride no hands in this thing??? if you cant then you have a problem with the weight distribution and thats why the bike doesnt like to do what it should do.

Personally just from looking at the frame in the pictures, it looks like the wheelbase is just way too long and that could be part of the problem. Maybe the guy asked for a really soft riding bike (long wheelbase) but with quick handling and the tweak was the FTA being steeper, so who knows.

The other thing, wheels and tires. If you are using 25s and 28s, the bike will handle a lot different with 21 and 23 mm tubulars, specially is inflated properly. If you are running like low tubeless in that bike i would try tubulars and see what happens.

I would start with the no hands test and try to get that part fixed 1st.

Good luck with this one...
Old 04-08-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
How does it handle when riding up a steep hill out of the saddle? Does it want to flop side-to-side?

dave
It feels pretty normal/similar to my previous bike in that respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Can you ride no hands in this thing??? if you cant then you have a problem with the weight distribution and thats why the bike doesnt like to do what it should do.

Personally just from looking at the frame in the pictures, it looks like the wheelbase is just way too long and that could be part of the problem. Maybe the guy asked for a really soft riding bike (long wheelbase) but with quick handling and the tweak was the FTA being steeper, so who knows.

The other thing, wheels and tires. If you are using 25s and 28s, the bike will handle a lot different with 21 and 23 mm tubulars, specially is inflated properly. If you are running like low tubeless in that bike i would try tubulars and see what happens.

I would start with the no hands test and try to get that part fixed 1st.

Good luck with this one...
I can, at least when going reasonably slow, but it doesn't feel very stable.

I run 27-28mm tubeless at 70psi but if tubulars are the solution then I'm just going to get a different bike...