Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
Thinking about buying an '02 LC, my first. I am getting a prepurchase inspection at the dealer, but would appreciate hearing from experienced owners. It has the lockers.

A guy just moved in down the street from me with 2 LCs in the driveway and one in the street, and I haven't met him yet.
Ih8mud should have an actual buyers guide.

I continuously have my eyes open for 100 series, and this is what I personally look for:
  • Rust - these things can rust a surprising amount!
  • Nice, original paint - paint jobs are expensive!
  • Recent maintenance records - EXTENSIVE records are preferred, but an idea of what has been done in the last few years is important at a minimum.
  • Working A/C - A/C work can be expensive,
Those are the big ones for me. Outside of those items, look over the suspension. It's succeptable to wear like any car and could need bushings, tie rods, ball joints, shocks, etc. It would be great to have nice interior (seats), but seatcovers are easy to get. Check that the heater T's have been replaced or do them soon. The '02's have a non-interference motor, but it would be great if the timing belt had been changed somewhat recently (90k interval). The Mark Levinson stereo system can be rebuilt if needed. Each time I buy one, if it isn't documented, I change out ALL fluids: oil, transfer case/diffs, trans, coolant, and brake fluid. I make sure the heater Ts are done. Then I drive and fix up/maintain as needed.

I'm not sure if you've had a 100 series or not yet, but they really are great vehicles. I'm on my third one (a 2007 LX 470 Limited Edition) and can't imagine driving anything else as a daily driver. They're the perfect mix of classic and modern. It would be nice to get better gas mileage, but it is what it is.

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 05-09-2021 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spacing
Old 05-09-2021, 06:20 PM
Rockstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Here's mine>Worst/best offroad was Cardiac Hill trail in Colorado with 15 year old son and camping.
Yes, and what happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post
I would trust my local dealer to change tires, let alone do a good ppi. If you don’t have a private shop option…
I see your point but my experience over a long period, and in particular in BMWs over 20 yrs, has been contrary in that I got good service at the dealer. More immediately, lots of Indy’s are in the deadpool after 2020, and the dealer is 10min away the seller and two hours from me.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, and what happened?

I see your point but my experience over a long period, and in particular in BMWs over 20 yrs, has been contrary in that I got good service at the dealer. More immediately, lots of Indy’s are in the deadpool after 2020, and the dealer is 10min away the seller and two hours from me.
Kelly Flats. We made it. Wheel placement is critical/difficult in a few spots. Most of it is easy and fun. Google Kelly Flats, there are several tricky section like Heart Attack or Cardiac Arrest (I forget), it looks tame on a video but lots of clearance needed when we did it. Some of the videos show a low of dirt, we had nothing but rock. Sliders are nice to have at times....LOL
Old 05-10-2021, 10:22 AM

Lots of spy shots of the 2022 model found here:

https://www.instagram.com/landcruiserupdates/
Old 05-10-2021, 11:15 AM

I'd take my Hundy anyday over my white 200.

The new ones are souless
Old 05-10-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
Lots of spy shots of the 2022 model found here:

https://www.instagram.com/landcruiserupdates/
Lots of uncertainty over whether or not it comes to the US. There will be a next gen Land Cruiser. Whether or not we see it isn’t clear. I certainly wouldn’t want it only available as one of those over styled Lexus models.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Lots of uncertainty over whether or not it comes to the US. There will be a next gen Land Cruiser. Whether or not we see it isn’t clear. I certainly wouldn’t want it only available as one of those over styled Lexus models.
Agreed. I'd pass on the Lexus and get a tricked out 4Runner instead.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:38 AM

I'm keeping my factory turbo diesel 100, not at all interested in the 200 let alone 300.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, and what happened?
Non-Toyota content (maybe someday, not now) but my BMW dealer wanted $800 for parts and install of a $35 part today - a pair of lower control arm bushings into an e46.

I used to worship at the font of BMWness, no more.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
I'm keeping my factory turbo diesel 100, not at all interested in the 200 let alone 300.
Rub it in, why don't you.....
Old 05-11-2021, 08:05 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
Agreed. I'd pass on the Lexus and get a tricked out 4Runner instead.
I have a 2015 LX, because I don't like the 2016-2020 looks, but I disagree with this. Having climbed around underneath both an LX/LC and a 4Runner, for offroad use and 100,000s of kms, I would still pick the LX/LC. The hard parts are just substantially bigger.

Also, LXs are great for what they can do... run to the ski resort, drive on the beach for surfcasting, tow a huge boat, and do it all in comfort with the seat coolers on and the Mark Levinson sound system. And you can't see them from the inside.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I have a 2015 LX, because I don't like the 2016-2020 looks, but I disagree with this. Having climbed around underneath both an LX/LC and a 4Runner, for offroad use and 100,000s of kms, I would still pick the LX/LC. The hard parts are just substantially bigger.

Also, LXs are great for what they can do... run to the ski resort, drive on the beach for surfcasting, tow a huge boat, and do it all in comfort with the seat coolers on and the Mark Levinson sound system. And you can't see them from the inside.
My primary issue with the current LX is the looks - I can't get over the grill among other things. The 2015 is classically attractive and I'd very pleased to own one. But, 2021 LX or 2021 4Runner and I'm going for the latter.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:45 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Usually people are not cross shopping the 4Runner and LX570.

While the 4Runner is excellent (I owned one) the 200 series is the strongest LC ever made. The engineering in it is peerless.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I'd take my Hundy anyday over my white 200.
I like the 100 more as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
the 200 series is the strongest LC ever made. The engineering in it is peerless.
We have several friends that have 200s and they are (IMO) better built than our 100 series, but I just can't get past the bland (again, IMO) styling. They don't stand out from a styling perspective in a way that past LC/LXs have. I struggle to justify the 200 series premium over a nicely optioned XK60 Sequoia (especially in the used market). When I seek to replace my current 100 series, if it isn't with another 100, it will most likely be with a 2nd gen Sequoia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojingoh View Post
I used to worship at the font of BMWness, no more.
Same here. BMW ownership is what drove me to Toyota/Lexus ownership. The continual small issues that were constantly $800 to fix along with ridiculous things like bad fuel pumps and electronic water pumps just became ridiculous. At the time, I didn't understand. However, now looking back at that period of ownership, I realize that BMW was trying to quietly tell us something - buy Japanese. Thanks, BMW! I'm sorry that it took so long for us to get the message!

Texbike
Old 05-11-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Usually people are not cross shopping the 4Runner and LX570.

While the 4Runner is excellent (I owned one) the 200 series is the strongest LC ever made. The engineering in it is peerless.
How many different land cruiser series have you owned. My experience is limited to the 200, 100, and some older ones offroad in Africa that I did not own.

Peerless engineering?

The backup camera and info system was about 10 years behind the times.

The braking system was absolutely annoying and dangerous, often mistakenly thinking there was a panic situation and slamming the brakes on way to hard.

I could go on.

In terms of offroad capability, I doubt it is as good as its predecessors.

The 200 is a very nice, luxury SUV. I probably would have bought the Range Rover if I had to do it again.