Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
Is shimmer/chameleon paint going to look in 2030 like the decal craze from 10 years ago looks now?

Actually, Shimer for the bike industry is catching up with what custom cars and motorcycles were doing 10 years ago.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt92037 View Post
So true.

The prices on higher end carbon frames really makes me appreciate what a custom made frame from a one man shop currently sells for.
The prices for these off-the-rack bikes make custom carbon even more attractive. Good for the craftsmen who make custom frames, and a good opportunity for riders to move up to a frame that fits.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Actually, Shimer for the bike industry is catching up with what custom cars and motorcycles were doing 10 years ago.
10 years ago, hell it was way further back that this cinematic and automotive gem was unleashed upon this world......

Definitely corresponds to the paint job on the bike most reviewers rode:
Old 05-10-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. Does that mean "I wax my chain every 100 miles, but tubeless tires are too much of a hassle" has moved to Friday?
oooh you forgot about downtube shifter thursday
Old 05-10-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
What are custom cars and motorcycles doing now? So I can be 10 years ahead
Old 05-11-2021, 04:02 AM

10 years? more like 30.. a buddy had a harlequin finish on his paramount mtb in the early 90s to match the econobox sports car he had.. I remember a surcharge of $300+ just for paint when a made in USA cannondale MTB with XT was $1200.. everything old is new again and again..
Old 05-12-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
10 years ago, hell it was way further back that this cinematic and automotive gem was unleashed upon this world......
Stumbled upon an old movie (Swordfish, 2001) last night featuring a TVR Tuscan with that paint.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:40 AM

Yup.

Also called chromalusion. A buddy had a Kellogg with that paint a long time ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
10 years? more like 30.. a buddy had a harlequin finish on his paramount mtb in the early 90s to match the econobox sports car he had.. I remember a surcharge of $300+ just for paint when a made in USA cannondale MTB with XT was $1200.. everything old is new again and again..
Old 05-13-2021, 07:12 AM

Didn't some Trek OCLV bikes or a few Kleins get paint like that back in mid to late 90's?

Last edited by charliedid; 05-13-2021 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post

But to say that carbon in the last 20 years and really in the last 10 hasn't gotten better and more durable across the board is hard for me to swallow.

Josh Poertner alluded to this on an episode of Marginal Gains. I think a lot of the gains are probably construction/layup techniques. For metal tubes, manufacturers shape them and butt them in a bunch of ways, and they change the thickness. Carbon bikes are laid up piece by piece of prepreg fabric. I'd guess that there are many more dimensions on which carbon bikes could improve relative to metal ones.

I am not sure that durability has necessarily improved, but that's a guess.

Back to the Aspero 5. I dig the paint. It reminds me of the Kleins that I thought were very pretty when I started cycling. I don't think the Aspero 5 has harlequin paint, but the purple/green fade does remind me of one of those shades. Never saw any harlequin painted bikes in person that I recall, but I know Enve's bringing them back.

Last edited by weiwentg; 05-13-2021 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
As long as consumers keep justifing and financing these things manufactures will keep on hiking the prices up and up.
This is a major driver IMO. You can finance most of these with 0% for 12 months and if you are willing to pay interest much longer.