Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2021, 03:28 PM

I could definitely see those being adopted for races where aero is important - flatter races, perhaps with crosswinds and the like. It's basically aero bars up top, but if you want the stability of a wider bar you hold the drops.

Probably not the bars for a mountain stage in the Tour.

33cm is narrower than I've tried but I know world class track sprinters are using 30-33cm bars. Apparently there's an aero benefit using the narrower bars.

I'm using a 38 cm bar now on my road bike. Same bar on my track bike (which I haven't raced yet). I was riding 40 cm bars.

I think we'll see more bars like this. Very short reach, shallow drop. If you hold the tops you'll be in a virtual aero bar position, by virtue of the tops being a good 8cm further out (you'll need a long stem, like a 20 cm stem if you normally use a 12 cm stem). By having the tops so far out your elbows will clear your legs, hence the "aero" position.

The drops will be the drops. And if it's a fancy carbon bar, it'll allow for a somewhat vertical lever so you can climb out of the saddle normally.

I don't see this shape bar happening in aluminum, unfortunately. Maybe hydro-formed aluminum but I have no idea.
Old 12-25-2021, 01:54 PM

Bump. I "measure" 40cm at the ends of the scapula, and I've been on 38cm 3T Ergonovas (flaring to 40cm at the drops) the last 5 years and they've been fine.

Do I dare try 36cm? I had a similar experience as Mark McM, initially they felt weird climbing out of the saddle, but I've adjusted. I also have a gravel bike now with 40cm bars flaring to 50cm, so any "standard feelings" are now certainly just a figment of my imagination.
Old 12-25-2021, 02:28 PM

The Velobike Bunch bars https://www.velobike.co.nz/blogs/new...design-process are appearing more and more often on the track, I am currently riding with 33cm 3T's for mass start events and sprints.

Old 12-26-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Has anyone seen how people using these bars ride out of the saddle? Either climbing or sprinting?

dave
Very narrow handlebars have been common in track cycling, especially sprinting, for a while.

It definitely feels a little weird at first but the brain adapts quickly and there's no penalty on out-of-the-saddle sprinting.

Old 12-26-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
Very narrow handlebars have been common in track cycling, especially sprinting, for a while.

It definitely feels a little weird at first but the brain adapts quickly and there's no penalty on out-of-the-saddle sprinting.

At 10K per handle bar for the average "Joe" these are not exactly common and you are not going to see too many of those on the track unless you are on the Malaysian National Team or attend a lot of World Cups.

https://www.wx-r.com/shop/tokyo-track-edition-handlebar

Last edited by m_sasso; 12-26-2021 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:48 PM

The picture is just one example; the point is that people can sprint on narrow bars, not that that particular model is common. Scattos and Velo Flyer bars are everywhere from local racing to Olympic podiums.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:03 AM

One need not spend more than $50:
https://www.fouriers-bike.com/en/HAN.../44814663.html

I'm on 32s at the track, 38s on the road. My power data indicates no difference in power production between the two. (actually higher on the track, but that's probably more a factor of the type of efforts than anything else)

Yes, narrow bars feel different than 42cm bars. It's not a big deal.