Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2021, 11:54 AM

Get a Coleman black out tent for a budget option. It’s a bit heavy but cheap and has a tarp bottom for durability and waterproofing. I’d take it anyday over most the backpacking tents mentioned here for long term dwelling.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:59 AM

You can never go wrong with the venerable North Face VE25.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
The people who are organizing or have done these mission trips... I doubt this is their first rodeo, check with them first, they may have recommendations that are more appropriate for the application and situation they may encounter on the trip. Also, your daughter as a user needs to weigh in on this too, in terms of her ability and comfort level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
while i agree there is some good and great advice in this thread, i venture to guess that many of the posters here are at an age and income level where they have wholly traded their sense of adventure for trust in high $$$ kit.

Young people are very resilient and have been dirtbagging around the globe for decades on shoestring budgets, begged and borrowed equipment and broken down gear.

I'm not saying she should go ultra cheap, but dont let anyone here convince you you're a bad dad for sending her off with anything less than 10k dollars worth of Everest base camp expedition gear.
+1 Excellent advice.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
other than it costs $800 and looks like its a sauna
Old 12-07-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
other than it costs $800 and looks like its a sauna
$800 is a lot less than most new bikes, and it doesn't look like any sauna I've ever been in. (Even if it did look like a sauna, who cares?) Bottom line - it's a really good tent.
Old 12-07-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
$800 is a lot less than most new bikes, and it doesn't look like any sauna I've ever been in. (Even if it did look like a sauna, who cares?) Bottom line - it's a really good tent.
An s-works tarmac SL7 is cheaper than a house and more than a hotdog whats your point. The tent looks like its built to withstand some pretty harsh conditions and isnt going to be very comfortable if its warm out.

Last edited by .RJ; 12-07-2021 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
An s-works tarmac SL7 is cheaper than a house and more than a hotdog whats your point. The tent looks like its built to withstand some pretty harsh conditions and isnt going to be very comfortable if its warm out.
I’m sorry, I didn’t realize the OP only wanted suggestions that you agree with.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:20 PM
Administrator

tent aside, i am excited for the OPs daughter to adventure abroad and get involved in some local culture to effect change and help out. sounds like a lot of fun and fulfilling experience.

if she is cool with it, i hope you will share some photos of her travels with us.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I’m sorry, I didn’t realize the OP only wanted suggestions that you agree with.
Its simply a poor suggestion unless he's looking for something that is built to handle harsh weather.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Its simply a poor suggestion unless he's looking for something that is built to handle harsh weather.
Clearly your opinion is more important than my experience using VE24/25 tents for the last 40 years in all weather conditions.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:05 PM

Averaging 100+ nights a year on the trail in a tent, I can assure you that only 1 in 10000 distance hikers carry a hilleberg tent. If you are going to spend that much money on a tent, the zpacks duplex blows away any hilleberg tent in every season!
I would look at nemo tents for lightweight, roominess and durability at a very reasonable price.

And yes, anyone who thinks the VE24/25 is too much of a tent is obviously someone who has never done any extended winter mountaineering or tropical weather exploring.

So for those of you that have responded that actually spend 100+ nights a year in the outdoors(preferably 25-50% high altitude and winter) what do use for your sleep system?
Old 12-07-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbike View Post
Averaging 100+ nights a year on the trail in a tent, I can assure you that only 1 in 10000 distance hikers carry a hilleberg tent. If you are going to spend that much money on a tent, the zpacks duplex blows away any hilleberg tent in every season!
I would look at nemo tents for lightweight, roominess and durability at a very reasonable price.

And yes, anyone who thinks the VE24/25 is too much of a tent is obviously someone who has never done any extended winter mountaineering or tropical weather exploring.

So for those of you that have responded that actually spend 100+ nights a year in the outdoors(preferably 25-50% high altitude and winter) what do use for your sleep system?
Respect the info but Hilleberg is not marketed to long distance trail hikers. Frankly I don’t know why anyone would use them for that,
Old 12-07-2021, 09:20 PM

From what I have seen in campgrounds in the past few years tents are dead. She needs a giant class a RV with a really loud generator so she can sit inside with the air conitioning running and watch TV.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Spent a lot of nights in some pretty nasty conditions in my ve25. Heavy but bulletproof. One particularly memorable event was sitting out a 4 day blizzard on the ridge of mt Denali with 3 friends getting over 10' of snow.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:33 PM

Marketing? I'll bite, what is hilleberg marketed for?
They claim to be lightweight all-season tents!
There are at least 5 makers that make tents that are lighter, more durable and more affordable.

A group of us are doing an 85 mile stretch of the CDT starting Thursday in Idaho and ending in Wyoming...Im guessing there will be no hilleberg tents!

Last edited by tkbike; 12-07-2021 at 09:41 PM.