Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 10:54 PM

that was a fun vid, thanks for posting.

the cool thing about 'murica, at least for now, is anyone can go do anything they want if they set their mind to it.

so....to the naysayers or complainers, go start your on crit series!
Old 12-03-2021, 07:07 AM

Whole thing is just a big dust-up between Gene Dixon, USAC and escapees from some sort of website that wants to "rule" American cycling with "likes", "brand" and a breakaway series

For the record, Gene owns ALL the fencing and timing equipment and USAC has infiltrated the org that consists of all the US based UCI teams that Legion refuses to be a part of. Easy way to put all this to bed and get back to same 'ol, same 'ol

Sad...as there really isn't a lot to fight over, just egos. If they're all in it for the money...wrong sport, College Football coaching seems to be where its at. 10 years $100 million, $70 million buyouts

Last edited by peanutgallery; 12-03-2021 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:30 AM

Watched the whole vid hoping to see the drama of a crit race captured by apparently skilled video production guys, but mostly this was just some guys shouting and the interview clips. I think there was about 2 min max of actual coverage of the racing part, so all pretty much all I know is there was a sprint and Legion won it. Why was this promotion 15 min long, I wonder.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
What seems to be the problem?
From my perspective, it was lame that the promoter entered two stacked teams in their own event.

"Look at these massive prize purses (that we're guaranteeing for ourselves)"

One team would be a little dodgy, but two? GTFO.

As for jersey-gate - my only concern is the impact on sponsorship of other teams. If ITLD takes off, is Mike's Bikes really going to pay for a team when the jersey's say "ITLD - Boston" on them?

That said, the Williams (and Legion) are exciting to watch, whether it be ITLD or other race footage. So, I'll keep watching.

Last edited by Alistair; 12-03-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:55 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Good breakdown of the drama
https://youtu.be/I6shqlkDNpA?t=371

VC with a good review
https://youtu.be/Oz5r8Kf_-48?t=12

Last edited by pasadena; 12-03-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:19 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Like the cat in the Rapha tee shirt said, “It’s not fair. It doesn’t need to be fair.” And, “Yeah, from a purist racing point of view that’s a total **** show.”

Interesting perspective from a pundit.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
As for jersey-gate - my only concern is the impact on sponsorship of other teams. If ITLD takes off, is Mike's Bikes really going to pay for a team when the jersey's say "ITLD - Boston" on them?
Mike's Bikes didn't seem too bothered by it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CW3WagiN..._web_copy_link
Old 12-03-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Mike's Bikes didn't seem too bothered by it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CW3WagiN..._web_copy_link
Huh, interesting, as the space for the title sponsor (Mike's Bikes) is much smaller and the space for the 2nd sponsor (Equator) is non-existent due to name/number on the back and I can't quite make out the front in other photos, but it's a different layout than normal, also with smaller sponsor logos.

I only picked Mike's Bikes because Jeff Linder/NorcalCycling pops up on the YT feed a lot.

Last edited by Alistair; 12-03-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Huh, interesting, as the space for the title sponsor (Mike's Bikes) is much smaller and the space for the 2nd sponsor (Equator) is non-existent due to name/number on the back and I can't quite make out the front in other photos, but it's a different layout than normal, also with smaller sponsor logos.

I only picked Mike's Bikes because Jeff Linder/NorcalCycling pops up on the YT feed a lot.
I think you just stumbled onto your own explanation. If the goal of sponsoring a cycling team raising brand awareness, a popular YouTube channel plus an invite to a big race does a whole lot more than a logo on the jersey.

Despite being called "Golden State" for the race, Mike's bikes still managed to get their name out there.

Same with legion. The team name doesn't say Rapha, Specialized, or zwift, but by virtue of being a team that shows up to the big races, does well, and continually markets themselves, they do more for those brands than a team name alone would do.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:08 PM

Next race will be better.

Onward.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:33 PM

you sound optimistic, are they going to have an actual fist fight or something?

keep yelling and pushing on folks like that...next thing you know Paul Curly is shoving a broomstick in your front wheel and Roberto Gagioli is swinging a 2x4

plus the whole riding backwards thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Next race will be better.

Onward.

Last edited by peanutgallery; 12-03-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
Like the cat in the Rapha tee shirt said, “It’s not fair. It doesn’t need to be fair.” And, “Yeah, from a purist racing point of view that’s a total **** show.”

Interesting perspective from a pundit.
I’m confused as to how this attitude is supposed to open up cycling to more participation.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
Speaking of Athens Twilight, I'm pretty sure I can still lay claim to be the only person who has raced Athens Twilight within 5 years of playing in Sanford Stadium. It ain't much, but I'll take what I can get these days
That's an impressive combination of athletic skills.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Good breakdown of the drama
https://youtu.be/I6shqlkDNpA?t=371

VC with a good review
https://youtu.be/Oz5r8Kf_-48?t=12
Excellent links, thank you!

The race looked like a blast! The speed was amazing, pretty smooth riding, fun to watch.

My question is, what's next? The changes to me appear incremental, but, racers will race.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:07 PM

Don't want to speak for Richard, but I think he is alluding to the actual art of bike racing vs. the WWE version that is being put forth by Legion

The Legion version of bicycle racing is what's long been shilled by promoters that are located near tracks (I'm talking to you, Chip Berezny). Negative and sprinter assertive. I prefer a style of racing that rewards the opportunists, rolling around for 90 minutes so Gibby Hatton (and his belly, too) can sit in and outsprint you at the age of like 98 or whatever gets really old...quickly

Bicycle racing is inclusive in that all the participants that hang around enjoy pain. It's an incredibly hard sport at the sharp end of the grid. I don't think racing is ever supposed to increase participation, it's about the ability to suffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I’m confused as to how this attitude is supposed to open up cycling to more participation.