Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 11-25-2021, 02:58 PM

Anybody done a Cycling Escapes camp? Santa Monica, specifically..

https://www.cyclingescapes.com/bicyc.../biketour.html

I need a bike vacation more than I need any new/additional bike things - and I think the homefront would be more settled knowing I have some sag and extra eyes on me while adventuring in a new area.. this company seems like a good medium ground and reasonable rate for the experience.

Anybody have any history with them?

If I do it, I might try to take on a few extra days to get some other iconic rides in the area done.. (@cgolvin - I'll be ringing you up, among others)
Old 11-26-2021, 01:26 PM
Deconditioned!

I'd love to sneak off for a ride like this.

However, I'd go with no touring company. I'm cheap and the riding down there is well documented. Easy to put 2 to 3 to 4 days of incredible riding together.

Then, on the way down and back, hit a ride in the Bay Area. Ride in Santa Cruz. Ride in Santa Barbara. Ride Malibu.

Stay were you want. Eat where you want.

If I can get wifey to agree, maybe I could sneak off on this trip and sacrifice Sea Otter this year???? I promise to train up and drop the extra 15 covid/beer lbs. No matter, I still go up hill like I'm dragging anchor. I'll meet ya at the top!!!!
Old 11-26-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I'd love to sneak off for a ride like this.

However, I'd go with no touring company. I'm cheap and the riding down there is well documented. Easy to put 2 to 3 to 4 days of incredible riding together.

Then, on the way down and back, hit a ride in the Bay Area. Ride in Santa Cruz. Ride in Santa Barbara. Ride Malibu.

Stay were you want. Eat where you want.

If I can get wifey to agree, maybe I could sneak off on this trip and sacrifice Sea Otter this year???? I promise to train up and drop the extra 15 covid/beer lbs. No matter, I still go up hill like I'm dragging anchor. I'll meet ya at the top!!!!

If it were a bro’s trip, I wouldn’t need the support but I like the insurance policy of knowing if I crash or have an awful mechanical there’s a sag wagon and someone to take care of things.. helps Ms. Clean feel better too. And I’d just be staying at an AirBnB or suites hotel w a kitchen - I’d rather have a fridge and hotplate than luxury accommodations for a training camp. I’m thinking the Santa Monica one in Feb and Sierras later in the spring.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:23 PM

That looks like fun! I've ridden motorcycles on most of those roads, cycling would be a blast. Try it out and let us know what you think.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:55 PM
#RYFB

I don't have any experience with the vendor. Looking at the routes it reminds me of my epiphany the second year of Phil's fondo: "I can (and do) ride all this stuff on my own and make better route choices, I'm paying an insubstantial amount for a few nutrition/hydration stops, a small bit of swag, a decent meal, and the security of having Velofix on call. Not worth it."

We all have our own calculus for "worth it," though, and I definitely understand the security blanket aspect, especially to provide peace of mind to your SO. FWIW, there aren't that many points that are a long way from cellular coverage.

Their routes look decent, though of course I would make other (read: better) choices.

Sending you & @lavi a PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:39 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I don't have any experience with the vendor. Looking at the routes it reminds me of my epiphany the second year of Phil's fondo: "I can (and do) ride all this stuff on my own and make better route choices, I'm paying an insubstantial amount for a few nutrition/hydration stops, a small bit of swag, a decent meal, and the security of having Velofix on call. Not worth it."

We all have our own calculus for "worth it," though, and I definitely understand the security blanket aspect, especially to provide peace of mind to your SO. FWIW, there aren't that many points that are a long way from cellular coverage.

Their routes look decent, though of course I would make other (read: better) choices.

Sending you & @lavi a PM.
I'm just saying, we could put together a PL early spring ride session.

Concur with the thoughts. Even thought the ride route can be lengthy, you're never really in any super remote areas. And, ride wheels with lots of spokes.
Aside from the slight risk of blowing a spoke (which is incredibly rare), there's not much to worry about. No Mavic R-Sys allowed!

If the route is too tough, I'll just drive sag. You buy me beers back at whatever yurt we find ourselves in.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
ILooking at the routes it reminds me of my epiphany the second year of Phil's fondo: "I can (and do) ride all this stuff on my own and make better route choices, I'm paying an insubstantial amount for a few nutrition/hydration stops, a small bit of swag, a decent meal, and the security of having Velofix on call. Not worth it."
Yeah, that's why I never rode any of the Gran Fondos near Solvang when I lived there...

Not in the cards this winter, but if it happens next winter, let me know!
Old 12-01-2021, 02:03 AM

Tagged. I am interested in this as well.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:16 PM

Update: registered and paid - AirBnB in Agoura Hills booked - really looking forward to this and hoping the pandemic stays somewhat stable so I can actually do it..

Would love to have some other Paceliners in the mix!
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Would love to have some other Paceliners in the mix!
I’ll plan to tag along one day and kibbitz about the route choices
Old Today, 07:42 AM
Administrator

which set of dates are you going with?

i'd personally never go in for a guided tour in the US. outside of the US where i might not know the language or the local culture a guided service would potentially appeal to me, but i'm more of a figure it out myself type most of the time.

i'm starting to book travel again for '22 and looking forward to tagging on a few days of r&r someplace warmish. back to the SM mountains is definitely in the plan.

Enjoy the trip and let us know how it goes!