Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2021, 10:16 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Unfortunately, the Assioma Duo-Shi's 65mm q-factor is way too much. Otherwise, yeah I would definitely be trying them.
q-factor is one of those things that some people seem to care about and not others. If you ride both road and mountain bikes, there is often a HUGE difference in q-factor, but you don't hear people complain about it.

Some have called q-factor a red herring.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:17 AM

For what it’s worth, I’ve been running Garmin vectors as my main PM platform on my bikes for the past 5 years. Readings have been stable, very few if any drops. Original set (v1s that I updated to v2) had 20k+ of my miles on them, and I bought them used from a buddy. Those are out of commission now but have 3 other sets in rotation (one pair of dual sided and two pair of single sided)
Have scraped pedal in races, they hold up fine and bearings are surprisingly robust.
Occasionally I’ll dual record when I’m using them on my kickr and the power values are surprisingly similar, certainly accurate enough for my use.

Last edited by slambers3; 10-13-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:15 AM

Has anyone used the SRM spd pedals? Thoughts?
Old 10-13-2021, 01:06 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Has anyone used the SRM spd pedals? Thoughts?
I have the SRM MTB pedals. Love 'em.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:11 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
...I just have a perennial fear of smacking my knuckles on the ground when removing pedals. It's my least favourite part on a bike to remove.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I've always flipped my bike upside down before swapping pedals, and I've never hit my knuckles on the ground.
I rotate the crankarm to the forward position for either pedal and use a hex key from the inside. I think I've caught my knuckles on the chainring once. I have never caught my knuckles on the ground.

I never quite understand the "flip the bike over" thing. I will do this on a rug inside every now and then, but I never do it outside. I do not want the contact points marred.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Plus one and same experience with the Assioma pedals. I highly recommend these.
Another +1 for Assioma. Great product. I recommend you take a look at D.C. Rainmaker for his review of pwr meters.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:15 PM

Vector 3s here.

I’m a long time Speedplay user, but switched for to Vectors because I wanted a pedal-based PM. I am actually thinking about going back to a Quarq crank-based PM when I put a new AXS gruppo on my frame this off season. I use one on my gravel bike now and it works very nicely. And the price is very right at well under $500! I really want to go back to Speedplay pedals, and I’m not holding out much hope for a Speedplay PM. The Quarg doesn’t offer Garmin’s pedal dynamics, but that functionality has proven pretty worthless.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:24 PM
Meh

Given how often I smash my pedals into rocks and roots and things riding off-road, I'm not sure how I feel about the Garmin and SRM versions of these for SPD pedals. Anyone have experience there?
Old 10-14-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I’m a long time Speedplay user, but switched for to Vectors because I wanted a pedal-based PM. I am actually thinking about going back to a Quarq crank-based PM when I put a new AXS gruppo on my frame this off season. I use one on my gravel bike now and it works very nicely. And the price is very right at well under $500! I really want to go back to Speedplay pedals, and I’m not holding out much hope for a Speedplay PM. The Quarg doesn’t offer Garmin’s pedal dynamics, but that functionality has proven pretty worthless.
Wahoo / Speedplay said they were coming out with one this Summer, but it's been delayed. I'd buy a pair. Anyone know when they're expected now?