Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2021, 03:40 PM

Pedal Power Meters

Hi all, I am looking for a power meter and trying to decide between crunk, or pedals; I am leaning towards pedals:and researching Favero Assioma Doup or Look.

Any input on either of these options?

As background, I ride around 11-13 hours a week, and don't race.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2021, 04:18 PM

I recently got a pair of Assioma Duo-Shi pedals, and have been quite happy with them. They haven't given me any weird spikes the way crank arm power meters have (stages, 4iiii), and seem to be pretty consistent with the power my Quarqs read.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I recently got a pair of Assioma Duo-Shi pedals, and have been quite happy with them. They haven't given me any weird spikes the way crank arm power meters have (stages, 4iiii), and seem to be pretty consistent with the power my Quarqs read.
Plus one and same experience with the Assioma pedals. I highly recommend these.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:55 PM
PegoNagos

As a guy that has 5 SRM cranksets, I just got some SRM pedals and some Assiomo pedals this year - I can't imagine buying SRM cranks again.

The pedals work great!
Old 10-11-2021, 05:00 PM

Assiomas are great. Just keep an eye on servicing/replacing bearings (an easy job), they have a limited life and tend to chew up the inside of the pedal body when they fail.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:05 PM

My Assioma Duo pedals have been perfect. No complaints and would highly recommend.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:18 PM

Converted from crank-based power to Vector 3 (dual sided) and the MTB Rally dual sided. Was holding out for Speedplay/Wahoo and got tired of waiting. Still prefer the feel of Speedplay plus dual sided entry but do not miss crank-based power one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2021, 05:56 PM

I haven't gone to pedal based (yet) but the one thing that holds me back is I seem to wear out pedals - the bodies might last me 18 months and most recently (and suprisingly) I chewed out a set of Dura Ace bearings... which I've never had fail before the body got too worn out.

I spend a bit of time on the bike so YMMV literally!

A lot of people call out pedals as being a great portable solution for people that want to switch between bikes. I kind of agree with this if you have bikes with different bottom bracket standards, but if you have the same bottom bracket across bikes... I don't know about you, but I'd much rather swap a crank than deal with removing pedals.

What is really cool about pedals, and why I have some interest still, is you get to show off your expensive Campy / Shimano crank and rings as they were intended.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
I haven't gone to pedal based (yet) but the one thing that holds me back is I seem to wear out pedals - the bodies might last me 18 months and most recently (and suprisingly) I chewed out a set of Dura Ace bearings... which I've never had fail before the body got too worn out.

I spend a bit of time on the bike so YMMV literally!
Favero sells replacement pedal bodies and bearings, so you don't need a whole new sensor just because some parts wear out.

https://cycling.favero.com/shop
Old 10-11-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Favero sells replacement pedal bodies and bearings, so you don't need a whole new sensor just because some parts wear out.

https://cycling.favero.com/shop
Understand that, it's just... where will Favero or Garmin be in 2-3-4-5-7-10 years.

Both from an extistential "where will the company be" but also where will they be from a product focus perspective, will they be supporting this product still, etc etc etc.

I've got several PM's still in service with over 5 years (of harsh conditions use) on them and I'd really expect them to keep going for that again.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:54 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I'd much rather swap a crank than deal with removing pedals.
This surprised me. I switch between Campy and Speedplay pedals and sometimes do so on a whim before riding, in which case it takes about 2 minutes to change the pedals (granted, that only means one removal since the unused pedals aren't mounted). A crank swap would take me meaningfully longer.

Back on topic, consider me Favero-curious. If I ever decided to get a PM that would be my choice (I realize that is of zero use to the OP, sorry).
Old 10-11-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
This surprised me. I switch between Campy and Speedplay pedals and sometimes do so on a whim before riding, in which case it takes about 2 minutes to change the pedals (granted, that only means one removal since the unused pedals aren't mounted). A crank swap would take me meaningfully longer.

Back on topic, consider me Favero-curious. If I ever decided to get a PM that would be my choice (I realize that is of zero use to the OP, sorry).
If you've got an ultratorque crank (with bearings on the spindle) then perhaps I can see a preference for switching pedals instead of crank, but for Shimano Hollowtech I'd feel more than comfortable racing you in a pedal removal / install competition!

That said, it's not really a speed thing for me, I just have a perennial fear of smacking my knuckles on the ground when removing pedals. It's my least favourite part on a bike to remove.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
That said, it's not really a speed thing for me, I just have a perennial fear of smacking my knuckles on the ground when removing pedals. It's my least favourite part on a bike to remove.
I've always flipped my bike upside down before swapping pedals, and I've never hit my knuckles on the ground.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:28 PM

OK, I'll chime in........Original PM I had is six years old, a Power2Max. It is still in service on my trainer bike. Has worked flawlessly, but not BB compatible with TT bike, so I got a pair of PowerTap P2's. These have been in service four years, but right side crapped out and only have left side, but no big deal. I will say that I don't like their engagement, they are currently on loan to a friend. I'm through my second season with a pair of Favero, which have been excellent both in PM performance and feel. Also lighter than the PowerTap. I just ordered a second set of Faveros for my wife for her to start training with power. Knowing there are replacement parts and serviceable I don't know why anyone wouldn't choose them over the others.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:34 AM

Unfortunately, the Assioma Duo-Shi's 65mm q-factor is way too much. Otherwise, yeah I would definitely be trying them.

I've owned a power2max and loved it, but at the time I wasn't able to add Shimano's chainrings since they went from five to four bolt. I've had multiple powertap hubs and all have been reliable, but its annoying you're stuck with whatever rim you've built it on and sending it back for servicing the bearings. Pedals seem to way easier to me. Just waiting for Garmin to get around to the RS200 v2 (wishful thinking I know)

Last edited by deechee; 10-13-2021 at 09:39 AM.