Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2021, 03:46 PM

Somewhat OT for PL: Bontrager alternative MTB tires

For purely cosmetic and unjustified reasons, I’d like to run gumwall/tanwall tires on my mountain bike. I’ve had good experience with 29x2.4 Bontrager XR 4 and 3 team issue front and rear, respectively. Anyone have a tan sidewall recommendation for a similarly fast/smooth/capable combo? I’ve got a set of Maxxis Forecaster 29x2.35 but those only measure 2.2” on 30mm inner width rims. Would ideally be closer to 2.35-2.4” like the Bontragers are. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Seth
Old 08-08-2021, 03:56 PM

Teravail gumwalls are pretty nice if you aren't in an overly rocky area - the tan only comes in a light and supple version, but the ride is really smooth. Something like Honcho/Ehline in 2.6/2.5 might match your Xr4/xr3. I've been riding Ehline f/r on a hardtail just for the minimal rolling resistance and though they haven't let me down yet in terms of sidewall cuts I'm always nervous about stuffing the bike into a rock garden. The new Spesh Soil Searching tires are pretty nice too. Eli Bingham just posted a review thread on them. Other brands also have tan or gumwalls, including the Maxxis you mentioned. If you were trying to match XR4/Xr3 I might go something like Dissector/Rekon.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:30 AM

+1 for Honcho and Ehline’s. I’m in So Cal and ride nothing too rocky. Got a few hundred miles on them my Esker Hayduke run as an SS and quite happy.