Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2020, 03:53 PM

OT: For the Golfers: Is this Guy's Physique Conducive to Excelling in the Sport?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/s...au-weight.html

He evidently is the equivalent of Aaron Judge (or the Arnold Schwarzenegger in the golf world. As a personal trainer, I'm always intrigued by how physique affects performance. I know that (similar to swinging a bat), a lot of the power is generated by the hip flexors and deep core muscles.

Does anyone who golfs regularly know about this guy? Any thoughts on how his desire to really bulk up can improve his game or perhaps set a new standard?
Old 06-27-2020, 04:15 PM

Do not know much about golf because i barely played, actually I SUCK!

But remember seeing something about this guys, he pretty much bulked up just to put more power in his hits. If you ask me, probably u dont care anyways :P his logic is sound, how do you put more momentum to the drive??? that's pretty much it... there's technique involved but at some point somebody was going to do the experiment of bulking up to put more power to the shot.

Think the guy is a genius by trying something new.

In cycling do the same doesnt work that well tho unless we are talking a 1km tracker guy or a sprinter.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:20 PM

I think a John Daly figure is conducive to long drives. That guy can swat 'em!
Old 06-27-2020, 04:29 PM

You might want to ask your question on a golf forum.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:36 PM

as long as he has good touch.. why not. I used to bomb 350+ in my hay day...had a good short game but that occasional OB can really kill your score.

went down to a 2.. current 5. but only because I have not been playing. Actually probably 15+ now.

Generally bulking up is probably not good for your golf game... it does not necessarily make you swing faster though the zone. Try going after a few balls on a launch monitor vs being smooth. I know I lose ball speed if I force it.

Last edited by Spdntrxi; 06-27-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
You might want to ask your question on a golf forum.
Thanks for the feedback. I got some very good answers recently on a golf forum when I asked about the ideal tire clearance for gravel bikes. I was kinda hoping that lightening would strike twice...
Old 06-27-2020, 04:40 PM

what's that old saying...?

drive for show, putt for dough...

just 'cause you can crush it from the teebox doesn't mean you can get it on the green and in the hole.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:49 PM

he was already a good golfer before he "bulked" up.. like Tiger Woods.. like Rory who also gained muscle. I think if you where already not basically a serious high + no handicap (pro) golfer .. it would not be good.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:49 PM

I have never played golf in my life, have no idea, but it seems that as that guy is only 26 now and golf seems like a long-term sport even at top-most levels, what will the cumulative effect of all that mass and weight (260# + ???) be when he is 30, 36, 40, 46....? It looks counter-intuitive, long-term, my eye.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:55 PM

For those not in the know, Bryson D. takes a VERY scientific approach (Physics major at SMU) to the game. From his copious amounts of study he determined that same length irons enabled him to make the same swing each time, for example.

In any event, it was his desire to change the first thing in mass x acceleration = force, which of course translates into distance. So he bulked up 40 (?) pounds under the supervision of a trainer, testing each component of his game along the way to gauge its impact.

The results are seriously frightening and will certainly impact weight training/fitness at every level of the sport.

I admire his out-of-the-box approach but I can't stand to watch him as he applies his scientific method to each shot and takes forever to play.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:59 PM

this: "Bryson Geez I'm Slow" truly painful to watch...
Old 06-27-2020, 05:01 PM

golf really does need 24s shot clocks.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminJohn View Post
For those not in the know, Bryson D. takes a VERY scientific approach (Physics major at SMU) to the game. From his copious amounts of study he determined that same length irons enabled him to make the same swing each time, for example.

In any event, it was his desire to change the first thing in mass x acceleration = force, which of course translates into distance. So he bulked up 40 (?) pounds under the supervision of a trainer, testing each component of his game along the way to gauge its impact.

The results are seriously frightening and will certainly impact weight training/fitness at every level of the sport.

I admire his out-of-the-box approach but I can't stand to watch him as he applies his scientific method to each shot and takes forever to play.
Mass would be the clubhead, not his body. His added strength increases clubhead speed resulting in more acceleration.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:36 PM

He has said many times that the extra distance is more a result of the speedwork he has done over the last couple years, than the heavy lifting.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I got some very good answers recently on a golf forum when I asked about the ideal tire clearance for gravel bikes. I was kinda hoping that lightening would strike twice...

It did say OT in the header.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk