Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2019, 12:52 PM

Broken Chain Tensioner Bolt

I have a broken chain tensioner bolt in one of my all-city nature boy dropouts (it's a singlespeed cross bike). There's about 2mm exposed on both sides of the hole. How can I get the rest of the bolt out? I believe it's a standard M4 bolt.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:08 PM

If it's a through hole, that means that it could come out either side? If so, there's probably lots of ways to get it out.

As there's some of the bolt sticking out, but not enough to easily grab with pliers/vice-grips, ten cut a slot into the end of the bolt and then unscrew with a bladed screw driver.

If none of the bolt is sticking out, then you can drill a small hole into the end of the bolt, and then unscrew it with an Easy Out screw extractor:

(Heck, the act of drilling the end of the screw might actually turn the bolt out far enough to grab it with pliers.)
Old 08-22-2019, 01:11 PM

Re: post above, the hole does go through.

I've had the same issue. If there is 2mm out on either side, that's probably enough to grab it with pliers and start turning. Couldn't hurt to spray in some WD or something in case things are seized up. Then make sure to apply grease before you put a new bolt in.

Last edited by jtbadge; 08-22-2019 at 01:13 PM.