Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 08:37 AM

Ebay / Paypal resolution

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I wanted to tap the collective wisdom and experience of the forum for this one. I bought a frameset on ebay and it arrived a few days ago. Advertised as a 55cm, but it is actually a 57cm as indicated on the manufacturers website. So I initiated a return via ebay and waiting for a reply from the seller. Should I wait for this to take its course or should I go to Paypal and start a resolution there? I feel like it might be better to do it via Paypal as that's where the $$ is??

I'm stressed a bit as it was a big purchase....Thanks!
Old 08-21-2019, 08:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaliu View Post
Hi All,

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I wanted to tap the collective wisdom and experience of the forum for this one. I bought a frameset on ebay and it arrived a few days ago. Advertised as a 55cm, but it is actually a 57cm as indicated on the manufacturers website. So I initiated a return via ebay and waiting for a reply from the seller. Should I wait for this to take its course or should I go to Paypal and start a resolution there? I feel like it might be better to do it via Paypal as that's where the $$ is??

I'd say go that route first..then via ebay/PP is the seller is being a jerk about it.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:03 AM

I'd go PP rez if you don't hear back REAL soon. If you put it on a card, say, American Express, you could contact them and they'll immediately deduct the amount, pending the outcome of the investigation. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaliu View Post
Hi All,

eBay's return policy is straightforward for the buyer. Be patient. Once your frame is delivered back to the seller, and confirmed by tracking, the seller should issue a refund. IF he doesn't at that point, you might want to contact PayPal, but I would expect the refund to be issued quickly once received by the seller (unless of course he/she is not an honest seller).
Old 08-21-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
eBay's return policy is straightforward for the buyer. Be patient. Once your frame is delivered back to the seller, and confirmed by tracking, the seller should issue a refund. IF he doesn't at that point, you might want to contact PayPal, but I would expect the refund to be issued quickly once received by the seller (unless of course he/she is not an honest seller).
+1

I wouldn’t open 2 different return actions unless one was failing miserably. Just be patient.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:12 AM

Im not 100% sure but i remember reading something like:

You can go to ebay first if they do not side with you in the ebay dispute you can always go to your credit card company and then they will deal with paypal to collect your refund. If you however go to paypal first then ebay can not help you as i believe they will not overrule a pp ruling. This is only what i thought i understood a couple of months ago but i was never in a situation to find out..

Also there could be a difference in what route you choose if you paid with cash in your paypal account vs credit card via paypal.

I think at this point just waiting a little will be the best choice. You will surely get your money back.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:42 AM
Barely Hanging On

Based on the information provided, eBay will side with you as the buyer; they almost always do. The process takes a little bit of time.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:49 AM

Can you link the auction?

Maybe things aren't as clear as all the people with the pitchforks claim?

What did you use as the reason for the return? This is important. If you said the "item is not as described" you should be good without getting a whole bunch of organizations involved. I believe Paypal does not even allow you to open up a dispute on an eBay item but instead requires you to work with eBay. eBay is good to the buyer and you should be made whole without much drama.

Last edited by Pegoready; 08-21-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:16 AM

Always go ebay route first. As long as you document clear evidence that the item isn't as described then you should be good to go.

Be patient, usually takes a couple days for a response.

Also, resolutions on PP are a mixed bag especially for bigger/bulkier items since YOU, THE BUYER have to pay for return shipping if they side with you on the resolution. So for a large item like a bike, you'll be out the big shipping costs from the refund. EBAY always provides either the shipping label or compensates you for the actual shipping amount you have to pay.

I found out the above the hard way when a member on PL unknowingly sold me fake Enve bars then said "If they were used, I’ll take them back and offer a 50% refund." Escalated on paypal since he refused to refund full amount, then was out $20 in return shipping. Not great.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Can you link the auction?

Maybe things aren't as clear as all the people with the pitchforks claim?

What did you use as the reason for the return? This is important. If you said the "item is not as described" you should be good without getting a whole bunch of organizations involved. I believe Paypal does not even allow you to open up a dispute on an eBay item but instead requires you to work with eBay. eBay is good to the buyer and you should be made whole without much drama.
Agreed.

I'll share my recent eBay clustrfk once the money is back in my account.....
Old 08-21-2019, 11:38 AM

If the facts are on your side then this is a simple return, no need for a dispute.

Worst thing that could happen is that you get stuck with paying the return shipping cost. Even if the auction states “no returns” there’s practically always a way around that for the buyer.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:50 AM

Paypal has a policy where they pay for return shipping

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns
Old 08-21-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
Paypal has a policy where they pay for return shipping

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns
Seems like this wouldn't apply for a decent amount of situations due to this stipulation in the fine print:
Quote:
You may use the Return Shipping on Us Service to obtain reimbursement of return shipping costs for items purchased online, if the following conditions are met:

You must activate the Service before you attempt to submit a refund request, by clicking the “Agree & Activate Now” button on the Return Shipping on Us service website and logging in to your PayPal account.
You must hold a U.S. PayPal account that is not suspended or limited;
You must pay for your online purchase entirely using your PayPal account;
You must meet the return conditions authorized by the seller or merchant; and
You must submit a complete refund request of the return shipping costs (the "refund request”) related to that return within 30 calendar days of mailing back the returned item.
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/returns/terms

However the OP should be fine since ebay is a store that uses this policy. If all else fails with the return request paypal should do him right.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Here is the listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bianchi-Spe...-/123872733816

Here is my return request via ebay:

So, I receive the frameset and there is an issue. The frameset is a 57cm and not a 55cm as you posted in your information. I can tell from the headtube measurement which is 160mm (see attached pic). It should be 145mm for the 55cm as noted in the geometry sheet from Bianchi:

https://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/roa...sima-frameset/

Based on this, unfortunately, I would like a return.

Let me know how you want to proceed.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:23 PM

Just curious, besides the 160mm HT, do the other measurements indicate that it's a 57cm?