Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2019, 06:01 AM

Installing a mechanical group onto electronic frame FINAL RESULT

Recently acquired a Canyon Ultimate CF SL frameset that is designed to take a wired electronic group such as Di2/EPS, but it seems entirely possible to, instead, install a mechanical group (Ultegra 8000/DA 9100) if you run full length derailleur cable housing through the holes/tubing. Anyone ever try this? Thoughts? -Jeff N.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 08-26-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:10 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
Recently acquired a Canyon Ultimate CF SL frameset that is designed to take a wired electronic group such as Di2/EPS, but it seems entirely possible to, instead, install a mechanical group (Ultegra 8000/DA 9100) if you run full length derailleur cable housing through the holes/tubing. Anyone ever try this? Thoughts? -Jeff N.
Will work for RD with a full length housing. But a full length housing will not work for the FD unless you can secure the housing so that you can run the FD cable exposed to the FD to allow for the travel of the FD.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Will work for RD with a full length housing. But a full length housing will not work for the FD unless you can secure the housing so that you can run the FD cable exposed to the FD to allow for the travel of the FD.
Both DA 9100 and Ultegra 8000 FD's have "stops" for housing. That is what makes me believe it is possible.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 08-11-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:20 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Both DA 9100 and Ultegra 8000 FD's have "stops" for housing. That is what makes me believe it is possible.
Well then if you can physically run the housing you should be good to go.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:22 AM
aka RAEKWON

will full housing fit through the small holes that are made for tiny thin e cables?
also with mech, there is 2 points that hold the cable, if you just have 1 place, at the derailleur, maybe the shifting is worst.

also, I know you like mech shifting but give e shifting a try, its pretty awesome.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
will full housing fit through the small holes that are made for tiny thin e cables?
also with mech, there is 2 points that hold the cable, if you just have 1 place, at the derailleur, maybe the shifting is worst.

also, I know you like mech shifting but give e shifting a try, its pretty awesome.
Holes are big enough for Der. housing, yes.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:11 AM

Front der. cable bend ok?
Old 08-11-2019, 08:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
As has been mentioned, use full length der housing and be sure to use the slickest cables/housing you can find..lotsa drag in that length of housing as compared to stuff 'stopped' on frame downtube/headtube.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:38 AM

i agree, if the frame is electronic only, i would use electronic. i'm a mechanical guy, but im sure deals are to be had on some used ultegra di2 stuff.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:21 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
i agree, if the frame is electronic only, i would use electronic. i'm a mechanical guy, but im sure deals are to be had on some used ultegra di2 stuff.
This

I'm pretty sure that there's 1 hole in the frame for an electronic cable and you won't be able to get both the derailleur housings thru it.

...but feel free to try and get back to us

M
Old 08-11-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
This

I'm pretty sure that there's 1 hole in the frame for an electronic cable and you won't be able to get both the derailleur housings thru it.

...but feel free to try and get back to us

M
I'm going to go to an LBS later and buy about 6 feet of derailleur cable housing and get back here with the results/pics.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Front der. cable bend ok?
We shall see. My main thing was to see if anyone here has ever attempted this. Apparently not...until now.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I'm going to go to an LBS later and buy about 6 feet of derailleur cable housing and get back here with the results/pics.
Also depends on what “full length housing” you’re speaking of.
Jag wire has a system that fully sealed that has both the 4mm solid black outer housing, but also uses a thin transparent housing through that specially made for insertion into the outer housing that provides the sealing, and a non-standard highly polished shifting cable inside the transparent sealing housing.

It’s more expensive but worked pretty well the last time I had mechanical shifting.

See install video here:
https://youtu.be/G8hAhTDwMRc

Don’t see why you could simply use just the transparent housing all the way if the holes are too small for the standard 4mm housing.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post

I'll use batteries for starting my car, operate my cell phone, light my flashlight and change the channels on my TV...but NOT shift the gears on my bike. For whatever reasons, I cannot accept that. If I can't make this Canyon work with my plan, it'll be for sale soon....probably here.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Dibs if its a Small!