Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2019, 08:20 AM

Reynolds Carbon Wheels Problem

Before Performance Bike went under, I bought a pair of Reynolds Carbon Wheels that were made for Performance. They constantly go flat and I can't remove the tire from the wheel. I took the rear wheel to two shops when I couldn't change the tube. The first shop couldn't get the tire back on and told me to keep the wheel with half the tire dangling on it in the sun to soften the rubber. The second shop was able to get the tire on.

Then, the front tire went flat from a slow leak that suddenly burst this morning causing me to earn road rash on my arm and leg. Since I can't remove the tire I'm going to use my old aluminum wheels in case I get a flat during this weekend's ride.

I was wondering if any one else has similar or other problems with these or other carbon wheels. I don't know if I'll buy another pair of carbon wheels.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:27 AM
Administrator

this question, or one very similar come up at least once every few months.

are these tubeless ready wheels?

the fact is that considering manufacturing tolerances, some tire/rim combinations are just a tight fit. they are well documented here, but there are some proven techniques to mount a tire to a rim with a tight fit. they always work. i have a LOT of wheels, and i have never encountered a wheel that i could not mount/dismount a tire using best practice techniques.

this is not a carbon wheel issue.

also, shops do not possess any magic or special tools with regard to mounting wheels/tires. they are only as good as the mechanic's experience and expertise. so if the shops you went to had mechanics who are not familiar with best practice techniques, they have no better chance to get the tires done than you did in your garage.

which tires are you using?
Old 08-06-2019, 09:00 AM

second what Angry said. it's likely a tubeless-compatible rim thing, and that can make installation better or worse depending upon which tires you're using.

I've owned non-tubeless compatible Reynolds and had no issues like you're describing here. I've also owned other tubeless-compatible aluminum rims and had difficulties. but as mentioned, a lot of it comes down to the tire combo and the method you're using to install the tube/tire. it's absolutely worth practicing a few times at home, so you're not caught on a ride and can't repair a flat. also, tires soften with age and use, so they're most difficult to get on when brand new.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie7 View Post
Before Performance Bike went under, I bought a pair of Reynolds Carbon Wheels that were made for Performance. They constantly go flat and I can't remove the tire from the wheel. I took the rear wheel to two shops when I couldn't change the tube. The first shop couldn't get the tire back on and told me to keep the wheel with half the tire dangling on it in the sun to soften the rubber. The second shop was able to get the tire on.

Then, the front tire went flat from a slow leak that suddenly burst this morning causing me to earn road rash on my arm and leg. Since I can't remove the tire I'm going to use my old aluminum wheels in case I get a flat during this weekend's ride.

I was wondering if any one else has similar or other problems with these or other carbon wheels. I don't know if I'll buy another pair of carbon wheels.

Thanks.
A lot of unknown information here, and a LOT of speculation since there's no concrete facts other than -
-You have Carbon Wheels purchased from Performance
-You've had a couple flats
-It's very tough mounting and dismounting the tire on this wheel

Some info from you which would help A LOT in providing useful opinions and techniques include:
-Exact model of wheel
-Exact model of tire
-Other aluminum rim which you didn't have a problem mounting on
-Method that you mount tires (ie by hand, one lever, two levers, pre-stretch, etc)

Since you purchased it from Performance Bike I'm assuming your model is the R Three / R Four/R Six model. While these were older-style Reynolds Attack, Assault and Strike rim from ~2014 that weren't tubeless ready, didn't have the SLG shape and had very slim internal/external measurements; 15mm inner and 21mm outer.
https://www.performancebike.com/reyn...on-non/p928965
https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...-700c-wheelset
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...light=reynolds

Basically they used old rims lying around in the warehouse, paired them to cheap hubs, and priced them cheap with a good warranty to move product.

Having owned five sets of Reynolds carbon rims I've never had any trouble mounting the following tires by hand:
-Conti GP4000 23/25/28mm
-Vittoria Corsa G 25/28mm
-Specialized Turbo Cotton 26mm
-Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless 28mm

But I did have trouble with Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless in 25mm. Had to stretch the bead out a bit and use baby powder to slide it over the wall.

One thing to note - on carbon rims they're usually so stiff that tire choice is key in mounting ease. Since the rims can't flex as much as alloy you can't get that extra key couple mm of inner movement when you're pushing down/in on the rim to push that last part of the bead over the rim sidewall. Baby powder helps.

The constantly going flat seems to be indicative of the mounting woes, since there's a greater chance of tube damage when it's tough to mount tires - way more fiddling with levers that could scratch/tear/weaken the walls of the tube.