Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2019, 12:57 AM

SRAM compatibility for 10spd APEX

I am looking to build a cheap frame with cheap parts. There is a set of 10speed SRAM Apex shifters for sale locally and I am wondering what RD is compatible that will allow a big rear cassette (36t?)?

I likely know the answer, but can I use 10spd Apex on a 9spd sram drivetrain?
Old 08-06-2019, 01:27 AM

Apex 10-speed and all of the SRAM road 10 and 11s shifters/derailers use "Exact Actuation" cable pull indexing movement, which is also shared with SRAM MTB 10s shifters/derailers.

The 9s stuff was all "ESP" (also referred to as 1:1), it was all mtb-only stuff and is not compatible with any of the Exact Actuation indexing parts.

The derailer you need would be any SRAM 10s MTB derailer, by default being of the Exact Actuation type, and rated for your intended choice and range of sprocket sizes.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:15 AM
Randomhead

I am using 10 speed APEX with a SRAM MTB derailleur. X9 I think? It was the last high-end SRAM mtb derailleur before they went to clutch. I also have a Rival shifter/SRAM mtb derailleur setup working on 10 speed. Too bad they messed that up. That was pretty much the only reason I have SRAM parts on my road bikes.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:58 AM

Pay atttention to X-Actuation (mtb) vs Exact-Actuation. Most sram mtb is now x-actuation which has different cable pull. Force 1 is a clutch RD that has exact-actuation and will handle 36+.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
Pay atttention to X-Actuation (mtb) vs Exact-Actuation. Most sram mtb is now x-actuation which has different cable pull. Force 1 is a clutch RD that has exact-actuation and will handle 36+.
Correct, Force 1/Rival 1/Apex 1 will index with 10 speed shifters, but will only work in 1x setups. If you’re interested in 2x, use a 10 speed MTB RD for clutch + 36t cog handling + 2x capability.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Correct, Force 1/Rival 1/Apex 1 will index with 10 speed shifters, but will only work in 1x setups. If you’re interested in 2x, use a 10 speed MTB RD for clutch + 36t cog handling + 2x capability.
X7, X9, or XX should all fit the bill. I think you could even use 9s era RDs that use Exact Actuation/1:1 like the X-0.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
Not all SRAM clutch 1x RD's will handle 36+ cassettes. The medium cage 1x RD's are rated to do so, but there are short cage models as well.

The Apex 1x RD is functionally identical to Rival and Force, just a bit heavier.