Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2019, 02:44 PM

Bike commuting advice wanted

So I'm thinking about commuting to and from work at least some days of the week and I'm looking for practical advice on doing this effectively.

What are things I should be aware of that aren't obvious, what gear do I need, what additional details do you need from me to answer my naive question (I live in Northern Illinois and work in North Chicago with access to the Des Plaines River Trail for those that are local)?

The distance that I believe I need to go is between 20 and 30 miles one-way depending on the route and I think I can stash my bike in my office. In addition, there are showers on site.

My current drive takes 25-45 minutes and I typically cycle when I get home from work for about 90 minutes. The commute will give me additional miles/day but will ultimately consume the same or less time in my day.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:50 PM

That's a pretty good commute. Mine is only ten miles. One thing I like to do is drive in on Monday and leave the car in the lot and commute on bike all week and then drive home on Friday. We get a lot of afternoon thunder storms here so if one creeps up I can opt to just drive home.

For ten miles I just use a messenger bag but for a long commute like that I'd probably prefer a touring bike with panniers.

I make sure to leave a couple full set of cloths at work too... Nothing like showing up to work on your bike only to realize you forgot your cloths.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:51 PM

I think for a commute that long don't get a beater bike. Get a bike that's comfortable and fun and has an easy way to carry all your stuff. Some people like panniers on a rear rack, others like baskets on front racks, others use just saddlebags. Either way I'd consider a gravel/cyclocross bike that fits well, and can take big tires/fenders/racks. Spend the money on nice Schwalbe tires, or even some gravel kings can work super well, but always be prepared for flat tires.

Honestly, try it out with your favorite bike with just a big saddlebag thrown on, that might be all you need!
Old 08-05-2019, 03:16 PM

Will you be riding in the dark, dawn, dusk (you'll need good lights) or daylight only (consider "here I am" lights). Will you ride in wet, foggy, damp conditions (fenders).

Leave change of clothes, or at a minimum shoes, and towels, cleaning supplies at work. Comfortable bike with fatter, more durable tires is nice (I hate being late because I had to fix a flat). Panniers are much more comfortable than a backpack or messenger bag over that distance, not a necessity by any stretch, but something to think about.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:17 PM

Ride a normal road bike
Bring a tube and patch kit, get one of the little folding floor pump things
Get an ortleib messenger backpack they are comfortable and big
Err on the side of durability for tires
Invest in a high quality tail light like the Bontrager flare R
Have a backup bike, maybe a fixed gear for when it rains or your main bike is down
Leave yourself a buffer on time in case of an incident
Try to find a place at work to let your kit dry out after you get there
Leave as much stuff at work as possible like shoes so you’re not carrying them back and forth
Old 08-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

i would always leave a spare pair of socks, belt (reversible that was brown on one side, black on the other) and shoes at work. Of course a toothbrush, toothpaste too (though I always keep that at work). That way I'm not bringing bulky stuff back and forth, just flat clothes. I got hungrier commuting too so i'd have a stash of food at my desk.

I don't smell when I sweat so I never had to worry about cleanliness.

Definitely do a practice ride on the weekend so you know your route.

Commuting that length, a rack and fenders will go a long way. Messenger bag/backpack for that long sucks and you get much, much sweatier with it on.

You will get rained on or wet from ground spray. I didn't want a waterproof bag, they were too expensive and too limited options. I opted for a normal bag and used dry bags inside my bag. Sea to Summit has some light, thin dry bags. I had a dry bag for my computer and a dry bag for my clothes.

Keep a some spare plastic bags and ziploc bags in your commuting bag in case something leaks or is otherwise compromised.

There are varying opinions on this but on a bike/pedestrian dedicated bike path I would wear one earbud in my ear (left ear was kept open as that's the side cars pass on) and listen to podcasts/music/whatever. Once i got the trafficy section of the commute I would take the earbud out because I actually did need to concentrate.

don't be afraid to splurge on good quality clothing. It will make a big difference and will keep you comfortable. Plus, what you're saving in gas will offset some of the spend.

when it's really REALLY cold out, to stay warm, put on all of your clothes about 30 mins before you leave. That way you're nice and hot on the inside of your clothes before you brave the cold. I found it easier to "generate" heat once I was already warm.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:58 PM

Dynamo front hub is pretty nice ... never worry about charging lights.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:24 PM

With a commute that length you're obviously going to have to ride in something other than the clothes you wear at work. Unless you come up with a way to store part of your wardrobe at work you'll have to find a way to transport those work clothes. For me, the mission profile for commuting was little different from that for light touring, and (having tried all kinds of alternatives) the bikes that worked best were touring bikes.

Unless you plan to do this only in the late spring, summer and early fall you're going to have to deal with lighting. I heartily endorse generator lights. Considering how much travelling to work costs and how much you save by doing so by bicycle, the way I do the math there's no reason to skip: get a top line system like a Schmidt SON dyno hub and a top quality light like an Edelux II. Battery lights are inevitably going to lose power and leave you in the dark during your ride. Perhaps not when they're new, but as the battery ages it will lose capacity and sooner or later you're going to have the system go dark before you make it home. Generator lights have infinite burn time. What's more, you never have to remember to charge the battery.

It's transportation, not training. And most definitely not racing. And the best route is almost certainly not going to be the same route you'd drive in a car.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:31 PM

the little things

I like to have clear lenses always ready for the trip home if I'll be riding in the dark when the riding lights attract bugs on trails.

Keep some chain lube and extra rain gear at work.

Keep a lock at work so you don't have to lug it back and forth.

You're probably going to want to eat/refuel long before lunchtime. Keep snacks around.

Try not to eat lunch too late if you digest food slowly and think more seriously about the nutritional value of the lunches you eat at work. Maybe you already do that since you tend to ride after work.

Avoid switching back and forth between bags too much from day to day. You'll end up leaving essentials in the back you leave behind.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:39 PM

What bike do you have? Remember if main route is DPRT it can be very muddy much of the year and at times impassible.

I'd want a bike that takes 38's and a front rack and fenders for that sort of mileage. A backpack while simple would be horrible IMO

Touring or gravel bike.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:49 PM

I dunno why you guys hate backpacks so much, it’s so nice not having your bike weighed down with crap and what’s an extra 10lbs on your back, you hardly notice it if you get a good bag.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:55 PM

Some advice that others haven't mentioned: Eat! A typical work eating schedule involves having lunch at work and then dinner after you get home. If you have lunch at 12 and leave work at 5, you're setting yourself up for a bonk on the ride home. Make sure you get enough food in the afternoon before you leave work, and have food accessible to you when you ride..
Old 08-05-2019, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

I commute 2-3 days a week now and have commuted off and on for 28 years...my two cents:

--your commute seems long to me. I have had commutes as long as 25 miles and find I ride less. I almost always enjoy the ride in at any length but rarely enjoy the ride home at the end of the day if it goes past an hour. So I now drive to the local train station and hop on the bike path behind it...16.5 miles each way is perfect

--Life and work gets in the way, so 2-3 days a week is more realistic than every day for me. So I bring in clean clothes on a car day, hang the shirts in a garment bag in the closet and stash the rest, including two pairs of office shoes, under my desk. I get in, do email for 30 minutes to cool down, then I head to the shower and get changed. I find that much better than bringing in clothes every day.

--I have set up my tech so I don't need to bring my laptops home everyday, also makes the ride more enjoyable

--Lights...good lights...same ones for daytime running and winter rides. 900 lumens is enough me up front, something good on the back

--I like a dedicated commuting bike. I used my touring bike for years, but now use a Fierte Ti and really like the combo of a faster bike to ride and a little taller up front for the city part of my ride. Ti is good so I don't worry about the paint, used is good because it wouldn't break my heart if it got stolen. You want a bike that is enjoyable to ride but not tempting enough to steal

--Just like touring, reliable stuff that is easy to fix is better than high-zoot fancy stuff.

--Heavy duty locks that you leave at the office...one NYC chain and one U lock.

--Everything comes off a commuter unless it is behind your desk, so I like Ortlieb clip off bags

--Don't be afraid to do something dorky if it works. I have a top tube food bag thing that I put my work ID (to access the garage) and keys in. Don't worry if it looks goofy

--Hi viz everything to compliment your blinking lights. Blinking spoke light too for rides in the dark

--Keep a tube (and CO2 if you use it) in your desk so you can re-load if you flat on the way in

--Have the tools you need, and know how to use them, to fix the bike on the road, including a chain break and a back up pump if you use CO2

--Don't set rules...ride when you want, drive when you want, but don't feel guilty about riding or not riding

--Have clothes for every option. I have more costume changes than Cher and can adapt to 5 degree changes...vests, shells, fleeces of different flavors, etc. I have five different glove options alone. I didn't buy it all at once, but over the years I've grown to really appreciate not being cold in January or hot in July

--Photochromic glasses...able to ride in bright sun and after dark

**don't take advice from anyone who doesn't commute regularly, but there are plenty of us so you should be good
Old 08-05-2019, 07:30 PM

so I'll give a little more detail on my bike since this seems to be a consistent question.

The bike I would ride is a Moots Routt and riding to work is part of my justification for keeping it. I love riding it and it's pretty comfortable. I can go pretty wide with 700c or wider with 650b

Charliedid: you are correct that DPRT sucks about half the year. I ride on weekends and routinely have to find alternative routes.

Keep the advice coming.

I should also mention that I could ride my bike to the Metra and take it up to my town if conditions get real crappy.

In addition, year round probably isn't practical given the weather we have and the distance from my office to home.

Finally, I don't recall if I mentioned or not but the bike will live in my office while at work. I work in a gated office park (badge in) and a building with badge in only access.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:43 PM

Perfect bike! I'd do fat 650b tires with full fenders, and invest in good lights. Great you don't have to lock it up.