Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2019, 03:48 PM

Sniffing glue, mostly.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:49 PM

Analog photography. Yes, I shoot actual film (large format) and use stinky chemicals in dark rooms. But then I still ride a lugged steel bike with 2x8 running gear. Couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2019, 04:42 PM

Fight club.

Texbike
Old 08-01-2019, 05:03 PM

I bought a game console and started honing my Fortnite skillz.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:04 PM

Hiking and travel with my wife (she hasn't ridden a bike for many years, won't start up again anytime soon)

Martial Arts (Tai Chi, the real thing, not the hippy dippy new age stuff)

Photography

Interestingly, martial arts, photography, and cycling are the three main things that I've been doing since I was a little kid, and they have stuck with me (I'm 61)
Old 08-01-2019, 05:24 PM

I mostly mountain bike and hike with a little trail running mixed in. I have better mountain biking and hiking from my door than road rides So mixing it up is easy.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:30 PM

I am mostly MTB with a bit of road when I have low traffic opportunities. Got kids now, eh?

Lift weights or do pushups/chinups almost daily. That is fun.

When not on the bike or in the gym, when it comes to hobbies, fly fishing and hiking when the fishing and hiking are good.

I like reading American lit (Steinbeck, Melville, et Al) and talking books, philosophy, and art, etc. with my drinking buddies.

Honestly, though, real talk, and I don't think I am alone here: look at the internet. Sad face.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:45 PM

Gym

In addition to cycling, I do gym work 6 days per week. Structured workouts but no max lifting. I do perform squats and deadlifts 2x per week. Core 3x per week. Upper body focused days 4x per week.
At age 55 some might say I am a gym rat with a cycling problem.

I could probably be 10% faster on the bike if I stopped gym work- My power would go up and my weight would go down by 5 lb.
But my body would work worse overall- not better.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:54 PM

I ride for fitness and swim for relaxation.

knock out 25-40 miles on the bike every morning and then head to the pool and do 1,000 to 1,200 yards.

when it's 100F, after a ride nothing feels so refreshing as the 70F, unchlorinated water at the pool I use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deep Eddy.jpg (21.6 KB, 114 views)
Old 08-01-2019, 06:11 PM

Irish dancing - says the Irish girl.

Having been a competitive Irish dancer as a kid and adult I run through my drill sets and sometimes the steps. It’s great for cardio, it engages my core, and definitely engages my legs. It’s an activity I can do outdoors or at my gym in the yoga studio and have from time to time got a workout (jig) at the pub.

Beyond Irish dance I also get a little cardio running through airports or catching trains.

Attempted snowboarding at the young age of my late forties - that didn’t go so well and broke my wrist....switched to skiing and prefer this for a active winter sport and to mix it up.

When traveling I look for cycle gyms to get a fix...went to a spin class at my gym (lead by a non cyclist) at the request of a client and would rather watch paint dry.

Golfing for me is a function of work and spend my time wondering how to get everyone to consider doing a riding event vs golfing.

I’m close to a river which has a Rowing team and considered it and reasoned if I was going to row i’d rather ride.

Love Bikram yoga and hit a class occasionally. Pilates is another one I will rotate into the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirl View Post
Irish dancing - says the Irish girl.
oh geez, my calves are big enough as it is, all that jumping around and i'd be stuck with shorts for the rest of my life.

i snowboard in the winter, but that's maybe 6 times total, and difficult to get to. a friend of mine recommended xc skiing...may have to do that.
i would highly recommend the rowing if you have the time and money for it, wonderful sport.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:31 PM

Fly fishing, motorcycles, motocamping, backpacking, skeet and sporting clays. Alpine skiing. Want to start playing ice hockey again. Travel. Wine and beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanile View Post
oh geez, my calves are big enough as it is, all that jumping around and i'd be stuck with shorts for the rest of my life.

i snowboard in the winter, but that's maybe 6 times total, and difficult to get to. a friend of mine recommended xc skiing...may have to do that.
i would highly recommend the rowing if you have the time and money for it, wonderful sport.
I've only been xc skiing for 2 winters now, but it's a really nice winter accompaniment to cycling. I'll xc ski until the Front Range trails are packed enough for fat biking, then alternate depending on how I feel. Plenty of alpine skiing mixed in there too. Ive been on a fairly consistent regimen of body weight exercises regardless of whether I'm riding that day or not, and it's really helped my health, my riding fitness, and my general mindset. Would recommend.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:37 PM

cut grass
Old 08-01-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Fight club.

Texbike
Tsk tsk. First rule is....