Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
The silca seat roll premio with BOA is the answer BUT one needs to play around with the packing. In mine I have a latex glove, 700x28 tube, two 16g CO2, glueless patches, inflator head, two levers. paper towel, and a patch kit and glue.
Yep, packing the thing is a learned art.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:08 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
Yep, packing the thing is a learned art.
it's obvious once said, but the two sides dont flat fold over the center easily, especally if you have items near the fold. the sides will have to wrap over those items, then fold - so you end up losing a bit of capacity unless you pack with that in mind. I put the tube and the 16g in the center.

That silca capsule looks like a good size if for gravel.

I should also add, that the only reason I went with the Silca was for the BOA. Having had BOA on my shoes, I really like the dial system. Plenty of seat roll typ bags, but only silca at the time had the BOA

Last edited by pdmtong; 08-02-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
This is the bag I'm currently using. It was cheap, on clearance at MEC which is our version of REI. It has extra buttons to keep it on the seat rails while you open the zipper for access. Good idea but it adds more work to put on and take off.
I use it to hold a tube for a 26 X 2" tire, levers, patches, Pinhead key. It's a good size with some room to spare. Measures about 5.5 X 4.5 X 2.5".

It's attached to my Charge Spoon saddle.

Not life altering, just one of those thinking/ wondering out loud things if there is something that can let me do a quick twist/ click in and out.
And Toronto roads are full of potholes, thus the need for a reliable clip. Don't wanna lose my Pinhead key.
My 2 cents FWIW, I think bags under the saddle make no sense! First, you can't get to anything unless you're stopped. it's very small so you really can't carry much and it seems like at least once a year, I ride up to a rider to tell them their bag is unzipped.

On my gravel bike a frame bag or handlebar bag is the way to go and there are lots of small handlebar bags out on the market now.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:54 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
My 2 cents FWIW, I think bags under the saddle make no sense! First, you can't get to anything unless you're stopped. it's very small so you really can't carry much and it seems like at least once a year, I ride up to a rider to tell them their bag is unzipped.

On my gravel bike a frame bag or handlebar bag is the way to go and there are lots of small handlebar bags out on the market now.
Saddle bags are not for on the bike use. They carry tools if you have a flat or other mechanical. They make sense if you dont want to carry a lot of stuff and stays out of the way unlike a handlebar bag. Dont get me wrong I carry a handlebar bag sometimes but on a road ride I just carry a small saddle bag, beats carrying a tube/tire lever/patches/mini tool in a jersey pocket.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:30 AM

I'll second Topeak. I got one with a purchase from JeffN a while back and it has been great. I am thinking of getting some extra mounts and swap the bag around between bikes so I don't need to duplicate multi-tools and other contents... one bag to rule them all so to speak
Old 08-03-2019, 10:56 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post

my seat roll contains things specific to flat repair - that's it. so I odnt need access unless I flat.

what do you typically carry in your hbar bag? presumably you use the bag to get a bit more capacity (and security) than jersey pockets?
Old 08-03-2019, 12:02 PM
mentholated

remember those fizik bags you could clip to your fizik saddle with the built in buckle? those things were terrible.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
remember those fizik bags you could clip to your fizik saddle with the built in buckle? those things were terrible.
??? Why? I have 4 of them that I've used for 8 years and they're still working fine.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:37 PM
mentholated

mine would flop open over rough terrain. maybe it wasnt meant for light cx rides. ive been ics clip free for a few years now because of it.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:40 PM

I like Scicon bags -- clip system works well, though the bags are typically on the small side (my preference).

I use a Hippo 550cc bag which probably would not work for what you like to carry. Scicon does however, have 695cc bag that might suit your needs.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:37 PM

You use the bag on a commuter. Do you feel the need to remove your bag each time you stop at a store or are you switching the bag between bikes?
Old 08-03-2019, 09:25 PM

Most of the time I have the saddle bag and pump in my Linus Sac when I'm commuting to shop.
Lately I've been out for a leisure ride more frequently on the commuter sans Sac and lock up the bike to grab a bite or whatever and don't want to leave the bag and pump available to an opportunist.

It just crossed my mind more than once that one of those twist lock bags would be something worth a try but I've read complaints in the past about some like the Fiziks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
You use the bag on a commuter. Do you feel the need to remove your bag each time you stop at a store or are you switching the bag between bikes?
Old 08-03-2019, 10:33 PM

Then consider a handlebar bag that uses the Klickfix attachment system, like the Swift Industries Paloma bag. Lots of room, easy on and off.

https://builtbyswift.com/shop/paloma-handlebar-bag/
Old 08-04-2019, 08:29 AM

Had my velcro loops come undone on my ride yesterday. Noticed it when the bag was flopping against my thigh. Stopped, reattached. I'm careful when reattaching the bag after cleaning the bike (about the only time I take it off) but maybe this time I didn't pull it tight enough to use the full length of the velcro. Or maybe the velcro is getting old. Or just sh** happens. No real harm but in a group ride having the bag drop off could cause problems.

Got me thinking. How about as fail safe just put a paper clip over the middle of the velcro linkage. I think I'll try that in a few minutes. It should provide a fail safe to keep the velcro from coming apart. And triple check the velcro attachment when putting the bag back on.

Ideally bags could be made with a fail safe clip to go around the velcro attachment?
Old 08-04-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
I like Scicon bags -- clip system works well, though the bags are typically on the small side (my preference).

I use a Hippo 550cc bag which probably would not work for what you like to carry. Scicon does however, have 695cc bag that might suit your needs.
I'm a Scicon fan as well. I have the attachment on several bikes to I can switch bags from bike to bike if necessary. Haven't lost one yet, and like that there is no strap around seat tube. You have to pack light though--for me it is a spare tube, patch kit, levers a handywipe, sometimes a multi if I'm setting the bike up.