Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2019, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I'm very surprised by the amount of wear as well. Any chance the tires came in contact with something caustic that may have dried them out?

Weird
That would be strange - can't imagine where i would have picked something like that up, unless it was in the road somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post

I understand the sentiment, but IME it's really not a big deal at all. I've seen you mention this before. Have you had a bad experience changing a tubeless tire?
i just think it would be a little messy pulling a tire off that is full of sealant, not a big deal for sure, but not something i would do as thoughtlessly as with tubed clinchers. I have a lot of wheels anyway so this is not a huge issue
Old 07-31-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
That would be strange - can't imagine where i would have picked something like that up, unless it was in the road somewhere.

i just think it would be a little messy pulling a tire off that is full of sealant, not a big deal for sure, but not something i would do as thoughtlessly as with tubed clinchers. I have a lot of wheels anyway so this is not a huge issue

FWIW, I used to think this too. In reality you have to be slightly more careful than with a tubed clincher, but as long as you remember which side is down, it’s not real messy. Been forever since I had an actual sealant mess in the garage or on the road.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=AngryScientist;2573277
i just think it would be a little messy pulling a tire off that is full of sealant, not a big deal for sure, but not something i would do as thoughtlessly as with tubed clinchers. I have a lot of wheels anyway so this is not a huge issue [/QUOTE]

I have a couple of large syringes purchased from Tractor Supply, cheap. Sure they’re available on line from other sources. Break the bead on the tire at 12 o’clock. Carefully rotate tire down and use the syringe to suck out the sealant.

To refill I use the Stan’s 2 oz squeeze bottle, tip fits nicely into the presta stem w/ the core removed. With the tire completely mounted, remove the core, rotate to 9 o’clock and fill. Install the core and inflate.

Easy to do. More steps then changing a tube, but when it works, it’s great.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

On the road, by the time you're changing it, all the sealant is outside of the tire

At home, you want to wash the wheel anyway, so I have a hose ready to go.

The bigger issue is all the dried sealant coating the inside of the tire and bead. Some of that you want to remove and it's a pain. This right here is the worst thing about TL.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:32 PM

Ahhh, tires. A subject that offers more opinions than politics. Here's my take.

Do you really need/want a knobby tire? Honestly, I don't see the point of having knobby tires for gravel rides, especially on the rides I've seen you do thru your pics showing you riding on well-maintained dirt roads. Add to that, you ride a lot of pavement on those tires, so you just end up wearing out the knobs in a few hundred miles.

My local dirt rides consist of mostly singletrack, with your expected New England rocks, roots, etc. I just got back from a trip to Cape Cod and rode a bunch of nice trails in the kettle pond area of Wellfleet. I have never, ever wished I had knobs on my tires. Never. FWIW, I'm riding the Clement/Donnelly X'PLOR MSO 40mm.

Also, I think you'll find that riders doing events like DK200 ride pretty smooth tires.

So seriously, do you really think you need knobbies?
Does anybody here use a knobby tire for gravel?

Enjoy your ride,
Murph
Old 08-01-2019, 08:55 PM

Green tire tread is notoriously fast wearing, it's silica based without carbon black and has very poor wear resistance but good grip in the wet. Green michelin mud cyclocross tubs could be worn out after one race in rocky, wet soil.

I'd get another pair or just a pair with black tread.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:56 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by marley View Post
Schwalbe G One speed

Rolls fast and has been wearing well, this will be my second D2R2 on these tires - I use them commuting also. Bomb proof on the rough roads.
I have regular G Ones on my gravel wheels. They ride surprisingly well and roll quickly

M
Old 08-01-2019, 09:07 PM

I would give the Schwalbe G-one allround in 35mm a try. It is what I run on my drifter with Reynolds ATR wheels and they measure 35.2mm on a digital caliper.

Great tires for the kind of riding you do and I havent had any issues yet after a couple of years of use.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post

Do you really need/want a knobby tire? Honestly, I don't see the point of having knobby tires for gravel rides, especially on the rides I've seen you do thru your pics showing you riding on well-maintained dirt roads. Add to that, you ride a lot of pavement on those tires, so you just end up wearing out the knobs in a few hundred miles.

My local dirt rides consist of mostly singletrack, with your expected New England rocks, roots, etc. I just got back from a trip to Cape Cod and rode a bunch of nice trails in the kettle pond area of Wellfleet. I have never, ever wished I had knobs on my tires. Never. FWIW, I'm riding the Clement/Donnelly X'PLOR MSO 40mm.

Also, I think you'll find that riders doing events like DK200 ride pretty smooth tires.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph
Agree, fast harder center and some grippy softer edges gets me through anything I’ve faced and I’d bet my gravel is smoother on the canals in Phx than anywhere and nastier in the wild than most places.

I like the mso tires you ride as well. Great tire.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I have regular G Ones on my gravel wheels. They ride surprisingly well and roll quickly

M
This one has been my favorite but it’s so expensive and I’ve ruined a few prematurely, enough to push me away...

Edit: I actually used the speed version. Great tire.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:22 PM

bald is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post

Enjoy your ride,
Murph
Hey murph, Im a murph and I agree w you. I went over to small knobbies w WTB Resolute 650 x 42's to see if this would help in stretches of loose sand that I sometimes have to deal w on gravel rides. It was not much better in the loose stuff and not as much fun most of the time. I am back to Panaracer Paris Moto 650 x 42's as they are bald and beautiful. File tread or no tread fat tires roll better on the road and do very well on most gravel. I enjoy the great traction and cushy ride of fat tires when it is wet, nasty or dirty.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:22 AM

Maybe too obvious but Rene Herse tires are amazing on gravel. They have 32mm, 35mm and 38mm so you're all set.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:42 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Yup, and I love the tread on my Steilacooms, and they fly on pavement without any premature wear. I can't imagine using anything but Rene Herse/Compass tires. It really is an amazing tire, but too large for Angry's needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post
Maybe too obvious but Rene Herse tires are amazing on gravel. They have 32mm, 35mm and 38mm so you're all set.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:48 AM
Administrator

yea, if those knobby compass tires came in a 33 or so, i'd be on them. i think the 38's on wide internal rims would sneak into my frame, but i think it's too much tire for what i'm doing.

i have a set of bon-jons tucked away that i may throw on at some point, but for now, i have a challenge gravel grinder 33 on order that should fit the bill.

still need to get a new bottle of sealant.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:01 AM

Somewhat on topic, but what is the best practice for cleaning out dried sealant?