Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2019, 12:54 PM
Administrator

New Gravel Tire Recommendations??

Hi gang. Group think sourcing a recommendation.

My ritchey is currently on GK SK's in 32c. As you can see below on my 22mm (internal) rim wheels, they blow up to a hair over 34mm, which i have found is absolutely ideal for the riding i'm doing with this bike.

this tire has exactly 563 miles on it and as you can see, the middle row of knobs is just about gone. i've got a few more big rides and then off to D2R2 with this bike, and i'm thinking i should replace the rear once the center strip is down to the base material with all the knobs worn off.

now, i understand there is no free lunch, and that a supple fast tire wears quick, but just under 600 miles is a bit fast wearing i think. if this was a road only tire, i would just wear it down to the threads, but for gravel, i like to have a little meat left... with that in mind i want to get another tire on the rear before deerfield in a few weeks.

the nature of the "gravel" riding i do out here is means realistically 65/35 road/dirt is the usual mix, so these tires do see a lot of pavement too.

would like thoughts on a different rear that measures about exactly the same on the rims i have, does not weigh more than the SK and rides well on roads as well as some knobs for grip offroad. i like to stand and climb, so some bite from the rear tire is much appreciated.

must be tubeless compatible.

thoughts?

in reality, i love the way these tires ride, and i may just replace it with another of the same.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:10 PM

Lately I've been gravitating towards bigger and slicker tires for gravel. I find a GravelKing 38 rolls faster than a GK SK 32 without any appreciable loss in traction.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Lately I've been gravitating towards bigger and slicker tires for gravel. I find a GravelKing 38 rolls faster than a GK SK 32 without any appreciable loss in traction.
thanks, but not interested in anything fatter than what i'm running for the riding i've been doing. i might not even be able to squeeze 38's into my frame with the wide rims.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:17 PM

What does gravel mean to you? Sand? Mud? If not, I'd stick with the worn GK SK. I've found the GK SKs to roll a bit slower than some of the other current options. If you've some mud/sand/snow, Schwalbe G-one All Around are good for most conditions. . The Vittoria Terreno line is pretty good too.

EDIT: looks like the G-One doesn't come in 32-33c. I see the x-one does.

Last edited by jfranci3; 07-30-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:18 PM

CHeck out the Hutchinson Overrides. They claim 35mm wide but their 38mm tires are more like 37mm so they may work. I ride the 38mm tire and it’s very good.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Hutchinson...avel-700C-Tire
Old 07-30-2019, 01:21 PM

Why do the knobs/ribs on those tires look so dry and brittle? Is it just dried mud on them?

Pressure seems to be a big factor in tire wear. Perhaps those tires would wear slower if you dropped the psi a bit? I'd probably be inclined to buy one more and see how it fares.

Other possible options are Schwalbe G-One Allround in 35mm and Hutchinson Overide 35mm.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Why do the knobs/ribs on those tires look so dry and brittle? Is it just dried mud on them?
this is a good question actually. i wonder if when they tried to produce these tires in the limited edition colors (these are green...) the compound was effected a bit? they are in fact cracking at the tread quite a bit.

recall also, that these have under 600m on them and i weigh 135#
Old 07-30-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
this is a good question actually. i wonder if when they tried to produce these tires in the limited edition colors (these are green...) the compound was effected a bit? they are in fact cracking at the tread quite a bit.

recall also, that these have under 600m on them and i weigh 135#
Those are a mess for such low mileage.
I might switch just based on that fact.
I like Conti Cyclocross Speed in 700x35.
I doubt they are any bigger than your current tire.
I got a set of compass Steilacoom for Farmers Daughter and they are superb but definitely wider than what you have now.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:08 PM

Stay with what you have, but purchase black ones. The colors are rubbish.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Stay with what you have, but purchase black ones.
Sound plan really.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:35 PM

Bro those are just getting broken in! They'll just keep getting faster as they wear too, which is awesome since you put so many miles on the pavement with them. At <35mm knobs aren't going to help you stand on a climb and get traction anyway. The only other tire in that size range I haven't seen mentioned is the Terreno Dry 33, but honestly, for your riding, the worn down GKSK is the bomb.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:03 PM

Schwalbe G One speed

Rolls fast and has been wearing well, this will be my second D2R2 on these tires - I use them commuting also. Bomb proof on the rough roads.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
CHeck out the Hutchinson Overrides. They claim 35mm wide but their 38mm tires are more like 37mm so they may work. I ride the 38mm tire and it’s very good.
The Override 35 is an uber good tubeless skinnyish semislick, runs pretty close to 35 iirc.

You could also consider ye olde Clement/Donnelly MXP cx tire which plumps to 35ish and feels mighty good on dirt, paved and whathaveyou. Don't be dismayed by the cx'ing tread.

Instagram
Old 07-30-2019, 03:51 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
in reality, i love the way these tires ride, and i may just replace it with another of the same.
angry pal, it's good to check around every once in a while to see what people are using/doing and what's available in the market, like what you are doing here.

Having said that, I think you will be just as happy sticking with GK.

Personally, I think my current gravel bike has reached the state of nirvana with GK 27.5x1.9. That's what I would ride if I am going to D2R2 this year but unfortunately, I won't so I would have to channel myself through you on that ride....
Old 07-30-2019, 04:15 PM

As others have said, the override 35 is probably ideal for you. Great road tires and hold up very well in the loose rock gravel up here in NoCal. If you feel adventurous, I also have to mention the Rene herse Steilacomms. They measure just under 38 on mg 21mm internal rims. Debatable if they are as good as the overrides on road, but definitely grip better on the dirt...