Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
It's funny you should say that OP. Have friends who bought a killer SUV for the son's first car after debating an econobox. Why? The reply was "It's safer. And we can use it when we need to pick up mulch"

It became known as the mulchmobile.
This car, with it's world class acceleration, is clearly the safer option for most drivers who may need to be able to accelerate away from a hazardous situation or safely merge into freeway traffic using the on-ramp.

Nothing says safety like 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. These should be mandatory for all new drivers.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
This car, with it's world class acceleration, is clearly the safer option for most drivers who may need to be able to accelerate away from a hazardous situation or safely merge into freeway traffic using the on-ramp.

Nothing says safety like 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. These should be mandatory for all new drivers.
LOL.. the famous last words of so many young bucks on sportbikes.

You'd think the Motorcycle Safety Foundation didn't have an explicit segment in the beginner motorcycle course going over why using acceleration as a response to a dangerous situation is always the wrong answer. (I don't recall anything like that ever being covered in *car* driver ed of course!)

0-60 in 2.9s being nothing special at all in that world for decades now where you can get a used bike that'll do that for less than the average member here spends on a road bike on average.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Not to mention the known benign handling of mid-engine cars. No dangerous understeer to worry about here!
Old 08-16-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

It'd be interested to see the male/female split on buying these kinds of cars. If it's 90% men you don't think it's cause there aren't enough women who can afford them do you?

I go to the track quite a bit -15 days this year, and will go a lot more in the future as I joined a track that is reopening next week.

Small percentage of women at the track, but a good percentage of the women drive Corvettes.

Jeff
Old 08-17-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
It's not a 'vette anymore. Since it's inception Corvette has come to mean large pushrod V-8 front engine, rear wheel drive, fiberglass American muscle car. At a price that was just one step above a Z-28 Camaro, thus reachable for many if

they wanted it bad enough.

In the real world it became the midlife crisis car for the divorced guy in his 50's...

Now GM has turned it into just another Euro-type mid engine exotic. Should have named it something else.

RIP Corvette, 1953-2019

Totally agree!

The new one is certainly nice but not a Corvette anymore.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:14 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
I go to the track quite a bit -15 days this year, and will go a lot more in the future as I joined a track that is reopening next week.

Small percentage of women at the track, but a good percentage of the women drive Corvettes.

Jeff
I have seen more women at the corvette group on youtube than here on PL
Old 08-17-2019, 11:49 AM

I think that Zora Arkus Duntov would take exception to this thinking. it was
always his dream to have a mid engine corvette right from the beginning. it was only the bean counters and executives at gm that held him back and forced him to use the front engine/rear drive platform.

I predict that this will be the best corvette ever produced. I have own several corvette in my life. 1966 & 1967 both with the L-79 engine and a 1975 low performance all convertibles. this is a huge step in performance potential for the corvette badge. I am actually surprised that gm did not use a new name for this super car.

Last edited by alancw3; 08-17-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post

I predict that this will be the best corvette ever produced. .
If they can avoid the issues with GM quality I totally agree. That would be my biggest concern. GM cars are often built using substandard materials and parts. Hopefully this one is different.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:23 PM

Finally saw one out in the wild on Saturday.

Very good looking. Hoping the 5 year quality curve stays high.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
Finally saw one out in the wild on Saturday.

Very good looking. Hoping the 5 year quality curve stays high.

I haven’t see one yet, but am looking forward to it. Although I’ll likely never own one and maybe not drive one, I’d like to see this car succeed. The thought of just being able to floor it makes me giddy and I’m not a car guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2020, 10:37 AM
DELETE ACCNT

Naw, it's pretty bad QC. Panel gaps and materials, rattles and squeeks are not appearing much different than older ones.
Par for the brand. Maybe it will improve as the production gears up

Still, it's an amazing car and such a great move by GM. From all accounts, drives wonderfully.
It will still be one of the, if not best Corvette.

Quote:
If they can avoid the issues with GM quality I totally agree. That would be my biggest concern. GM cars are often built using substandard materials and parts. Hopefully this one is different.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:48 AM

The new version is going to be a terrific platform from which to build an all out world class race car. A GM "Halo" car. It won't be anything like the street car, but starting with "mid engine" makes a difference.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:16 AM

I saw my first one in the wild the weekend before last while out for a ride. I could hear it before it popped into view. I like it!

Here's a nice video of one out on the track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIyS8YlydG0 . The poster has several videos of the car from the time that he picked it up at the dealership, to when he drove it home, and then started doing track days with it. Kinda cool.

Texbike
Old 05-04-2020, 11:23 AM

Yah I saw my first C8 out on the road recently, bright red.

It looked awesome... I was fairly excited and so was my kid.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=texbike;2711788]I saw my first one in the wild the weekend before last while out for a ride. I could hear it before it popped into view. I like it!

Here's a nice video of one out on the track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIyS8YlydG0 . The poster has several videos of the car from the time that he picked it up at the dealership, to when he drove it home, and then started doing track days with it. Kinda cool.

19 year old kid just bought a new Corvette?
Took a plane flight to take delivery!?
Hmm...