Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2019, 04:27 PM

ot: first Sportwagen mystery noise

seems in the last month or so i've been getting kinda of a small snap noise from the back of the car. happens when i back out of my garage and off the garage floor onto the driveway that is a tiny bit below garage grade like less than an inch. never on both sides at the same time and each time only one little quick snap...or small knock.

also totally intermittent. today in a parking lot while turning sharply i heard it again. mostly either while turning or over a small lip. nothing over crap roads or small divots and almost always when the car is cold.

what the heck? i heard shocks not covered under warranty. i just hit 19K. warranty up in Aug.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:36 PM

My Sportwagen is a 2014 Jetta and makes a @#$% ton of noise. The headliner and the entire right side not to mention the sunroof. I think when the screen is retracted it bangs around. I also don't think I'll ever open the sunroof. Wish it wasn't even there to be honest.

The dealer attempted to tighten things up for me a month after owning it but no dice.

All I can say is get used to it. Seems to be a thing.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:52 PM

mine is quiet as a mouse

and has been a delight. think the platform for your car and mine are vastly different. hoping for better results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
My Sportwagen is a 2014 Jetta and makes a @#$% ton of noise. The headliner and the entire right side not to mention the sunroof. I think when the screen is retracted it bangs around. I also don't think I'll ever open the sunroof. Wish it wasn't even there to be honest.

The dealer attempted to tighten things up for me a month after owning it but no dice.

All I can say is get used to it. Seems to be a thing.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
and has been a delight. think the platform for your car and mine are vastly different. hoping for better results.
I hope so, for your sake. I don't drive all that much and for years drove old Volvo's and pick-up trucks. I'm used to it

You have a Golf 4Motion?
Old 06-27-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
seems in the last month or so i've been getting kinda of a small snap noise from the back of the car. happens when i back out of my garage and off the garage floor onto the driveway that is a tiny bit below garage grade like less than an inch. never on both sides at the same time and each time only one little quick snap...or small knock.

also totally intermittent. today in a parking lot while turning sharply i heard it again. mostly either while turning or over a small lip. nothing over crap roads or small divots and almost always when the car is cold.

what the heck? i heard shocks not covered under warranty. i just hit 19K. warranty up in Aug.
Who told you shocks were not covered? Have you tried to create the sound when a service guy from the dealership is in the car?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:17 PM

hard to duplicate

it happens when it happens. read on the net re: warranty.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
it happens when it happens. read on the net re: warranty.
See the service manager at your dealership. Read your warranty. I would be very surprised if shocks are excluded from your warranty. Of course, we don't know that the problem is with a shock so an official warranty diagnosis/repair is one of the reasons for buying a NEW car with a warranty.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:48 PM

Perhaps end links on anti sway bars. Sealed greased bushings do go bad. I've had that problem when outside air is cold on other model car. Then it goes away when car warms up. Was the end links.

Last edited by Ralph; 06-27-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

My 2017 GSW 4Motion was recalled for rear coil springs..get new ones this monday..might be that?
Old 06-28-2019, 07:50 AM

guess it makes sense

to get it into the dealer while under warranty. maybe they know of it and can either tighten, lube, or replace before it's too late.

found the recall info but it says 2017 on and mine is 2016. will pursue.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...s-could-break/

this guy shows all the parts on a GTI. think my car does not have coils.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYQYV1R8ZfY

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
My 2017 GSW 4Motion was recalled for rear coil springs..get new ones this monday..might be that?

Last edited by eddief; 06-28-2019 at 08:11 AM.