Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
There's so much facepalm marketing here.

It's an aero bike...

But the head-tube is 1.5cm taller on the 58.

It's an aero bike...

But go ahead and put 30mm+ tires on it.

It's an aero bike...

But you're stuck with too much rise, not enough length, and too much width in the bar/stem.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a properly race-fit SS Evo from last year w some aero bars/wheels and 25c tires will be just as fast/efficient at normal 18-22mph speeds on normal pavement as this bike with all of its comfort-compromises.

But hey, it's good for the custom bike biz, so - win/win?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
it's fast. it will win races. this is what it is supposed to do. it will be faster than the ss evo, even all parts equal, guaranteed. it doesn't look horrible, but yes, because of constraints, most carbon race bikes are conforming to a set of design norms.

if you don't want a race bike, don't get one. most people posting here will never take advantage of the edge it strides. get something more fun for everyday usage that brings you a smile.

glad to see the geometry is becoming sensible, especially for smaller riders. makes a lot more sense than the geo chart from that abomination gravel bike.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:31 AM

I just don’t understand how someone goes out and spends 10K+ on a production bike made by a 13 y/o in Taiwan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2019, 11:38 AM

i think they nailed it on these, awesome

Old 06-28-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
it's fast. it will win races. this is what it is supposed to do. it will be faster than the ss evo, even all parts equal, guaranteed. it doesn't look horrible, but yes, because of constraints, most carbon race bikes are conforming to a set of design norms.

if you don't want a race bike, don't get one. most people posting here will never take advantage of the edge it strides. get something more fun for everyday usage that brings you a smile.

glad to see the geometry is becoming sensible, especially for smaller riders. makes a lot more sense than the geo chart from that abomination gravel bike.
I'm just saying that I'm surprised that the SS EVO is making concessions to comfort rather than maintaining its status as an unapologetic race bike. And with the integrated cockpit, it becomes impossible to #slamthatstem and very expensive to get a proper 130x40 stem/bar setup on there. Combine that with the increased stack and decreased reach, plus encouragement to use fatter tires, and they are pushing it closer to an endurance bike.. Which is fine, but is a departure from the history of the model. I don't doubt the frame itself is faster - but if it puts the rider in a less aero position, the small gains of the frame will be overwhelmed by the losses in rider position. And with the difficulty of adjusting the cockpit, getting the rider into the same position won't be as easy as before. That's all.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andeww View Post

Those are awesome -- but we need a "Beast of the East" version in the same colorway..
Old 06-28-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Those are awesome -- but we need a "Beast of the East" version in the same colorway..
These are indeed amazing. Really wished they'd applied the same attention to detail when they designed their flagship cycle.

Having grown up very close to where Cannondale started, and ridden and lusted after many of their rides over the years it saddens that all the new information that's been published has only lessened the appeal. I get all the aero benefits of the main design elements, however it seems like they strayed too much from their original design language and tried to assuage such misgivings by throwing a peanut by reverting back to the old emblem while also keeping other text/paint squarely in the "modern" aesthetic.

Here's a little mockup I did where they could've easily implemented most of the modern aero tricks without completely ruining the Supersix silhouette, and also adding more of the classic design elements.
Original:

Mockup:
SSEvo-Revised.jpg
Old 06-28-2019, 03:22 PM

^ that's good editing work
Old 06-28-2019, 05:07 PM

They claim 30 watts savings over the last one at 30mph. Hmmmmmm
Old 06-28-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

And that explains why since the C59, few team leaders on Colnago sponsored teams choose the C series bikes over Giant manufactured monocoque.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andeww View Post

Tasty.. love those. Bike candy.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I'm just saying that I'm surprised that the SS EVO is making concessions to comfort rather than maintaining its status as an unapologetic race bike. And with the integrated cockpit, it becomes impossible to #slamthatstem and very expensive to get a proper 130x40 stem/bar setup on there. Combine that with the increased stack and decreased reach, plus encouragement to use fatter tires, and they are pushing it closer to an endurance bike.. Which is fine, but is a departure from the history of the model. I don't doubt the frame itself is faster - but if it puts the rider in a less aero position, the small gains of the frame will be overwhelmed by the losses in rider position. And with the difficulty of adjusting the cockpit, getting the rider into the same position won't be as easy as before. That's all.
Thanks for the great summary! Since the CAAD7, Cannondale road geometry was something I could count on for a reasonably long and low fit in my size (56). With the new SS Evo, I will have to look for a different brand of race frame. Hope the upcoming CAAD13 doesn’t copy this geometry...

Greg
Old 06-28-2019, 07:37 PM

Those MTB throwback schemes are pretty good.

Quote:
a proper 130x40 stem/bar setup on there.
Interested to hear what you mean by this. Form over function thing? Handlebar reach/width, shifter shape/reach and humans come in more than a handful of sizes. I don't see why stem length should not also be a variable.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:40 PM

I still love my CAAD too, but this would be near the top of my list if I was buying right now. Cannondale always tends to get things right and I'm sure this bike is a fast, responsive and a relatively comfortable ride for what it is. The internet never likes new things, but I'm willing to bet most people will have a different opinion of this bike by the end of the year once they see a few out on the road and get to ride some.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Those MTB throwback schemes are pretty good.

Interested to hear what you mean by this. Form over function thing? Handlebar reach/width, shifter shape/reach and humans come in more than a handful of sizes. I don't see why stem length should not also be a variable.
Well, I was being kind of sarcastic, but it does frustrate me that manufacturers still think if you're on a 58/60cm bike, you need 44cm bars.. And while I prefer the handling of long stems on race bikes, I know others like something more on the middle. The inflexibility of one piece systems is just silly to me - especially since manufacturers aren't providing shops w free swaps on these bikes, as far as I know.

This does not look like a bike with an aero optimized position:

But this certainly does:

Last edited by Clean39T; 06-28-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:47 PM

everybody copying bmc eh?