Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2019, 03:37 PM

I bet that bike is a riot to ride, but it is pretty butt ugly. I too hate the dropped seatstays.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:39 PM

I dont care much for the looks of the one above but do really like the looks of this EF team bike supers evo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t7Fb26LXKU
Old 06-27-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl819 View Post
I dont care much for the looks of the one above but do really like the looks of this EF team bike supers evo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t7Fb26LXKU
I agree, the current model is probably the best looking bike in the peloton. Even with FSA rings and cockpit.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:45 PM

i don't love it, don't hate it... but i'm gonna get used to it. maybe eventually like it.
kinda like the 4-arm cranks.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky View Post
Are they bringing back that retro cannondale font/logo? I dig these.
That old-school font is the best! Now if they'd bring back the little triangle barn on the headtube, I wouldn't be any closer to getting one, but I would appreciate it.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:07 PM

I too am not a fan of the dropped seat stays (aesthetics, rear brake caliper routing but with everything going towards hydroelectric this will be a moot point) but find the “all bikes look the same now” comment intriguing. Same can be said for vintage lugged steel frames but people remember those times fondly. What am I missing here? The silhouette of the race bike has evolved and will continue to.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpang922 View Post
I too am not a fan of the dropped seat stays (aesthetics, rear brake caliper routing but with everything going towards hydroelectric this will be a moot point) but find the “all bikes look the same now” comment intriguing. Same can be said for vintage lugged steel frames but people remember those times fondly. What am I missing here? The silhouette of the race bike has evolved and will continue to.
Problem is .... the silhouette of the race bike really hadn't evolved that much since the beginning of serious racing.

The biggest geometry change was with the TCR, and for many it was revolutionary at the time. But for the most part the double triangle look was consistent for almost 100 years.

I posted this over at weightweenies but it's relevant here. Check out this post's pictures and marvel how the basic frame design remained unchanged up until the advent of widespread carbon bikes in the late 90's
https://gizmodo.com/100-years-of-tou...n-of-709973821
Old 06-27-2019, 10:54 PM

At least back in the day when all bikes looked the same they looked good!! That's basically what I meant when I said that. Level top tubes, stays that met at the seat cluster.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:32 AM

no thank you.

i still miss my caad9. wish i could have kept that. didn't have the room, it drew the short straw when it came time to do the n-1 thing.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
That old-school font is the best! Now if they'd bring back the little triangle barn on the headtube, I wouldn't be any closer to getting one, but I would appreciate it.
Actually, that wasn't a barn but the Cannondale train station in Connecticut. See the cover of the 1983 catalog.

https://vintagecannondale.com/year/1983/1983.pdf
Old 06-28-2019, 01:37 AM
DELETE ACCNT

I'm a little disappointed that Cdale didn't keep the S6E traditional. It was a standout because of it.

Cdale seems to have caved to the fashion, and went the same as everyone else.
I'm not a fan of the graphics but maybe it looks better in real life.

I've always wanted a S6E but maybe the current one in Rapha oilslick will be the collectors item to own.
I used to race on the CAAD bikes and have fond memories of it. I think the CAAD 10 was my last Cdale.

Did they raise the headtubes on the new S6E? It looks strangely tall. Not sure if you can get a proper position with that.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
I'm a little disappointed that Cdale didn't keep the S6E traditional. It was a standout because of it.

Cdale seems to have caved to the fashion, and went the same as everyone else.

Did they raise the headtubes on the new S6E? It looks strangely tall. Not sure if you can get a proper position with that.
Don't think it's "caved to fashion" by not keeping it traditional, but rather caved to physics and aerodynamics. When the pros aren't winning on your bikes and they're empirically proven to be much slower than the competition it's tough on the marketing end to justify the super-high prices for a performance machine. Whether it's because of the machine or not doesn't matter when it comes to attracting eyeballs, foot traffic and dollars.

Also, see the geo charts for the newer ride. Seems to have made it slightly higher position by 3mm shorter reach and 7mm higher stack for the 56cm. Don't know whether this is to accommodate the integrated handlebars and/or new stem spacer and cable routing setup, but it definitely could effect fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
At least back in the day when all bikes looked the same they looked good!! That's basically what I meant when I said that. Level top tubes, stays that met at the seat cluster.
This statement is just an objective observation. For one person they can't find a race bike attractive that doesn't have the classical proportions, for others something like this makes some of the old bikes look like toys in comparison....
Old 06-28-2019, 09:51 AM

There's so much facepalm marketing here.

It's an aero bike...

But the head-tube is 1.5cm taller on the 58.

It's an aero bike...

But go ahead and put 30mm+ tires on it.

It's an aero bike...

But you're stuck with too much rise, not enough length, and too much width in the bar/stem.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a properly race-fit SS Evo from last year w some aero bars/wheels and 25c tires will be just as fast/efficient at normal 18-22mph speeds on normal pavement as this bike with all of its comfort-compromises.

But hey, it's good for the custom bike biz, so - win/win?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2019, 10:30 AM

the new versions of cannondales make me appreciate my CAAD10 even more.

Such a classic look and feel. Even with a bunch of miles on it.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:38 AM
Steel..what else??

I can't.

Always loved CAAD's.